Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Springsteen's magic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springsteen's magic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Springsteen's magic

Any other Bruce fans out there? New album Oct. and tour coming, probably last one for the band. I'm a diehard and will catch a few concerts at least. Anyone else?
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Helliot, I am a pretty big fan! Here a a couple threads I started.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ht=springsteen
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ht=springsteen

I like most all of the band's work up through The River, then it is hit and miss with me. Love his songwriting, and love the big band esp. when Clarence has his chops on.

If they come close enough I might try to catch it. Depends on price. GAS might prevent the big concert expense.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Felt kind of the same way when Clapton rolled into town a few months ago. I've seen him a number of times, and when my wife asked me if I wanted to go, I feigned interest. "Well if I get tickets, would you go?", and with that, I responded, "well . . . OK."

So we get to the show, and immediately Clapton's touring band roars through the better part of the Derek & The Dominos Live at the Fillmore set, with Doyle Bramhall II and Eric trading extended solos throughout the first three or four numbers. After re-attaching my jaw from its floor-bound position, my wife smiles at me, and says, "Aren't you glad I talked you into coming?"

"Yeah, baby, I sure am."

There'll always be gear to buy, Sun . . . but only a finite amount of times that the Boss and Co. will be on tour. Put that next purchase on hold, and get out and see him. Those memories will be with you forever. J.

Post Thanks / Like

I get the inconsistency thing with Bruce. Some of my album buys and concert things have been more out of loyalty than anything. But I hear that this one is the real deal, with a rock and roll sensibility that we haven't seen for a bit. I read on the annoying fansite that making this album, most of the band came in and did their things with O'Brien, but Bruce insisted on being there to work with Clarence. That made me think this could be the real deal -- Bruce getting back to the essence. We'll see what the music brings, but out of loyalty or sheer love and enthusiasm, I'm probably doing some serious driving for the upcoming tour, the last for the E Streeters probably.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Felt kind of the same way when Clapton rolled into town a few months ago. I've seen him a number of times, and when my wife asked me if I wanted to go, I feigned interest. "Well if I get tickets, would you go?", and with that, I responded, "well . . . OK."

So we get to the show, and immediately Clapton's touring band roars through the better part of the Derek & The Dominos Live at the Fillmore set, with Doyle Bramhall II and Eric trading extended solos throughout the first three or four numbers. After re-attaching my jaw from its floor-bound position, my wife smiles at me, and says, "Aren't you glad I talked you into coming?"

"Yeah, baby, I sure am."

There'll always be gear to buy, Sun . . . but only a finite amount of times that the Boss and Co. will be on tour. Put that next purchase on hold, and get out and see him. Those memories will be with you forever. J.

Nelskie... BABY! Your back!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Nelskie... BABY! Your back!
    PARTAAAYYY!!!TIME!!WOOOHOO!! HI,NELS
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

"Yeah, baby, I sure am."

Lookie here what the cat done dragged in.........Ole Nelski aint seen you since Moby Dick was a minnow...hope all is cool in your little corner of this here planetary orb!

I caught EC on this last tour as well great show but the sound cound have been better. Bruce ...well I havent kept up with him liked the early stuff then he seemed to go in a darker depressing vibe for a while. Guess I have to revisit his tuneage to form a current opinion.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Grew up in NJ, and I am a big Springsteen fan. Haven't seen him in years, but man does that guy ever know how to put on a show. Some of his albums I love and some not so much, but I'm always willing to give his new efforts a listen.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mr. King used to quote his lyrics once in a while back in the day at the beginning of chapters. Happen to know you are a King fan. ;-) If he comes to SLC, I will probably try to go. In addition to his older stuff I reference above, I also really liked "The Rising" after it came out. It somehow really hit with me after the tragedy of 9/11.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

"Yeah, baby, I sure am."

