Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squier '51 Vintage Modified - Yeah!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier '51 Vintage Modified - Yeah!

'51 Rules
    I am a proud owner of a Squier '51, one of the best deals out there. It is one of my secret weapons. You can hear/see video clips of on my web page for it - www.dolphinstreet.com/guitars/squier_51

Excellent guitar for $150 or less!

What mod's have you done to yours? I have a black pickguard now, my friend Tremoloman sent me it. I love the looks of my "blackie"!
    Last edited by Robert; September 18th, 2005 at 12:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert,

Guitar looks much better all black. Now just relic those pickup covers and paste the letters RR on it with mobile home stickers.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The Squier 51' is the best value in guitars as far as I'm concerned. I bet the price of this model will skyrocket in next year or two. Fender could learn a thing or two from Squier.

If Fender or Squier made the Cycleone II with a 25.5" scale, I'd buy one in a second. (I owned one previously but hated the 24" scale).

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered a '51 from Musician's Friend last night. I received an e-mail ad from them touting $30.00 off Squier. The '51 plus free gig bag and free shipping was $119.99!!! This is a great deal to get in on. I have some plans to modify it some when it arrives. I will update when I'm done with it. It seems like it's already a screamer out of the box according to the clips on this site of Robert playing his.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jon, welcome to the board! It sure is a great guitar for this price. It's really worth a lot more. I feel bad thinking those Indonesians are working for peanuts so we can enjoy a great guitar for no money. I saw pics of a '51 with an aged neck - it looked really cool. I might try that. Tone2thebone has some interesting coffee mixture ideas he can tell us more about.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Robert, for some reason the registration system didn't recognize your name when I used it as a referral. Are you some kind of a nebulous character that we ought to know about?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Well Robert, for some reason the registration system didn't recognize your name when I used it as a referral. Are you some kind of a nebulous character that we ought to know about?
    Did you use an uppercase R in 'Robert', or did you use just 'robert'? I think it's case sensitive.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Did you use an uppercase R in 'Robert', or did you use just 'robert'? I think it's case sensitive.
    Upper case R for Robert. It just wouldn't accept it. Doesn't matter though, I still got registered.

I'm in the middle of amber tinting my '51 neck right now...letting the third coat dry.

Post Thanks / Like

Bloozcat,

Do you use the ReRanch nitro lacquer? I have used it before on a couple of necks and it turns out great. Do you put clear on after the tint? That's how I have done it, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I just ordered a '51 and am excited to get on with a new project. It's been back ordered til Oct 13. I will definitley tint the neck and change the decal. I also plan on putting on Gotoh Kluson style vintage tuners, Callaham bridge saddles, and changing at least the bridge pickup. I am thinking of making a new pickguard and installing a Black Dove (P-90) and setting up the pickguard for an adjustable neck pickup. Maybe someone has a suggestion on what to try for a neck pickup change. (Maybe a WCR, or a Fender Vintage of some type) I also like the Custom Shop 69s. Anyhow, good luck on your '51, Bloozcat!
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EscalonJon
    Bloozcat,

Do you use the ReRanch nitro lacquer? I have used it before on a couple of necks and it turns out great. Do you put clear on after the tint? That's how I have done it, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I just ordered a '51 and am excited to get on with a new project. It's been back ordered til Oct 13. I will definitley tint the neck and change the decal. I also plan on putting on Gotoh Kluson style vintage tuners, Callaham bridge saddles, and changing at least the bridge pickup. I am thinking of making a new pickguard and installing a Black Dove (P-90) and setting up the pickguard for an adjustable neck pickup. Maybe someone has a suggestion on what to try for a neck pickup change. (Maybe a WCR, or a Fender Vintage of some type) I also like the Custom Shop 69s. Anyhow, good luck on your '51, Bloozcat!
    Well, I was using the Fender neck amber from Guitar Re-Ranch, and it started going on rather well, when on the third coat it started to spot and run. Not from holding the spay too close, but for some other unknown reason. The finish started getting really runny and it was affecting the previous coats I layed down. Never had this happen before. I was just about out of the tint and I didn't really feel like waiting for a new order to arrive, so I stripped the finish down to bare wood (again) and used the brown shoepolish trick. It worked in that I got a nice uniform tint that highlights the wood grain nicely, but the tint is more at a light brown than an amber. I wanted a glossy '50's look to the neck, so I decided to use a Min-Wax PolyAcrylic gloss spray. On the label it said that some "ambering" may occur when used over certain stains and finishes. I thought I was in luck as that's what I wanted - an amber tint. I should have known that if I wanted an amber tint it would go on clear (Murphy's Law in reverse), and it did. I can't say that I'm unhappy with the way it turned out, only that it isn't the amber tint I was looking for. Oh well, it still looks good and it'll be unique...until someone else does it and gets the same results.

