Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
V-Picks - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: V-Picks

Post Thanks / Like

Electrics: '07 Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique, Oscar Schmidt OE40N Hollowbody aka. "Fat Girl"
    Acoustic: Ibanez AEL20E-TRS
    Bass: Ibanez GIO GSR200
    Amplification: Marshall TSL JCM 2000 head & 1960a cab, Fender Hotrod Deluxe Silverface, Ibanez Soundwave SWX65
    Effects: Boss Chorus, Bad Monkey, BSIABII, Rabid Rodent, Crybaby GCB-95, Rocktron Talk Box
    Apparently everyone in AC/DC is a gnome too. - Reverend Rawk
    DOUBLETAP - 'Northern Maine's Premier Blues Band'.

Post Thanks / Like

Well mine came and I have been using them,I have been using the round end of a pick for a while now,and have even made my own picks from lexan,but these are very nice,I actually like the pointy end of the screamer,I am a lefty play righty so strumming has always felt odd,but I noticed a big difference,cause I play or strum lighter,I might try that 11 mm fat boy to train for a lighter touch,I can see where this will help my playing alot.So yes I'm a convert. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    Man Now I really feel ancient.I remember pumping Ethyl for 35 cents in the late 60's
    That makes me an endangered species remembering gas at $0.17 a gallon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky
    That makes me an endangered species remembering gas at $0.17 a gallon
    Chances are regular was that then but Ethyl or what they now call premium has always cost more
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZoSo65
    I can't wait to try mine!
    I'll lets yous know how it goes!
    have them,use them.love them -Yes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    Chances are regular was that then but Ethyl or what they now call premium has always cost more
    Remember the ads,We get the lead out,They had to put lead in the gas! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Seems interesting...although I find the notion that the pick used, as long as it's in the same ballpark for stiffness/material, would affect the guitar sound noticeably. I think it goes in the same bin as any belief based on nothing tangible until I hear/see an actual test where a robot uses different picks to play and in an A/B test they can be told apart. I don't notice any difference if I use a piece of cardboard or a plexiglass, or play with a piece of wood...but certainly the pick affects the playing feel a lot, and these seem an interesting concept.

Although I was a Dunlop Jazz III guy for a decade now I have been using Wedges for a loong time, .60 soft gray ones...nicely flexible. Have to check these out when I see 'em somewhere.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using these for awhile now,and I really like em,I actually play more with my fingers(I like the way these tuck into the middle finger)I also have a couple more people who use these picks now after I said here try this and gotta a where did you get these there awesome and I do notice a more relaxed grip which loosens up the tense wrist.Sumi

Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I love V picks, and I don't play with anything else. Why would you want to have the axe of your dreams, and play it with a 25cent pick?
    It is important to note, that it will probably the best pick that you have had your fingers on
    Gibson ES 345 TDC
    Gibson ES 225
    Gibson ES 175
    Gibson ES 295
    Gibson ES 350
    Gibson SG
    Fender P Bass 70s
    Fender American Strat Delux
    Fender American Tele
    Alverez Yairi Ani DeFranco
    Fender Twin 65
    Fender Twin 72
    Fender Bassman 70
    Roland JC 120
    Marshall JVM 410 H
    Vintage 30 Stack

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got a q for V-pick users...interested in trying them, but how's their longeivity? Are they much longer lasting than regular nylon/delrin/etc. picks? Because I get maybe 2 practice sessions out of regular picks, and wouldn't mind changing after every session, plus I keep losing a lot of picks as well. Thus spending five bucks per pick seems like, hm, they really should be very good and long-lasting then.

Thanks in advance for any estimate on how well they withstand the everyday plank spanking :-) (a Billy Gibbonism)
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently ordered a variey pack of V-Picks for my guitar teacher*. I gave him a medium round a month ago and he loved it. I ordered a "snake" pick for myself and just got it today. It plays incredibly fast and fits my hand perfectly. I routinely bounce back and forth between different picks/brands but this one is unreal. At $10 it's not cheap for a normal pick but this is no normal pick. 4.10mm thick. Amazing...
    Anyone out there ever tried The Snake?

