Thread: Line 6 goes tubular!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line 6 goes tubular!!!

I think this is an awesome, if not semiexpensive idea.

Line 6 got together with Bogner to design and produce a fully tube driven Spider III amph. I bet it'll be good for a screamin' solo or two.

At Line 6 : http://www.line6.com/spidervalve/ind...ve+CenterFlash

The head at MF : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ead?sku=487071

Of course, a tube amph with modeling and savable presets is not new. Hughes and Kettner has the Switchblade, which I believe is a bit more expensive. http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/pr...de=prod&id=109
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like the search button should have been my friend... Sorry for the double post, guys...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I tried one of the Spider Valve by Bogner amps today. I was underwhelmed.

First of all THIS IS NOT A BEDROOM AMPH! It's really loud and you can't do much about it. The master volume is worse than a Hot Rod Deluxe. It's either off or so friggin loud it hurts. I got a lot of microphonic feedback sitting above the amph on a stool with a high quality Ibanez dual humbucking JS series guitar. I don't think the squeal is a good thing. I had the store all to myself so I let her rip (like I had any other choice). Did I mention that it's really loud?

All of the patches were at seriously different levels so a lot of programming would have to happen to switch between say a Line 6 Insane amph and a Clean Fender type. All of the distortions had that brittle top end I call 'fizz'. They just didn't sound natural.

Is it tonally versatile? Sure is. Are they tones I liked? Not really. I know one of the saving graces of the Line 6 equipment is that once you dial in your own patches it generally sounds good. So if you get one be prepared to do a lot of programming. Just make sure your try it at length before you buy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently read about the Fender Super Champ XD which has power tubes for the output stage but has digital frontend for amp simulation. It is pretty inexpensive and I've heard good things about it from at least a couple of people. I have not played or heard it myself, but I'm certainly curious.

Fender Super Champ XD

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Line6 Bogner

Yeah I read about them last month in Premier Guitar mag. I got to try out the 112 this week at my favorite family owned guitar shop. I was very impressed. I have a Spider lll and I have to say the quality of construction on these amps is second to none. I think I even read where the wood under the tolex is not pressboard on this model.
    Regarding my AD50VT 212 Vox: I just couldn't stomach the chrome egg crate grill and removed it and painted it semi gloss black and re-instaled it with a thin chrome strip (automotive trim) running across the top edge of the grill. Now it looks like Vox's of old
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty