When I am looking for music gear I often check what people say on Harmony Central. I found this old Yamaha solid state amp, and from the review below I just KNOW that I am going to like it...

Price Paid: US $100 used
Features: 4
The Jx50 looks like it was made in the seventies, or evan the sixties. The amph color is brown and gold nobs, not to classy looking for the 2000's and beyond. I play alot of jazz and blues stuff(steely dan and so on), and the amph does not cut it with the one twelve. I'm not in a band but Ive been playing for about six years.Has high imput and low imput. A pull gain volume and master control volume. Has four equalizing controls Treble-middle-bass_ and some nob called FAT that I have never seen on another amph. Has a very nice reverb though and play Marley tunes quite nice also a reverb foot switch plug in the back, but Ive never evan it. Now the speaker in the cabniet reads a diferent modle #JA3066 60 watt r.m.s. And the amph reads 75 Watts r.m.s. So since I bought it used the first speaker must have been replaced.

Sound Quality: 3
I play a Peavey preditor, wich is a strat look alike and a sound alike. I love the pick scrapes and sharp bends and the Jx50 fits my style of play to an extent. With this amph I get no screaming solos. My ground is pulled out of my edison cable so I get alot of scrathy sounds and every now and then I pick up radio station. The bass on the amph sucks bad. No distortion peddles eather the speaker just bottoms out. The pull gain just makes the amph sound worse too.

Reliability: 8
Besides dirt getting in the pull gain, 999999 times out of a 1000000 it will turn on.

Customer Support: N/A
I bought the amph used.

Overall Rating: 3
I am nineteen and I feel that by the time I'm twentyfive I will be a damn good guitar player. I would pay somebody steel my JX50 its a piece of crap.

Submitted by Dustin at 03/04/1999 15:09