Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
V-Picks - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: V-Picks

Post Thanks / Like

I find the 1.14 is the perfect size. It's not too thick nor too thin. Also, the Ultex material seems to keep put. I really like this pick. They also last a really long time before they wear out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I like the sound of the Ultex but the size is difficult for me to hang on to. Do you have that problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I've been really liking the Dunlop Ultex sharp 1.14 picks the last few months.
    I like those. I got some when I whined to the GC guy that the tortex and celluloid ones wear out kind of quickly, and he pointed me to the Ultex. They last forever and are pretty nice picks. Mostly these days I just rock the blue tortex though -- they do the trick and there are plenty to go around when I can't find the Ultex.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never noticed any sound difference between picks, unless I've used a coin or something entirely different. Then there is a tiny difference. I just listened to various youtube tests with dozens of pickups made of metal to plastic to whatever, and yeah, while there's slight differences, I would not even notice if every pick was used for one riff of one song and mixed together...that's such a tiny difference it doesn't seem like a factor I'd care about in choosing picks. Way more difference comes from even very small variation of how you hold it, how much pick is exposed between your fingers, the angle of attack, etc. At least I notice that if I use a much heavier pick than usually I automatically change also the picking angle to match so they sound just the same. What I'd like is longevity combined with suitable flex and snappiness as well as hopefully some contouring for thumb and coarse grip area, and not too big or small.

So anyway, always looking for the perfect pick. I used those Jazz III's for a decade but of late much thinner ones, orange Dunlops most recently. I found this great pick brand called 'Wedge' but they aren't available any more and I can't find 'em online either. Maybe there was a name dispute with Dunlop or something. Those were great, shaped with a depression for the thumb and had a coarse grip, although maybe a millimetre or two too far from the picking edge. But that's corrected in an hour which is what it takes for me to wear a pick quite well.

That's the thing I always complain about the local music stores...the only thing they could compete with is having loads of gadgets and cool stuff, accessories and strings and picks that nobody cares to order online, you know, small stuff, but do they? No, they just have amps and guitars and the mandatory pick case they maybe replenish once in two years, so when I find a nice pic there's always like five left, and I buy them all, and after a month when I come back I have to change the brand because no way they have ordered more of those. Satan that pisses me off! :-) Same with single strings - they NEVER have just the gauges I want, always are out of .40's or whatever...it's like they're doing their best to send me shopping online.

Right now I must have a hundred picks lying around, all in various stages of being totally worn out, and I'm using scissors or knives to re-shape them into playable form all the time...I need to go find suitable picks again. Sigh.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    I found this great pick brand called 'Wedge' but they aren't available any more and I can't find 'em online either. Maybe there was a name dispute with Dunlop or something. Those were great, shaped with a depression for the thumb and had a coarse grip, although maybe a millimetre or two too far from the picking edge. But that's corrected in an hour which is what it takes for me to wear a pick quite well.
    Hey Dee, I believe those would be "Wedgies" and they're still around.
    http://www.wedgie.com/

Personally I think that there can be a considerable difference in tone depending on material, thickness and flexibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo View Post
    Personally I think that there can be a considerable difference in tone depending on material, thickness and flexibility.
    I agree. The Snake V-Pick is very sharp sounding (kind of ice-picky) whereas the Dunlop is smooth sounding. I definitely hear
    the difference from the guitar but perhaps it wouldn't be noticeable from the amp output (sort of like when you have less tension
    on the lower E-string in drop-d and you can hear the string bounce about on the guitar but not from the amp).
    Last edited by bcdon; December 28th, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Dee, the big selling point on those Ultex picks is that they last much longer than most other picks, and anecdotally I can attest to that being true, so you might want to pick up a pack and check them out. You might get them to last a bit longer than your other picks.

Just in case you're up for trying something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'll definitely check them out, yeah, if I can find them somewhere! There's a new music store opening up here in place where another quit earlier, and maybe they'll start stocking up picks properly!
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by syo View Post
    Hey Dee, I believe those would be "Wedgies" and they're still around.
    http://www.wedgie.com/

Thanks! That was the pick, wedgie...I still have a bunch of the nylon .60's, those are pretty good!
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I just received a pack of Wedgie 'Rubbers' in my mail. They're 5.0mm (mediums), tried them on acoustic and they're pretty nice. Takes a minute to get used to holding them differently, but pretty much no pick noise at all.

Sent from my rotary-dial wall phone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    LOL. That's how you connect to the internets too? I thought I was the only one!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post
    Thanks for that Zip... 100% awesome!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I started with these picks, a few years ago, and have been using them every since.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789