I'm going to go slowly on any other mods. I don't really want to ruin the natural tone of this little guitar. One thing I did find out though for anyone interested, the neck pickup cavity is routed large enough for a std. Strat single coil. All that needs to be done is to drill and countersink two holes in the pickguard for adjustment screws. The gap between the strings and the pickguard may be a little less than a Strat. I'm won't be certain until I re-attach the neck. If so, shorter springs or surgical tubing (depending on preference) may have to be used on the adjustment screws.

Post Thanks / Like

I Know what you mean with the ReRanch lacquer, you have to be very patient and carefully sand and give the coats time to "kick" before going on to the next. Another issue is getting "bridging" of the lacquer between the frets and the fingerboard wood, especially with the amber because it is more noticeable than clear. I've done two necks this way and they turned out pretty nicely. On my scratch built esquire, I started to get the build-up that you described and had to do some extra sanding to reverse my mistake. Thanks for the tips on the neck pickup. I haven't received my '51 yet, so I haven't been able to evaluate what I really want to do. If I do go radical on the first one, at the great price I can always get another (and maybe do something with a color change) and leave the pickup arrangement stock. That's the fun with cheap guitars, you can enjoy the experimentation and make something that is unique to your taste and personality. Now I only wish I could make great sounds like Robert does on his '51 in his video clips.
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Post Thanks / Like

I know... just when I think I can play I hear Robert rip me to shreds. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I know... just when I think I can play I hear Robert rip me to shreds. :P
    .... you guys are too nice! I am glad you like my stuff. I am my own worst critic of course, but I do take compliments well. Encouragement makes me produce more videos and sound clips, etc (quality not guaranteed).

Post Thanks / Like

I can make a great instructional video on how NOT to play if interested. I too am my own worst critic, but I find always being that way just pushes me to become better and better. NEVER settle on anything you do!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickguard replacement

New Squier 51 Two Tone Sunburst owner here thanks to Robert also. Money well spent it looks like. Although I do want to replace the white Pickguard, maybe with one of those selling on Ebay.. anyone ever get a Jeannie pickguard off of ebay? example link:http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Squier-51...QQcmdZViewItem for a black one..

Some cost half the price of the whole guitar sigh..lol

Post Thanks / Like

My 51 neck is also light in color but I am a heavy smoker along with another here in the house..it should tint to a nice brown within weeks..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, you've got many of the stompers I have! Cool!

Congrats on the '51 - it's a great baby. Tweak and mod it, go nuts, it's so cheap anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah much alike except the playing skills..heh, I am just a home player..
    Well, besides the squier... you also influenced the Bad Monkey purchased here recently. I still dunno if I like the older BD-2 better or not... they are both good additions in there own way and I love telling people I been home playing with my monkey all day... Think the Monkey can play a little dirtier.. Only plans on fixing up the 51 is the pickguard I believe... and it will be set (well, for now anyways) next purchase is another amp when I make up my mind on which one. I believe the squier will sound good with any of them...still price wise suprised.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some mods

i purchased my '51 for $229 CAD + HST.... altogether it is a nice guitar, no tone circuit besides i usually have tone turned on bust.

I just picked up 2 Seymour duncan pro 2 staggered pickups for $100 CAD which is a decent deal, they are hardly used and i'm installing soon, duuno what to do about the pickguard (plastics).. i might make one out of wood (those ones made down in the United states are to expensive to convert to CAD and import)... when i find a Seymour duncan Stagmag for decent price i will place in stead of stock humbucker... trying to make it an even better all around guitar...

Graphteck Saddles

So far thats the mods i am planning, i would like to replace the knobs on the potentiometers but i'm sure you'd have to replace the pots altogether, if any other players notice a bent shaft on your squier ' 51 pot PUSH/PULL please tell me... i think the guitar is great but the only down side i found is the saddles and the push/pull shaft(knob) deal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast