Thread: Anyone else have difficulty memorizing tunes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone else have difficulty memorizing tunes?

Does anyone have any advice for how to effectively learn and memorize melodies or lead lines? I don't really have any disciplined form of practice (I just pick up my guitar and screw around) but I've always found it very difficult to commit such parts to memory and I think that's been a real barrier for me. I don't otherwise have memory deficits, but it seems to me like I've always had difficulty in this area. What do other people do?
    Just today I thought that it would be good to learn Cause We've Ended Up As Lovers (Beck's version), although the task does seem daunting to me.
    Any words of wisdom?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is how I've always done it take whatever song you want to do and break it down into sections....intro,verse,chorus,solo..blah,blah.. and work on one until you can play it almost darn perfect then move to the next section do the same, then go back and play both until perfect or near perfect and then do the next part and so on...most peoples memory will retain more info in smaller doses...hence I'm sure you've already found out trying to take it all the way through don't work to well. Just like a scale progression or mode you do it piece by piece...this is my method and works decent enough....but somebody might have a different suggestion that might work better for you......and try to pick songs that will be realistic in your ability to learn no sense wasting time on somthing that is too advanced....I think Bill Murray said in the movie What About BoB......."baby steps"...sounds corny but in my opinion thats the best advice about almost everything....hope that helps and good luck
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Zeusse... I will try that approach. I think half the battle is disciplining myself to actually spend the time methodically learning the tune.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeusse
    Well this is how I've always done it take whatever song you want to do and break it down into sections....intro,verse,chorus,solo..blah,blah.. and work on one until you can play it almost darn perfect then move to the next section do the same, then go back and play both until perfect or near perfect and then do the next part and so on...most peoples memory will retain more info in smaller doses...hence I'm sure you've already found out trying to take it all the way through don't work to well.

That's how I try and do it too, zeusse. I'm not sure if this will help or not, Pickngrin, but here's how I tried it to help Greenmachine. Broke layla down into guitar parts, verse, etc, just like zeusse said. Put it on the "Tube so hopefully watching while listening will make it easier for him.

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3921
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    That's how I try and do it too, zeusse. I'm not sure if this will help or not, Pickngrin, but here's how I tried it to help Greenmachine. Broke layla down into guitar parts, verse, etc, just like zeusse said. Put it on the "Tube so hopefully watching while listening will make it easier for him.

Exactly the way to do it...and the rest is patience and discipline and maybe a box of wine but thats it..
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

I don't learn anything that I haven't sat down and listened to a dozen or so times first. I try to do as much analyzing as I can by ear before I pick up the guitar. "Ok, the overall structure is intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-chorus. Verse is in a minor key, chorus goes to relative major. Bridge modulates into some other key and the rest of the song stays there. Chord progression under the solo is i-VI-IV-VII, same as the intro. Solo starts low and growly, goes to some high warbly stuff halfway through, finishes on some chordal licks." With that knowledge, I'm a lot better equipped to work out the details once I get behind the guitar.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

repetitions my friend repetitions.

Play it again and again and again.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks...

Post Thanks / Like

Revisiting my thread here... I'm pleased to say that I've been sitting down in a disciplined fashion to learn SRV's Lenny, and I'm at the point now where I can play along with a backing track, albeit with some bits I need to smooth out a bit.
    I was curious about how long it takes other amateurs to get a tune down? I've been at this for several weeks, although it's been sporadic practice times.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know the tune in your head? If not, I suggest playing the recording a lot, to the point where you can hum all of the parts you're interested in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickngrin
    Revisiting my thread here... I'm pleased to say that I've been sitting down in a disciplined fashion to learn SRV's Lenny, and I'm at the point now where I can play along with a backing track, albeit with some bits I need to smooth out a bit.
    I was curious about how long it takes other amateurs to get a tune down? I've been at this for several weeks, although it's been sporadic practice times.
    Great project! I hope you enjoy it.

Several years ago I made a new year's resolution to learn Lenny. I stuck with it until I actually was able to play along with the recording. But since I have not played it in a long while I've now un-learned it. Repetition is what is needed for retention for me.

As far as how long to get a tune down it highly depends on the tune. Involved instrumental tunes, may be never, for me. On the other end of the spectrum my hobby band has been introducing some REM songs. Some of them we can essentially play it reasonably well the very first time through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy

Hey OG - Tube says that you've removed all these videos.... I'd be interested in seeing them...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Just play a bit at a time and once you have mastered it and converted it to memory play a bit more. Its just a case of repitition, repitition and more repitition. Even if it can be a bit dull.

Having a more disciplined practice schedule may help also