Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Gretsch on the cover of Music 123

Thread: Gretsch on the cover of Music 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Gretsch on the cover of Music 123

Anyone else drool a little over the cover shot of the Gretsch G5120 on the cover of the new Music 123 catalog? That sunburst with the big Bigsby looks pretty tasty! I like those retro big wood boxes with the retro hardware.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Anyone else drool a little over the cover shot of the Gretsch G5120 on the cover of the new Music 123 catalog? That sunburst with the big Bigsby looks pretty tasty! I like those retro big wood boxes with the retro hardware.
    Yeah, that caught my eye, too. Pretty cool looking axe. I'm not in the market for another guitar, but I'm curious how that one plays & sounds. I've never played a guitar with those TV Jones pickups and am curious to check them out.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, I am reviving this as I have been listening to that Setzer Christmas stuff, and it has me thinking about sem-hollows again. I GAS for the big orange one a bit now. But I also really like that Hagstrom Viking. Anyone play either or both of these guitars? Robert, I think you tried the Viking at least. The two are very similar in price it seems.

Gretsch G5120 semihollow electromatic
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ELAID=28307068

Hagstrom Viking Deluxe
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=513353
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah, upon further searching I see this was discussed recently here:
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4866&page=2

Still, Kat, did you go for it? Anyone actually play either of the above I mentioned? Those are the two that call me the most via internet. Does'nt really matter anyway, as it is just window gassing. ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Don't get that catalog but I love the looks of those too. Only, at 5'7" on a big hair day, when I take the hollow/semi plunge (besides the couple cheapie bolt-neck thinline semi's I have) I will probably get something with a smaller body size. I tried a Dean Palomino in a local shop and it was just too big to play comfortably, though I could probably handle a Dot, with a slimmer body.

Speaking of Dots, I've heard mixed reviews on the cheaper "Studio" versions, seems the regular Dots are a bit higher quality. If I went that direction I'd probably get a blem or used Dot over a new Studio Dot.

The perfect semi for me would probably be an Epi Wildkat. Bigsby, P-90's, smaller body style. Haven't played one but they seem to get good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    I took a rather large risk and ordered this one yesterday. http://sanatogamusic.com/cleots.jpg

I had a Turser Les Paul copy that was pretty nice and am sorry I sold it. These Tursers are hit and miss so I am on pins and needles waiting to see what it looks and plays like. I am kind of burnt out a little on the shape of the 335 style and I liked the looks of this body. We will see what we will see...

M29
    Good luck, I've heard the same about Tursers (including from a bud who's a Turser dealer) being spotty, hopefully you'll get a good'un!