Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Do you have a request for a video lesson?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a request for a video lesson?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you have a request for a video lesson?

I am running out of ideas for useful guitar video lessons. I like doing them, but I think I need some fresh ideas.

Have any ideas?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Have any ideas?
    What about Favorite Riffs in the style of...
    With maybe a few riffs some artist you like has done in certain songs..
    Using a backtrack, can be put together and grown on to make your own solos etc.
    Something that can be carried to other music for example.
    explaining the songs it is used in..
    and what it would sound good using in.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds like a good one!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have been waiting for this question. Can you show how to do a simple Minor 12 bar blues solo? You have done the scales, both up and down. I am still confused or I just don’t get it. Can you make a blues solo by showing how to skip strings, maybe sliding up or down a few frets. I can play up and down the scale with no problem (1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4). I can not figure out what to do to get out of this rut. Spuds has told me to “Just play”. Well it stinks when I just play!

A simple video on your old tune "Late Evening Fumblin' Blues" would be highly welcomed by me.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, an E minor blues? The chords would be E minor, A minor and B minor then, to make it as simple as possible?

What do you mean by
    I can play up and down the scale with no problem (1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4).
    I don't understand what that means.

And which song is "Late Evening Fumblin' Blues"? I don't recognize that title.

Justa, good idea! Got any backing tracks you can fire off in my direction for this?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert - The 1-4, 1-3, 1-3, 1-3, 1-4, 1-4 (A-C, D-E, G-A, C-D, E-F#, A-C) is the frets played from the low E to th high e strings. In some books it is one of so called "five boxes". I also understand the E minor, A minor and B minor chord progression. I do not know how else to explain what I am asking for. It is probably so simple for you that you are not understanding. Boy this is frustrating. Hopefully another Fretter can explain better than me what I am asking for and trying to learn. Like I said in the past, this is one hard brick wall for me to break through.

OK, I will trying it this way. Make a simple video of you playing over the "Late Evening Fumblin' Blues" backing track from a previous post and explain how you put your MOJO on it. Explain the slurs, bends, slides and all the other MOJO used for playing solos. A short 12 bar blues, but remember to keep it SIMPLE for a simple minded guy ... me.
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey what about explaining the Nashville chord system? 1-4-5, 2-5-1 etc. This could give folks a better chance when jamming new tunes with real experienced players.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose a request for a "How to not suck on guitar anymore" lesson is probably a little too broad and open-ended, huh?

Re: Tim's posting, I think he's referring to the minor pentatonic scale "box 1" position fingering.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some ideas...

* Maybe some open string country licks like Brent Mason.

* In your B7 Jazz / Blues Lick vid you do a nice rhythm figure at 0:12 - 0:17. Maybe some more examination of this type of rhythm.

* Closer looks at some of the funk rhythms.

* More movable chord shapes

Cheers and HTH,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    What about Favorite Riffs in the style of...
    With maybe a few riffs some artist you like has done in certain songs..
    Using a backtrack, can be put together and grown on to make your own solos etc.
    Something that can be carried to other music for example.
    explaining the songs it is used in..
    and what it would sound good using in.
    I am going to re-state my support for Justa's idea. This would be perfect for me right now. Some lick "arrows" to stick in my quiver with some knowledge how to use them.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I suppose a request for a "How to not suck on guitar anymore" lesson is probably a little too broad and open-ended, huh?

Re: Tim's posting, I think he's referring to the minor pentatonic scale "box 1" position fingering.

VooDoo - You hit the nail on the head with the first paragraph. You explained exactly what I was trying to say in the second.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Justa, good idea! Got any backing tracks you can fire off in my direction for this?
    Thanks for supporting the idea Robert.. But I would think you would know best which riffs your comfortable with and transfer from one song to another..

I know Gilmourish.com has some wonderful backings for well, Pink Floyd type songs if you know certain riffs David Gilmour does...

GuitarBT.com has many others... I guess it would depend on what you wish to teach.

As in support for TIM.. I think a lesson called breaking out of the box would be in order... A lesson showing how you go from say low strings in the low E and A and progress up the neck to the High E or something like that a few box patterns down.. adding tension and taking it away? boxes I never learned.. and it shows..lol.. but I think that's what tim means..putting the neck all together for different sounds in the pentatonic in any Key..
    Did that make sense? lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I suspect that I will tell the viewer to not get stuck in boxes...

We all want to play good music, right? Learn some basic pentatonic notes (boxes, or whatever way you can remember) and the make something good out if. That's how I think.

