Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
BBE Soul Vibe

Thread: BBE Soul Vibe

Post Thanks / Like

Default BBE Soul Vibe

Does anyone have any experience with this pedal? I'm wanting this one or the Voodoo Labs Microvibe. The sound clips off the BBE website and youtube sound pretty cool. I like how the blue LED lights up to show the speed of the modulation.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I listened to the demos on their site. Didn't impress me that much. I think the Microvibe is da way to go.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I really like the Microvibe too. Only $20 more.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Followup. Well I don't need a vibe anymore. I have this now.

Attachment 1208

At 80-90% it does a good vibe sound. A little faster and it does a rotating leslie. Not bad for a phase pedal.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you gotta record some Van Halen stuff for us now! "Running With The Devil" maybe?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Wow, you gotta record some Van Halen stuff for us now! "Running With The Devil" maybe?
    I wonder how that would sound on a Tele? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Followup. Well I don't need a vibe anymore. I have this now.

Attachment 1208

At 80-90% it does a good vibe sound. A little faster and it does a rotating leslie. Not bad for a phase pedal.
    W-A-A-A-A-Y-Y too few knobs & toggles! What you really need is one of these:

More knobs!! More toggles!! It doesn't have the fancy striped paint job, though I'm skeptical that that influences the tone very much!

Seriously, I've read excellent things about that EVH Phase 90. I'm sure you two will be very happy together....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're onto something with that pedal. What are the technical comparisons between phasing and vibing there Cliffy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I think you're onto something with that pedal. What are the technical comparisons between phasing and vibing there Cliffy?
    Well, it's a little-known fact that....

The MXR Phase 90 upon which this modified build is based has four phase-shift stages; each pair of stages generates one cancellation "notch". The stock stage configuration uses a capacitor of the same rating in each stage, in this case 0.05uf. To give the more uneven warbling sound of a Univibe, the best approach would be to use four different caps over a fairly broad range of capacitance ratings. However, to implement that modification is very difficult; you'd need a 4PDT switch (I've heard they exist, but have never seen one) and it would make the other mods much more complicated to do. Consequently, the mod I used changes just two of the four caps, which can be handled with an on/on DPDT switch. So flipping from P to V changes the caps in two of the stages from the stock 0.05uf to 0.0022uf for one stage and 1.0uf for the other. Candidly, the change in sound is still pretty subtle. While it makes the output a bit "vibier" in character, nobody is going to remotely mistake it for a true Univibe.

As far as the 90/45 switch goes, that one is very straightforward. The Phase 45 uses only two phase-shift stages to generate a single cancellation notch and thus has a more subtle sound than the Phase 90. The toggle merely allows you to bypass two of the phase stages with the signal when flipped to the 45 position.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    W-A-A-A-A-Y-Y too few knobs & toggles! What you really need is one of these:

More knobs!! More toggles!! It doesn't have the fancy striped paint job, though I'm skeptical that that influences the tone very much!

Seriously, I've read excellent things about that EVH Phase 90. I'm sure you two will be very happy together....
    WOW! Hey, I'm working so much, I hardly ever get home to check in with you guys... are you building these to sell, Vood, or are you just teasing us?
    Seriously.... I need one...
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    WOW! Hey, I'm working so much, I hardly ever get home to check in with you guys... are you building these to sell, Vood, or are you just teasing us?
    Seriously.... I need one...
    I really haven't decided yet whether I'll offer the Phaze Craze for sale or not. The pedal works GREAT--the additional controls really let you shape the character of the phasing to a much greater degree than the one-knob MXR Phase 90 upon which it's based. This clever multi-feature modification was developed and posted by one of the resident geniuses (genii?) over at the BYOC forums. It has one minor design issue, though. For some unknown reason, the "Mix" pot makes a staticky noise when turned, even though it's completely quiet at rest. At first, I thought it was just a bad pot, but another guy built the same pedal modification and reported exactly the same behavior. So it's quite clearly something in the circuit itself.

Anyway, OG, at this point I have to answer your question with a quotation by the legendary Sam Goldwyn: "All I can give you is a definite maybe!"

BTW, if you're interested, I posted links to a couple of clips of the pedal played in combination with the "Rabid Rodent" modified ProCo Rat clone I built recently. This combo produces a pretty convincing Hendrix/Trower sound. You can check 'em out in THIS THREAD.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!