Thread: Dummy load for guitar amp

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dummy load for guitar amp

No..not what's in my head.. what I want to attach to an amp head..

I have been searching..and probably have over looked... but.. does anyone know where to find a dummy load "already" made.. which is just a 1/4 inch plug that attaches to "speaker out" as a dummy load.. looking for 4 ohm 100 watt.. to allow me to play and or test amp without speaker.. not an attenuator.. just a dummy load.. anyone got a link in the USA?

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, that's the webers... they are nice..I just want something thats just a dummy load.. thanks for looking.. funny someone does not make them.. suppose to be easy and cheap to make.. but I don't want to make one..just buy one.. Hmm.. DuvoodooDummy on the market yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    yeah, that's the webers... they are nice..I just want something thats just a dummy load.. thanks for looking.. funny someone does not make them.. suppose to be easy and cheap to make.. but I don't want to make one..just buy one.. Hmm.. DuvoodooDummy on the market yet?
    It is so inexpensive to make one, that it is probably not worth it for anyone to manufacture or sell one.

For the dummy load you wanted, I'd use 4 x 16 ohm, 25w resistors in parallel to to give a 4 ohm, 100w load. The Mouser part is $1.09 each for the resistors. They eyelets/turrets and board material are a few cents more. The cost for something like this is in the labor. The real question is: how much are you willing to pay for something that has only like $5-$10 worth of parts? Especially, something as easy to make as this. (Disclaimer: this is not a commercial come on, just an explanation of the costs involved.)

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    The real question is: how much are you willing to pay for something that has only like $5-$10 worth of parts? Especially, something as easy to make as this. (Disclaimer: this is not a commercial come on, just an explanation of the costs involved.)

tung
    Welcome to thefret.net tung...

Welp, As far as how much.. that depends.. I thought this is the American way.. put a few bucks in a product and charge for it.. You also have to make an enclosure.. and have a female or male plug depending on design.. you have to buy in quanity if you really want anything cheap.. you have to add in shipping..and then there is the "labor time" making it...

I been searching for a dummy..ummm.. and find that I am not the only one.. many sites just say as you did..make one.. but that leads me to believe there are many people out there looking for one already made.. I personally feel its worth someplace between $15.00-$20.00 made.. ready to use.. and if its that cheap to make.. why isn't someone doing this?

I went to mouser..looked up 16 ohm 25 watt resistor just for the heck of it.. it came back with like 1000 different ones.. which at that point I was lost.. sigh... I probably will have to break down and make one from designs found on the net.. just suprised they are not already available.. there is a thing on e-bay..more of a attunator type, its around 50 bucks.. I might actually buy it before building my own.. just out of lazyness.. again an American way..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. I should introduce myself in the new members forum :

This is the part I would use:

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...280-CR25-16-RC

For 8 ohm/100w:

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...280-CR25-33-RC

Like with most of the parts at Mouser, the more you order, the cheaper the individual parts cost. The downside is that if you only need 4 of these resistors, and the plug, you're still going to be charged a minimum of $6 in the US for shipping. So this increases the DIY costs.

And you're right, I didn't even factor in the cost of the plug, or the wire either. I'd probably use some 3/8" long hex standoffs to insulate the board from the chassis. Doesn't seem so simple to me anymore

Here is a 4.7 ohm, 100w resistor for $12.00:

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...284-HS100-4.7F

That way you can do away with the board and just attach a plug. Be careful, though, that resistor will get hot with a cranked amp putting power into it.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    Welcome to thefret.net tung...

Welp, As far as how much.. that depends.. I thought this is the American way.. put a few bucks in a product and charge for it.. You also have to make an enclosure.. and have a female or male plug depending on design.. you have to buy in quanity if you really want anything cheap.. you have to add in shipping..and then there is the "labor time" making it...

I been searching for a dummy..ummm.. and find that I am not the only one.. many sites just say as you did..make one.. but that leads me to believe there are many people out there looking for one already made.. I personally feel its worth someplace between $15.00-$20.00 made.. ready to use.. and if its that cheap to make.. why isn't someone doing this?

I went to mouser..looked up 16 ohm 25 watt resistor just for the heck of it.. it came back with like 1000 different ones.. which at that point I was lost.. sigh... I probably will have to break down and make one from designs found on the net.. just suprised they are not already available.. there is a thing on e-bay..more of a attunator type, its around 50 bucks.. I might actually buy it before building my own.. just out of lazyness.. again an American way..