*Note:
    In Japan it is customary to give a gift in mid-summer (as well as year end), to someone you are indebted to or owe a certain kindness (teachers, doctors, relatives, "superiors" etc.). Usually, this gift will be some kind of food item like fruit, sweets, alcohol etc. However, this year I am giving guitar picks. V-Picks to be specific!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've heard about that Japanese custom, seems some foreign workers have run into some problems not understanding that.

I can understand that misunderstanding; here at least it's customary for the bosses to give their workers some gifts, arrange parties and dinners etc. as a thank you for work well done. Unless it happens, bosses won't be liked so much and may run into trouble with their work force.

But I also understand in Japan workers have a great will to succeed and work hard and please their superiors, here it's more like 'I won't move a muscle more than I'm paid unless I get a hefty special bonus' etc, LOL, and bosses often try to 'butter up' their workers to get better treatment and compliance. Finns don't respond well to hierarchy and no matter how big a boss, workers tend to see them as their equals, just as anybody else - or actually in many cases bosses are seen as incompetent idiots and quite openly sneered at or loudmouthed to, especially in parties when people get drunk - of course by workers they can't fire i.e. have a steady position.

Thus a boss that is a 'buddy' with workers, drinks and parties with them and treats everybody as equal or high respect, plus, since she (or sometimes he, in my company bosses are mostly women) makes more money, arranges nice parties with free drinks etc, often succeeds well.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm not one to wear out picks as quickly as you, but I'm sure it will take you a long time with one of these unless you get the ultra lights. V-Picks are of a really hard acrylic type of material. The pointy shaped kind will round off with use over time, but the thickness should remain.

I've only used the medium pointed so far, but will try the Screamer.

I'd suggest the ruby red version if you lose picks easily, because the stealthy clear ones can disappear and are a be-otch to find!

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

I've used one pick for over a year and haven't had any problems with it. I approve highly of the screamer it is both an acoustic and electric pick. DE I think you would like the SCREAMER very much , it is a medium size pick but can really take the hard playing.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't remember when I got my Screamer, but it is just now showing a bit of wear on the point that I always used. I've switched to another point, even though I really didn't notice a ton of change with the wear. I don't tend to annihilate regular picks, however. The big thing for me is the grip I can get on them followed by the accuracy I can get with the point. Lower wear is a nice bonus, but not as important to me. I suppose that it is good to know that a $4 pick will last me a very long time indeed.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Got a q for V-pick users...interested in trying them, but how's their longeivity?
    Well I've been using them for a couple years and frankly I usually lose them before they get worn out. That said, I do remember one pick getting a little rough around the edges after a couple of months (before I lost it). However they can be smoothed back up with some toothpaste or mild abrasive.

I've heard about that Japanese custom, seems some foreign workers have run into some problems not understanding that.
    Yeah, gift giving is almost a daily part of life here. We've actually had situations where a few people got upset that we gave them midsummer gifts. I guess they felt we didn't owe them anything and now they were obliged to send us gift (thus adding to their already long list of gifts to give) thereafter.
    My wife is Japanese but spent most of her adult life in the US, so much of the gift giving culture we have had to learn as we go.

But I also understand in Japan workers have a great will to succeed and work hard and please their superiors, here it's more like 'I won't move a muscle more than I'm paid unless I get a hefty special bonus' etc, LOL, and bosses often try to 'butter up' their workers to get better treatment and compliance. Finns don't respond well to hierarchy and no matter how big a boss, workers tend to see them as their equals, just as anybody else - or actually in many cases bosses are seen as incompetent idiots and quite openly sneered at or loudmouthed to, especially in parties when people get drunk - of course by workers they can't fire i.e. have a steady position.
    Ah yes, that hierarchy thing. Here, from early childhood until death, you are beholden to those above and hold sway over those below. While it is true that employee loyalty is much higher than in the west, bullying in various forms is common with very few protections. I think most Europeans/N.Americans would not thrive in this system. Fortunately the Japanese company I work for is my own. Your description of Finns in the workplace reminds me of France (where I used to live). I think I would much rather work in that kind of system regardless of the excesses.

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you Canucks order these from? Are they available from within Canada?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just contact Vinnie at www.v-picks.com and he'll take care of your order. Tell him I and the Fret sent ya!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon
    Where do you Canucks order these from? Are they available from within Canada?
    Vinni (and Mrs. V) are usually very fast with the orders. My order from last week shipped within hours and arrived in Japan in 5 days. Really excellent customer service and reasonable shipping cost.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast