Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: V-Picks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    V-picks are great, but I dont think that they are very resistant. I have worn down mine quite a bit. Dunlop 2.0 (the black heavy one) would be my recommendation of a really durable pick.
    REALLY? I sure don't get this comment often. As a matter of fact, I think you are the first one! What are you doing with those picks?

Post Thanks / Like

I use it in the mine, thats what picks are for right?
    No really, I dig (pun intended) it and it is my no1 choice for jazz but since I play with it every day I have started to see the edges get rounder and rounder (something lovely when you play jazz and blues but not that great when you play the hard rock stuff tremoloman were talking about. That is why I think that the Dunlop heavy 2.0 would be a better screaming solo pick for tremoloman than the V-pick.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

You guys that bought the V picks, what do you think of them now?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like 'em!

I think also Vinnie has more options for them now than when I got mine.

They are definitely worth a try, I tell ya.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I like 'em!

I think also Vinnie has more options for them now than when I got mine.

They are definitely worth a try, I tell ya.
    But is it your 'go to' pick? Do you use it more than not use it?

Post Thanks / Like

It's not my go-to pick because I am afraid to lose it... I only have 3 of them. I use Dunlop Gator 2mm most, because they are cheap and I have many.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    You guys that bought the V picks, what do you think of them now?
    Yowza Spud, spooky timing.

I have more & more been going to the V-Pick for lead. So much so, that I just placed an order for a few more: Yesterday!

Not so good for rhythm (at least I haven't been able to get them to work well), but if you want to go fast & smooth & have a big fat tone, these are the ones.

Mine all have rounded corners. I use something else if I want a lot of bite.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my V-picks from time to time. I am more a big stubby kind of guy ;-)
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, all...

FYI, Vinni has gone production with moulded V-Picks in addition to the custom shop models. They are very similar in performance and the quality is still top-notch.

He tells me that he is setting up some large distributor accounts and will be at the Anaheim NAMM Show in Anaheim in January to meet/greet and promote his products.

I've tried many (most) of his V-Pick models and they all have unique personalities of their own, just like instruments themselves do.

Vinni is a great guy and deserves the support of the guitar community. Give him a call, he loves to talk about his picks, music, and guitars in general.
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Post Thanks / Like

So Vinni
    I want to get some of your picks, but I'm still confused on which to get.
    I use conventional shaped Tortex between .88 and 2mm. Which of yours will I be most comfortable with?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a comment about Vinni's picks, but pics in general. I've never seen so much interest in a pick and never realized the importance put in a pick.

My friends say I use too thin of a pick (my favorite is Snarling Dog Brain Picks .060). What makes these V picks so special. Even reading the entire thread I am not getting any "wow" factor from what I read. Can someone be a little more detailed in what are the positive points about this pick?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Strum!

In a "nutshell", consensus is that the picks allow you to play faster and to get a bigger tone. This is said to be because of the design and materials. Reading comments in a number of threads on other forums, a lot of people are like "man, this thing is too darn thick for me to play with" and once they give it a chance after just a few minutes, most players feel right at home with it.

You're right...I, too, have never seen such a fuss made over something as simple as a pick before. They are pretty cool, though, and deserve all of the respect they get for what they do.
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Post Thanks / Like

So Vinni
    I want to get some of your picks, but I'm still confused on which to get.
    I use conventional shaped Tortex between .88 and 2mm. Which of yours will I be most comfortable with?
    I like to start folks off with the Medium V-Pick Rounded 2.55mm. It really is our flagship model. It is what V-Picks are all about. It demonstrates all the claims that V-Picks boast, like bigger tone, faster playing and gripping feel.

I also have just added a new deal package called the Fab Four. It is made up of my best V-Picks. The biggest sellers. They are all molded picks that we painstakingly go over with a razor blade (literally) before they leave this door to make sure you get a premium playing and sounding pick that you won't soon forget.

My personal favorite V-Pick is the Large Rounded. Carlos Santana's favorite is the Freakishly Large Rounded. Paul Reed Smith likes the Large Lites.

Thanks for the question Spudman. If you have any more questions, you can call me at 209 324 1788 anytime.

vinni
    You don't need a different guitar!
    You need a different guitar pick!

www.v-picks.com

Post Thanks / Like

I received this set from Vinnie. http://www.v-picks.com/FabFour.html

I've been using the largest of the bunch for a while and here are some of my observations.

They take a little getting used to. After decades of using regular picks I had to force myself to think about my attack differently. Once I did make a change the v pick is pretty satisfying in what I can get from it.
    It's easier to activate the strings into motion. The attack sort of blooms along with the note. It's almost impossible to drop it. I don't have to try as hard to play. It does change your sound and I've only used it with an electric.

There are a couple of limitations for me but I find those limitations slowly easing away the more I use it. At first it was accuracy especially when string skipping. Strumming took a while to adapt to as well.

The thing I probably like best about it is that it gives me another tool. One that I can use for different sounds and to also break out of a slump. By switching back and forth between a regular tortex and the v pick it forces me to think differently about my approach to playing the guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

I received this set from Vinnie. http://www.v-picks.com/FabFour.html

I've been using the largest of the bunch for a while and here are some of my observations.

They take a little getting used to. After decades of using regular picks I had to force myself to think about my attack differently. Once I did make a change the v pick is pretty satisfying in what I can get from it.
    It's easier to activate the strings into motion. The attack sort of blooms along with the note. It's almost impossible to drop it. I don't have to try as hard to play. It does change your sound and I've only used it with an electric.

There are a couple of limitations for me but I find those limitations slowly easing away the more I use it. At first it was accuracy especially when string skipping. Strumming took a while to adapt to as well.

The thing I probably like best about it is that it gives me another tool. One that I can use for different sounds and to also break out of a slump. By switching back and forth between a regular tortex and the v pick it forces me to think differently about my approach to playing the guitar.
    I think you nailed my reaction to them Spud (but I have far less experience to have to adjust).

Strum think of different picks as a cheap way to make slight adjustments to feel and tone.

I've got a little dish of picks & I'll change them depending on my mood. More often than not, I'll use a V-Pick. Particularly if I want a smooth fast fat tone.

The only thing is that they are *perfectly clear* so it might take awhile to find one if you drop it. I haven't lost one yet, but I always play in the same spot in my basement.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same Fab Four set. I don't like the small pointy one, but the two big ones I love. Huge, rounded, thick picks with a really shiny and solid material - I love them!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slides and new pick shapes

Vinni has a new slide out made from the V Pick material and it's getting some good reviews. He'll make them the length you want.
    http://www.v-picks.com/Slides.html?1211248858417

He also has a new pick design. It's small and pointy.

Post Thanks / Like

Vinni has a new slide out made from the V Pick material and it's getting some good reviews. He'll make them the length you want.
    http://www.v-picks.com/Slides.html?1211248858417

He also has a new pick design. It's small and pointy.
    Well what do you know, Spud did try to let us know about the V-slide several weeks back.

I was away from the Fret at the time so I didn't see your post Spud.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Well what do you know, Spud did try to let us know about the V-slide several weeks back.

I was away from the Fret at the time so I didn't see your post Spud.
    I'm simply always thinking about you guys and trying to get the information out. Maybe billboards would work?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast