Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning how to sing better

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for tips, Jim! Appreciated!

I like to sing in the car (when I'm driving alone) for practice. I think I sound good in the car! But only in the car - not anywhere else.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Thanks for tips, Jim! Appreciated!

I like to sing in the car (when I'm driving alone) for practice. I think I sound good in the car! But only in the car - not anywhere else.
    Record yourself singing in the car and then you will know exactly what you sound like, and that can be a step toward getting to the level of competence that you desire.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I like to sing in the car too. It's the only place where I can experiment and not feel bad if it sounds like crap.

I agree with Spudman. Record your own voice on a song that you like. You don't have to play it for anyone but yourself, but you can get a view into what you sound like. The other thing that you might try is recording your voice on a song and double it. Record two separate tracks of your voice doing the same part then pan them hard Left and Right. You would be surprised how good your voice will sound. It will also help you to hear some qualities to your voice that you might not be aware of. Listen to any Paul Simon records and you will hear them using this technique alot. They also did this alot for many of the Beatle recordings to make the lead vocals sound a little fatter.

One of my friends wanted to make a recording for his wife as a Birthday present. He is not a serious singer and his voice was a little weak, but we recorded his voice in this doubled tracked stereo method and it sounded amazing. I was surprised at how good he sounded. His wife was very pleased.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Singing in the car is a good thing. I do it all the time.

Hopefully you'll get a lot better than I!

Singing in a live sitch with a band or otherwise in performance (even if only at a practice or private party or what have you) is especially good too, same as for guitar. For whatever reason the interaction of the vocalist with the other players (not to mention the possible, hopefully objective, feedback from the others) seems to often take things to another level not attainable when just practising by oneself. It also provides additional challenges such as proper microphone technique and learning to translate hearing oneself internally into realizing what one sounds like to others if there are problems with not being able to hear oneself in the PA over the accompaniment. While these things could be considered negatives, I'm firmly of the belief that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And overcoming those problems is something you will have to deal with later if you are looking to perform vocally live anyhow.

A couple weeks ago I played in an un-air-conditioned concert hall where the onstage heat index was no doubt in excess of 100 F, with no vocal monitors, and a full 4-piece band backing. Sooner or later, most live performers are going to have to face some kind of adverse performance sitch, so the closer you can practice to actual stage circumstances the better off you'll be when the caca hits the fan.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12