I don't think anyone wants to sound like pentatonic box player. What this means is I would talk about phrasing, repetition and trying to convey how to use few notes to sound good.

Would that be interesting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes Robert that would. I also think what Tim wants and what Justa suggested relate well to one another. (Tim, tell me if I am wrong on this) Tim wants a way to move around and up and down using, but not locked into, scales less mechanically. Justa was talking about licks in the style of . . . say BB King (not so many notes, great licks?), or SRV, or Buddy Guy, or whatever. Someone suggested some Nashville type licks. Those, if I understand correctly, are often less pentatonic. If one learns a few licks and learns what they sound good with, a guy can get ideas to form his own. I am interested in learning some good old standby blues licks to jam with. Knowing some chromatic shifts helps to mix it up. Knowing some Nashville to make it sound different yet breaks it up more. Am I making sense?

I just taught myself the melody of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" because my Dad was playing it on the sax on our vacation and I love how he sounds when he does it. I figured it out starting with the basic pentatonic box at 10-12/13, and had to add some notes not in that strict scale to make it work. I guess that is not a lick, but a melody that I knew that I had to leave the box to obtain. I guess learning some licks that can be mixed and matched that are in the style of could do a lot also to add some tools for breaking out of the box and just playing.

On the other hand, maybe what Tim is asking and what Justa was suggesting are better being separate but related lessons. LOL! Go ahead Libra Steve, contradict yourself some more.

BTW, thanks so much for listening to us to prepare some new video lessons to help us. I so appreciate it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone wants to sound like pentatonic box player. What this means is I would talk about phrasing, repetition and trying to convey how to use few notes to sound good.

Would that be interesting?
    OK, I will forget about any boxes. Your above statement sounds perfect, but please keep it simple. Nothing fancy, at least for me.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I would like some examples of simple blues, jazz and rock bass lines that we could use for recording our own songs. Nothing extravagant but simple so we could make our own backing tracks to jam to. I have the drums covered with Beatcraft, which I think is a great program.

I would like to see some of Leslie West's licks maybe not so much Mississippi Queen but other licks. I would like to get a bit of his feel. He claims to be a two finger player but I like his flow or feel and would like to get some of it down.

Just a thought.

Thanks for all your help.

M29
    Last edited by M29; August 10th, 2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Added text

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yes Robert that would. I also think what Tim wants and what Justa suggested relate well to one another. (Tim, tell me if I am wrong on this) Tim wants a way to move around and up and down using, but not locked into, scales less mechanically. Justa was talking about licks in the style of . . . say BB King (not so many notes, great licks?), or SRV, or Buddy Guy, or whatever. Someone suggested some Nashville type licks. Those, if I understand correctly, are often less pentatonic. If one learns a few licks and learns what they sound good with, a guy can get ideas to form his own. I am interested in learning some good old standby blues licks to jam with. Knowing some chromatic shifts helps to mix it up. Knowing some Nashville to make it sound different yet breaks it up more. Am I making sense?

I just taught myself the melody of Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World" because my Dad was playing it on the sax on our vacation and I love how he sounds when he does it. I figured it out starting with the basic pentatonic box at 10-12/13, and had to add some notes not in that strict scale to make it work. I guess that is not a lick, but a melody that I knew that I had to leave the box to obtain. I guess learning some licks that can be mixed and matched that are in the style of could do a lot also to add some tools for breaking out of the box and just playing.

On the other hand, maybe what Tim is asking and what Justa was suggesting are better being separate but related lessons. LOL! Go ahead Libra Steve, contradict yourself some more.

BTW, thanks so much for listening to us to prepare some new video lessons to help us. I so appreciate it.
    Steve - You are dead on, as was VooDoo in stating what I posted.

I fine your second paragraph very interesting. Especially Louis Armstrong's song"What a Wonderful World". It is one of my favorites by Louie.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

Maybe do a short bit on a number of different players. BB King has his BB box maybe show a bit of that then maybe do a quick Santana thing that kind of sums up the main part of his style. Maybe a quick bit of Jimmy Page's style that he is well known for. Definitely Jimi and so on. Each one could be relatively short but give a taste of each style that we could grab onto to experiment with. A few lessons could be done over time with this.

Just a thought.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Robert,

BB King has his BB box maybe show a bit of that
    M29
    Yup... thats about what I meant.. depending on what styles Robert likes and understands himself.. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lesso...technique.html has the b.b. king box example.. now for a Video... taking this and showing the riffs.. would be an added bonus...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast