Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
"With this amph I get no screaming solos" - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "With this amph I get no screaming solos"

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly speaking, I think that attitude may have surfaced after he'd pulled that gain knob a million times. Or, perhaps partially due to the Steely Dan solos he was playing not being "screaming enough". And speaking of Steely Dan, I think I'd read in a Donald Fagen interview sometime back that part of the reason Steely Dan didn't tour extensively in the late 70's and 80's due to that very fact! Or maybe it was due to the band's heavy use of recreational drugs? Or both.

Any way you look at it, playing an un-classy, not-ready-for-the-year-2000 brown amp with gold knobs will take its toll on even the best of players . . . eventually.

"Get along, get along Screamin' Amp Solo Guy, get along . . . "

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that the amp is not Y2K compliant should not have been a problem back in the 70´s. However, I can see the problems with pulling the gain knob while under the influence of recreational drugs.

Here is a little pic of the brown wonder so that we know what we are talking about. Please take notice of the pull-gain!

I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently the JX50 has a little brother, and it seems like it has similar features! Just read what brother Vaughan wrote about it!

Price Paid: N/A
    Features: 5
    Well, I gotta tell you...nothing like what the above writers went through ever happened to me. It is a clean little amp that i bought for my place 12 floors up. I have traded imn my fender stacks for micro waves and dishwashers and a big t.V. Sigh. I find No mud. this is a clean little amp. I like the channels and the fact i can run my mike thru it and stay about 8 feet away without feedback. This amp is so clean, vanillia comes to mind. It has plenty of controls, but they lead to distortion. Infact, the only way I can get different sounds is by having my Daddy-o intercede!! this old solid statere from the late golden years will have to do.

Sound Quality: 5
    I ripped a Fernandaes apart and turned it into a fender standard (NOT squire!!!!!!!!!!!).
    see abouve for most...I use it for writing and occasionally ripping a couple of riffs through the walls. The ol' gal has a lot of power.

Reliability: 8
    I would rate it 10, but it faded on me the other day...oh ohhh!

Customer Support: N/A
    never delt with them, but they can send me a fre amp!

Overall Rating: 3
    30 years
    A little fender or yamaha....
    I love I have it, I hate the new fade. (the "presance" is great, too).
    nothing else to say

Submitted by Vaughan at 05/02/2004 03:55
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Ah yes - nothing says clean like "vanillia". I wonder if that's the same thing as "vanilla", though one could assume that its probably much cleaner. Indeed, HC is a great resource, but as with anything, you have to take some of the reviews with a grain of salt, and let your fingers / ears be the real judge.

I must also say your J50 is a fine looking amp. And that pull-gain knob doesn't look quite so "hairy" in person, either.

Post Thanks / Like

yu no, if Harmony Central ever put is a spells checker wer gonna luze all that lushus humer.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

So are HC up for sale?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    So are HC up for sale?
    SS, from what I heard, it's a done deal already! Just the ink isn't dry yet.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope that they dont change too much, and for gods sake dont include a spelling check.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet jesus.. I´ve been reading Yamaha JX reviews again.. Here is a JX40 review that really explains more about these amazing screaming solo amps!

Product: Yamaha JX40 112 Combo
    Price Paid: USD 100
    Submitted 08/21/2007 at 03:03am by BlueTim

Features : 8
    I`ll buy this amp late 80`s (600mk = 100 eur), when it was one year old. So...amp was made -81 or -82.
    Amp has two channel and headphone jack. I used amp for training, recording, some jam-sessions and few gigs.
    In gigs you haven??t easy way changed distr./clean sound, that??s why amp has some limited use on stage.

Sound Quality : 9
    Clean is little bit thin or weak and not so bright for gigs. For recording and training it works good enough.
    Amp has great distrotion and when use with some good pedal (Ibanez tubescream), it has very good sound. I find some recordings quite good distr. sound then back to the 80`s.
    Amp does the job on gigs, but then you have use microphone and PA-system. Alone amp is too weak for pop/rock.

Reliability : 8
    Amp was couple years in store and doesn??t work at all, when I try it. But local music store has good worker who repair the amp quite minium cost.
    Potentiometer must use electric spray...

But amp has work over twenty years guite well.

Customer Support : No Opinion

Overall Rating : 8
    I sold amp little time ago. It has good for training and maybe(?) recording, but nowdays you can get much better amp for rec.
    Nowdays amp has vintage-model-like and does the job also for little gigs in right kind music.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently a non native English speaker...or maybe from the southern bayou country of the USA.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

another great review....as with most sequals...the first was the best...but this one is pretty good too!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet jesus.. I´ve been reading Yamaha JX reviews again.. Here is a JX40 review that really explains more about these amazing screaming solo amps!

Product: Yamaha JX40 112 Combo
    Price Paid: USD 100
    Submitted 08/21/2007 at 03:03am by BlueTim

Features : 8
    I`ll buy this amp late 80`s (600mk = 100 eur), when it was one year old. So...amp was made -81 or -82.
    Amp has two channel and headphone jack. I used amp for training, recording, some jam-sessions and few gigs.
    In gigs you haven??t easy way changed distr./clean sound, that??s why amp has some limited use on stage.

Sound Quality : 9
    Clean is little bit thin or weak and not so bright for gigs. For recording and training it works good enough.
    Amp has great distrotion and when use with some good pedal (Ibanez tubescream), it has very good sound. I find some recordings quite good distr. sound then back to the 80`s.
    Amp does the job on gigs, but then you have use microphone and PA-system. Alone amp is too weak for pop/rock.

Reliability : 8
    Amp was couple years in store and doesn??t work at all, when I try it. But local music store has good worker who repair the amp quite minium cost.
    Potentiometer must use electric spray...

But amp has work over twenty years guite well.

Customer Support : No Opinion

Overall Rating : 8
    I sold amp little time ago. It has good for training and maybe(?) recording, but nowdays you can get much better amp for rec.
    Nowdays amp has vintage-model-like and does the job also for little gigs in right kind music.
    What..What..I understanded him perfectly! I didn't cee watt the big deel is all abut! southern or nut!

u guys are crul!!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man! I remember y'all talking about this thread, but I've never read it before. I laughed so hard I think I peed myself.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

This thread is a classic. I hereby nominate it to the top 10 of all threads on the Fret!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

This is so funny and weird at the same time!
    Really a classic!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

When I am looking for music gear I often check what people say on Harmony Central. I found this old Yamaha solid state amp, and from the review below I just KNOW that I am going to like it...

Sound Quality: 3
    No distortion peddles eather the speaker just bottoms out.
    Flower peddles offer the worst kinda distortion on just about any kinda amph!:
    Of course youll get no screaming solos.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't SCREAM for me Argentina.....:
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

"I am nineteen and I feel that by the time I'm twentyfive I will be a damn good guitar player."

I hope he's right. He'll need some way to earn a decent living, and I'd venture to guess that journalist or English teacher are not viable career options....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps membership in this fancy fret.net club would only be granted those that read this thread.

This thread is for me the essence of the forum distilled into a few short lines.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast