Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Good Cheap Guitars
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Cheap Guitars

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Cheap Guitars

Well after buying a 1993 USA Strat Plus, I am kinda tapped for cash to purchase anymore of that level, but tell me from you have seen out in the market today, what are some great deals on entry-mid level guitars that actually play well. Please let me know as I can afford a few bucks heer and ther to get some new gear. If you know of places in Canada that would be great !!

Please provide links/pictures if possible along with your views on the subject.

Thanks
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For a mid level strat, I like this: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=1707

More reviews and a pic:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN146002
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice, I am sure your enjoying it. But I maybe was not 100% clear I am not look for Fender products, I love those wiered little brand names that actually make good guitars for the rest of us..
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

SX, Fullerton, Squier, Xaviere, Agile, etc. Lots of decent cheap guitars out there!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think MF still has some of the Floyd Rose Discovery series left. $149 with a genuine Floyd!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Man, you should have been around here back in April when Music123 was closing out the Fullerton electrics for $30 apiece! You can read the saga HERE, if you're interested. A bunch of us here bought them--some of us, more than one! I bought the "Fat Strat" ST4 model and upgraded the pickups and some of the hardware, and still got away for under $100!

You should definitely check out Rondo Music for a large assortment of inexpensive Korean and Chinese made "clones". The Agile brand, in particular, is known for being high in quality. Check out their AL-3000 "Prestige" Les Paul knockoffs--beautiful guitars for under $400....

And let's not forget Epiphone! I have three of 'em, and love 'em all.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a SX Tele and I'm pretty happy with it.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Man, you should have been around here back in April when Music123 was closing out the Fullerton electrics for $30 apiece! You can read the saga HERE, if you're interested. A bunch of us here bought them--some of us, more than one! I bought the "Fat Strat" ST4 model and upgraded the pickups and some of the hardware, and still got away for under $100!

You should definitely check out Rondo Music for a large assortment of inexpensive Korean and Chinese made "clones". The Agile brand, in particular, is known for being high in quality. Check out their AL-3000 "Prestige" Les Paul knockoffs--beautiful guitars for under $400....

Wow, those are some very nice guitars, thanks for the link..
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, sorry Jampy, didn't know you meant no Fenders. I was one who purchased a ST4 for myself and a ST3 starter kit with amp, etc. for my son. I agree with what DVM says. I am personally looking to add a LP type guitar someday and continue to look at the Agiles, the Epis, and the Samicks in that arena.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Oh, sorry Jampy, didn't know you meant no Fenders. I was one who purchased a ST4 for myself and a ST3 starter kit with amp, etc. for my son. I agree with what DVM says. I am personally looking to add a LP type guitar someday and continue to look at the Agiles, the Epis, and the Samicks in that arena.
    Fender style is ok, just nothing made by Fender, this is just for interest and I make no claims that any one brand of guitar is any better than another, just to be clear..all you squire boys take it easy
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Squier Affinity Series
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I am personally looking to add a LP type guitar someday and continue to look at the Agiles, the Epis, and the Samicks in that arena.
    THIS is such a cool guitar! If I needed another LP (and I don't!), I'd jump all over it.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Guitar Player reviewed a number of guitars under $500 in a recent article. Covered the spectrum from A&L to Yamaha.

Might want to check out Peavey's new EX series. I had an older EXP that I really liked (but just had to have a Tele, so out she went ) and from the reviews I've read, the new line is an improvement.

If you're looking for quirky, Eastwood guitars would be worth a look, though they aren't cheap per se.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

THIS is such a cool guitar! If I needed another LP (and I don't!), I'd jump all over it.
    You do have good taste.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My GF Killed me

Well after starting this post, i started looking through the local online classifieds in search of good deals. I should have used the term inexpensive instead of cheap because I was mainly refering to price no the actual quakity of the guitar. Anyhoo, as I was searching a stumbled across a MINT 2002 Gretsch "Historical Series" G3100 with hardshell case after writing the guy to see if he still had it I noticed he had placed anoth ad for a Godin LG hmb Series guitar with hardshell case, so I wrote him on that to see if he would cut a deal on both. After a few hours he called me to say that the only way he would cut a deal is if I bough his amp as well, it turned out to be a really nice little Fender 15R, which is actually something I can use. SO we started to talk price he wanted 400 each for the guitars and 100 for the amp I got him down to $740 CDN for the entire package and we agreed to meet later in the day, after getting yelled at for 30 minutes from the GF..LOL we headed out to meet him, now remember I have never seen nor held these guitars so I was buying on faith alone, turns out I did well. The guitars are in amzing condition I was surprized to find out he played with a pick for I could not see a single blemish on either, beside the strings being tarnished and the fret boards being a little dry they were the best condition I have ever seen 5 year old guitars. As a added bones the amp was still in the original box !?! I tested them to make sure no buzzing frets or warped necks and they were both rock solid, gave him my money and was on my way. I am so happy with my purchase I bought two amzing guitars for less than the price of a NEW mid level guitar.

I'll be sure to post some pics so you all can drool over them like I did. and I'll post specs ASAP..

-- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Good score! GF's are highly overrated anyway - lot's of fish in the sea, and all that A deal like this doesn't pass by that often
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I respectfully submit the name of Jampy for serious consideration for the Spudman Over-the-Top FretNet GAS Attack award. I mean, consider the incredible accomplishments on display here:

1. A Fretter only since Aug. 27--a mere 5 days. You might think that's not long enough for FretNet-induced GAS to kick in. Au contraire, mon ami!
    2. Posted a request for recommendations on "cheap" guitars just before noon yesterday. Most of us probably thought that a purchase was at least a week or two away....
    3. Within a couple of hours, give or take, had purchased TWO guitars and an amplifier!! Spent over $700 CDN in doing so. While that is not a huge investment--especially considering that it works out to roughly $63.50 US--it is still a prodigious rate of spending!! If he can keep it up, he is on pace for music equipment expenditures exceeding the GNP of Uruguay by early March 2008.
    4. All this, and he's got his girlfriend all over his *** for doing it!!

All I can say is.....WAY TO GO!! You're an inspiration to us all, Jamster!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Thank you...where's my prize..
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jampy
    Thank you, Thank you...where's my prize..
    Geez, ya got two new guitars & an amp, and you're looking for a PRIZE, too??

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast