Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Fender Strats and String Trees

Thread: Fender Strats and String Trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Strats and String Trees

I was looking at Fender MIM Strats at the Guitar Center near my parents' place. I noticed that all of them had a very low string tree on the E and B strings. It forced the string down at a very sharp angle. I can't imagine that would help tuning stability at all. Looking at the whammy bar funny would throw it out of tune. Have you Strat owners noticed anything with that? Do you replace the string tree?

FWIW, my Showmaster has two string trees but it doesn't force the string at such an angle. Also it's a fixed bridge so there's no whammy damage to be inflicted. It has a graphite nut as opposed to the MIM's plastic which would help too I'm sure.
    Last edited by marnold; August 8th, 2007 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Spellinj
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding (could be wrong) you can adjust the height of the string trees, so it my just be a poor setup.. I have looked at many "new" USA and MIM strats at the local shops and I can say without a doubt they are by far the lowest quality Fender products I have seen since the CBS years. Mind you I have not touched the ones out of reach, so I will hope they are the cream-of the-crop.
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jampy
    From my understanding (could be wrong) you can adjust the height of the string trees, so it my just be a poor setup.. I have looked at many "new" USA and MIM strats at the local shops and I can say without a doubt they are by far the lowest quality Fender products I have seen since the CBS years. Mind you I have not touched the ones out of reach, so I will hope they are the cream-of the-crop.
    I bought a MIM standard strat early this year and there was no spacer under the string tree, it was just screwed down flat to the wood. I found several very small washers (from radio controlled aircraft days) and installed them under the tree.
    '71 Martin D-18
    Agile AL-2000
    Epi Elitist LP "Tak"
    Epi Sheraton 2
    Fender Standard Strat (MIM)
    G&L ASAT Classic Bluesboy
    Schecter C-1+
    SX STL50 (Tele clone)
    Washburn WI66PRO

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a sloppy install. If installed perfectly, the angle of the D & G strings should follow the angle of the A, with the B & E then following the angle of the A, D, & G. The low E is usually at a more acute angle due to the close proimity of the post to the nut.

Now that's how you would probably do it if you were the one installing the trees. Generally, the string angles should be close to the above mentioned ideal, but are usually not exact (but better than what you described seeing).

Post Thanks / Like

String trees? What string trees?? Love that roller nut on the Strat Plus!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

An inexpensive fix for that is to order some Graph Tech string trees from Stewart McDonald. They work pretty well. I rarely have difficulties with my strats going out of tune with the bridge floating.

I always lubricate the nut slots with graphite (a pencil works well), and make sure the strings are stretched well when I put a new set on. I keep my action pretty low with 10's at 2/32" of an inch at the 17th fret. With 9's the action usually has to be set a bit higher, but they still stay in tune fairly well for me.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I got tired of having my trees grab my strings and make my guitar go out of tune so I took them both off. It worked ok for the D and G but I lost a lot of volume and sustain on the B and E so I put it back on.

I now have the Fender roller trees that come on the USA Strats. I wish I could say if I notice a difference but I quit using the tremolo on that guitar. Maybe I'll unblock it and see what happens. But, Ya, Nut Sauce or graphite in the nut helps a lot too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    String trees? What string trees?? Love that roller nut on the Strat Plus!
    Me to, makes life a little easier
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the reason it particularly struck me is because my Showmaster has decent height string trees. Granted, it originally retailed for much more than the MIM Strat I saw, but still. I can't imagine they save money with an itty bitty string tree as opposed to one with a decent post. I could tell just by looking at the MIM that the trem would never ever stay in tune. My Showmaster is a hard tail, so that's a non-issue anyway.

Of course, the Speedloader on my Floyd eliminates the trees and even the machine heads altogether!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I suggest replacing them with the modern american model string trees. They have very little friction and aid tuning stability. Last time I bought them they were $5.99 for a pack of two.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I put Sperzel staggered height locking tuners on my American Standard Strat. That allowed me to get rid of the string trees all together. I might be crazy but I actually think I can hear more acoustic resonance now. The guitar seems to sound better without them. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I too installed the staggered height tuners on my Strat and I lost the sound of the E and B strings so I put the tree back on for those stings and it sounds way better. Those two light gauge strings have a lot more resonance with the tree than without the tree on my guitar.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I too installed the staggered height tuners on my Strat and I lost the sound of the E and B strings so I put the tree back on for those stings and it sounds way better. Those two light gauge strings have a lot more resonance with the tree than without the tree on my guitar.
    I had the same experience. The staggered posts on the Sperzels lowered the string angle, but not enough. I put the string tree back on the B & E strings as well.