N-man!!! Wassup, Bro'?? Just passing through or think you might stop back in kind of regular-like? We miss your strong views and inimitable writing talents, ya know!! Been kinda like steak without the A-1 around here without ya....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm guilty. Someone sent me a link to the leaked mp3 of the first single from Magic, Radio Nowhere. I absolutely love it. Driving guitar, wailing sax solo, great Max power drumming. If this is what the album promises, I'm thrilled.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Nelskie, nice to hear from you. If the opportunity arises, I just may take that advice. Hope to hear more from you soon!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Picked up the album this weekend. Certainly nothing on there that I would consdier a "classic," but I don't hold songwriters to having to write "classics" every time they put out a new collection. Most of these are very good songs, and it's great to hear Bruce writing songs like this again, as well as unleashing the E Street Band on this kind of material. None of the songs may be classics, but many harken back to the classic sound of Springsteen, and that makes this album a very enjoyable listen. Basically, if you like Bruce, you'll like this.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Very good analysis, I think. You can hear stuff from nearly all of this periods, from The River right up to The Rising, even a hint of Greetings from Asbury Park (Living in the Future).
    I like that he sings more. Haven't heard him use his voice this way before, as he does on tracks such as You'll be Comin Down and Your Own Worst Enemy. Also, while the lyrics are not super strong on this record, there are some gems, including,
    "Then just about sundown
    You come walking' through town
    Your boot heels clickin'
    Like the barrel of a pistol spinnin' 'round

And, my favourite to date, from I'll Work for your Love
    "Pour me a drink Theresa
    In one of those glasses you dust off
    And I'll watch the bones in your back
    Like the Stations of the Cross."

I find it interesting that one of the criticisms being levelled at him is that this album sounds derivative. Yeah, it does, derivative of his earlier work. The guy gets slammed for sounding too much like himself. To me, that's kinda like criticizing the Beatles for not naming The White Album.

Anyway, it's pretty clear I have a rather strong bias. I like the album a lot, and can't wait to see the show Oct. 15 in Toronto. First of two Phillie shows on the weekend was pretty rough, apparently, and the second was a knockout punch, according to press and fan reviews.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure some of the same critics disparaging Bruce for sounding too much like his old self are the same ones who have spent the last ten years disparaging albums like "The Ghost of Tom Joad" and "Devils & Dust" as sounding not enough like his old self. There are those that offer educated analyses and there are those that simply criticize negatively because they think they are supposed to. My thoughts are that Bruce's latest output, while derivative of his own material, is still better than the slew of bands [ie. The Killers] who are simply ripping off Bruce's old sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Too true. They guy is blessed to have such a loyal fan base, but by the same token they (we?) can also be the most hypercritical. Mixed blessing I guess.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott
    Too true. They guy is blessed to have such a loyal fan base, but by the same token they (we?) can also be the most hypercritical. Mixed blessing I guess.
    And I have no problem admitting that I am among the most hypercritical of them all [in fact, I pride myself on it]. I think it's a matter of putting things in their proper contexts. If Springsteen was promoting this as his "greatest album since Born to Run" then I'd be all over him. He's not though. It's just a new album with his classic sound. If that's all you expect from the album, it won't disappoint.

Post Thanks / Like

I never cared much for Springsteen, I always found him a bit boring.

I did, however, take a wiz next to him at an Elvis Costello concert. After we exited the bathroom a friend of mine asked him when his next album was coming out; he said soon. That was Born in the USA. After we were done chatting a chick (yes, Strumster she was a chick) looked at us with wide eyes & asked if *that was the Boss?!?* We nodded & she dashed up the stairs after him.

But the most important part of this thread is that there was a Nelskie sighting that I somehow missed.

Come on back Nelsk!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I never cared much for Springsteen, I always found him a bit boring.

I did, however, take a wiz next to him at an Elvis Costello concert. After we exited the bathroom a friend of mine asked him when his next album was coming out; he said soon. That was Born in the USA. After we were done chatting a chick (yes, Strumster she was a chick) looked at us with wide eyes & asked if *that was the Boss?!?* We nodded & she dashed up the stairs after him.

But the most important part of this thread is that there was a Nelskie citing that I somehow missed.

Come on back Nelsk!
    Reminds me of a time a friend of mine was in a bathroom with Keyshawn Johnson [who was playing for the Bucs at the time]. As soon as Key was done at the urinal another guy in the bathroom asked for an autograph, to which Key responded "Do you mind if I wash my hands first?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast