Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Wow im scared of my pickupss

Thread: Wow im scared of my pickupss

pes_laul Guest

Default Wow im scared of my pickupss

umm single coil pickups on a strat if you touch two of them at the same time will it shock (im a little parionoaid im almost afriaad to play my guitar lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Just wait until you get your first amp power supply "kiss"..
    Bzzzzzzzzz
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

You've got a bad ground there someplace. There's no reason that should happen.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    You've got a bad ground there someplace. There's no reason that should happen.
    +1!!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Just wait until you get your first amp power supply "kiss"..
    Bzzzzzzzzz
    um whats that mean??? and if you touch the rods in your pickups two at a tim will it shock you (im curious cuz ive heard of that happening)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    um whats that mean??? and if you touch the rods in your pickups two at a tim will it shock you (im curious cuz ive heard of that happening)
    Once again, that shouldn't happen. If you are getting zapped by your guitar STOP PLAYING IT until you can locate the ground problem. Very bad things can happen. For example, if you are playing and then touch a metal railing or a mic that is properly grounded you could get zapped and you could be seriously injured or even die.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Once again, that shouldn't happen. If you are getting zapped by your guitar STOP PLAYING IT until you can locate the ground problem. Very bad things can happen. For example, if you are playing and then touch a metal railing or a mic that is properly grounded you could get zapped and you could be seriously injured or even die.
    AHHHHH...memories. We had an amp with a bad ground, an old Heath kit amp that was our bassist fathers that we lovingly named "sparky" cause it would shock you insanely IF you put your lips close to a mic or touched metal. I got it bad one day and thats when the amp was renamed "broken".

Fix your gear....your guitar and you will be thankful for it.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagrangeCalvert
    AHHHHH...memories. We had an amp with a bad ground, an old Heath kit amp that was our bassist fathers that we lovingly named "sparky" cause it would shock you insanely IF you put your lips close to a mic or touched metal. I got it bad one day and thats when the amp was renamed "broken".

Fix your gear....your guitar and you will be thankful for it.
    Ha Ha! Hope you did'int look like Mick after the shock.
    Classic.
    Guitar/ Ibanez GAX 70, Squier standard Strat, Epi plus top Honey Burst
    Amps/ Epiphone Blues Custom 30, Fender XP Vibro Champ 5 Watt tube Amp
    Randall RX 15
    Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

I've welded my lips a time or two to a microphone too. It's better than Lithium for what ails ya.

Get your guitar or amph fixed right away.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

pes_laul Guest

aahh got it fixed there was a wire connecting to the plate where the springs attach from the trem so i saughtered it and it seems to work good. I also had a bad shock experience when i was playing with some guys my friend asked me to unplug one of his pedals cuz he put in batteries and it was still on when i unplugged it ZAP! it didnt really hurt but it made my arm feel like jello and i coudlnt play guitar right lol

Post Thanks / Like

aahh got it fixed there was a wire connecting to the plate where the springs attach from the trem so i saughtered it and it seems to work good. I also had a bad shock experience when i was playing with some guys my friend asked me to unplug one of his pedals cuz he put in batteries and it was still on when i unplugged it ZAP! it didnt really hurt but it made my arm feel like jello and i coudlnt play guitar right lol
    I hope that was it because it doesn't take a lot of current across your heart before your relatives have to pick out a nice box to bury you in.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

I hope that was it because it doesn't take a lot of current across your heart before your relatives have to pick out a nice box to bury you in.

Volts hurt.....amps are what really kills people. I mean volts can, but somthing like 3miliamps is deadly.

One of my really smart friends who thought he knew everything unplugged the a TV's power cable - the one that goes from the back of the VACUUM TUBE and was grounding himself on a I beam......all you could hear is a sound similar to a loud HUM. The Picture tube will hold a charge like a cap. for YEARS - even if you only turn the TV on and then right off.

I would honestly say for YOUR safety take this guitar to a tech. or luth and have him work on it. Unless your good with electronics (not saying your are or not....I don't know you that well) you might be fixing on ONE of the possible problems....and after all these shocks your taking you might want to get a hair cut.....I think this is the reason HAIR bands got started....shocking amps = split ends.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, then there was that horse fence I kept backing up and putting my hand against while trying to dig out a stump on a friend's Dad's house in college. Stoopid! I like to leave any significant electrical stuff to someone with training and experience. I will change out a home light fixture, but I still am real careful there about breakers and testing the leads before touching. Mistakes have taught me that. I say if you are not real sure, go make sure with someone who has the training and experience to really know.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You should really take your guitar to a tech, shocks can be dangerous.
    Sometimes a amp or mic can give you a shock, thus resulting in a power "kiss".. Not a very pleasant surprise, but as Spud says... it beats a lot of older psych treatmeants such as Lithium or shock therapy
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009