Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Bought myself a nice SX STL-50 Tele!

Thread: Bought myself a nice SX STL-50 Tele!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Bought myself a nice SX STL-50 Tele!

...And it's exactly what I was looking for--a cheap but well-built guitar that can be a solid platform for modding and tinkering. Neck is thick and nice, very smooth finish with a very flat radius. Frets are pretty big and are nicely polished. No fret sprout whatsoever! Tuners look nice (engraved with the SX logo) but feel so-so, although they do their job.

The body feels nice and I'm pretty sure this guitar is about 1/2 pound lighter than my old MIM. I expected the hardware to look kinda cheesy, but the chrome finish is nice (nicer than that on Squiers) and the paint on the body is flawless. The color is sweet! Beautiful and mellow green hue.

I still have to set it up, check intonation and action, but it plays nicely as is. This is honestly one of the best cheap guitars I've played, and to think it costs $109, it's just...wow.

Some pics:

Play your guitar daily!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! SX make good guitars for the money. It seems their Strats and Teles mostly have fairly fat necks?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. Pretty fat with thick frets...I love it.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, man! SX really has the concept of neck tinting down. Looks great!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Squier should do something similar...Their paper-white necks are kind of a turn-off...

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really like that color, and also the nice honey color of the neck. Looks pretty sweet!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Kerc!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Nice score Kerc !, I don't like green, except on guitars !

Post Thanks / Like

Looks nice Kerc. I just got an STL also, though I got the STL Ash. I posted it in the "show off your telecasters" thread, but it might go better here since it is an SX. Here is what I wrote:

So I just got a Tele. Nothing fancy, just an SX STL Ash from Rondomusic. It does have some interesting features though. Like a Strat, it has a body contour on the back and one on the front for your right arm. The neck has a nice cream binding with the markers offset to one side, though I would prefer it to have the normal Tele shape headstock. The wood and chrome look nice, the neck feels nice if not a bit thick. When took it out of the box, I tuned it up, strummed a chord, and....YUCK. The intonation was so far off that the sound made me seasick. The guitar was very mal-adjusted, and I was disappointed at that moment. However, I spent quite a while adjusting the intonation with a tuner, as well as adjusting the action and the truss rod. Strangely, the low E saddle is at almost full adjustment (see photo) and yet it is still a bit sharp when played at the 12th fret. The others I was able to get right on. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? The neck pickup is a little muddy, and the volume pot a bit scratchy, so I will be replacing those down the road. The neck is a little thicker than what I am used to, but I am starting to like that. Despite the issues, I am loving this guitar. It sounds good, feels good, and I think was well worth the $119.

Pics:

SX STL Ash
    Body
    Arm Contour
    Body Contour - Rear
    Neck
    Bridge Saddles
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, man--I LOVE the look of that Tele, Kerc! I had my eye on a Reverend Warhawk II 390 for a while that was that same green & black combo. Just a stunning looking guitar, IMO. For $109, it wouldn't even have to play or sound good--I'd just hang it on the wall and admire it!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Jason, I dig yours too! Looks great.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Squier should do something similar...Their paper-white necks are kind of a turn-off...
    Actually, I tend to take the contrarian point of view on this. I saw an SX Jazz bass with a similarly tinted neck. I really didn't like how dark it was, to say nothing of the ultra thick gloss finish on it. Give me plain, buck-naked wood! (Why do I have a feeling that last sentence will end up in someone's sig?) My dream guitar will have a bird's eye maple neck with only a tung oil finish. Having said that, that seems like a pretty nice Tele, especially for the price.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say thats impressive looking for that money and even that green looks really good on it...yeah thats a great deal on that
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Give me plain, buck-naked wood! (Why do I have a feeling that last sentence will end up in someone's sig?)
    Well, since you mentioned it, I had to oblige.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40