Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Toneport?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Which Toneport?

I wish to upgrade my recording interface (right now, a garageband cable that works with one of my computers, coming from my looper or a pedal). After reading and watching threads hear, I am narrowing it down to one of the Toneports, the UX2, UX1 and GX (new guy, only $70). See product spotlight from Musician's Friend here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/docum...?doc_id=102505

I read Hogfullofblue's thread, and many pick the PodXT to do the same thing and prefer it due to the actual knobs and the ability to use it on a standalone basis. I don't think I would use it much that way. Maybe I am wrong, but I am hesitant to go that deep. I am thinking on finding a used UX2 on the bay or somewhere as my compromise point.

My thoughts:

I want the extra inputs for more guitars (like my son's), mics and a keyboard at some point so want more than the lesser two units. I think the one guitar input only of the GX is a deal breaker. Used UX2's are not that pricey and can be found for the same as a new UX1. The patches seem to transfer across well among all three units and Pods. Being a Mac guy, I am influenced by what works well with Macs. Macworld gave it a great review: http://www.macworld.com/2006/12/revi...tux2/index.php

Advice guys? Thanks!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you want the UX2 with its extra inputs? Might as well go for it! Get a used one and have fun.

I have a UX1, since I don't need any extra inputs. Works good. Gearbox is very cool software. It will keep you trying all sorts of amp configurations for hours...

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got a Toneport GX and am thrilled with it. It is probably the best money I've spent on this hobby. I originally got it just to use with my wife's laptop on a recent trip to my in-laws' house, but now it has taken over. In fact, I find myself not even wanting to use my amp anymore. It's been all toneport and headphones since I got it. While I am normally a mac guy, my mac mini system specs are too low for the toneport, so I've been using it on my PC. Installation went well, it works great, and sounds even better. The software is easy to use if not a bit cartoon-ish, there are many presets to get started with, and the online lessons are fun to get into (comes with a 30 day trial of the Guitarport service). Many of the lessons have a tone embedded in them which you can click on to automatically load up, as well as save them in your collection. One negative is that the software is not "plug-in" capable as is, rather this is a fairly expensive upgrade from Line6. This means that when you record in garageband, what ever tone you selected in the gearbox software will be permanently recorded onto your track. With the plug-in component, you can change your the tone on your recording just by selecting a different preset plug-in. This is not a big deal for me since I am more of a beginner. It can be used as an interface with other software, not just the Line6 gearbox software. I use it with NI Guitar Combos, and I am sure it would work fine with the amp models and effects in garageband if you chose to use them. It is small enough to put in your gig bag if you will be traveling. I'd say it is just a bit larger than a Klondike bar, and it has a clip for your belt or guitar strap. As for the stand-alone issue, I feel that if I get to the point where I can play with a band or perform live, I will be happy to invest in something that can stand alone.

Just get one, I think you will love it.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jasongins, thanks for the response. You are making me think. Ouch! Do you know if the input can be used with a Mic? I have an idea I might like to mic my amph for some recordings. That was one reason for the xlr desire. I have never owned a real mic so maybe I am missing something.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing: Getting a used one may mean having to contact line6. There is a digital ID it retrieves from the unit and checks the registered ownership with line6. You may need to make sure the previous owner deleted the device from their line6 account. I don't know if this matters if you only only intend to use the gearbox software, but it will matter if you attempt to go online and use the guitarport service.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    ... Do you know if the input can be used with a Mic?....
    According to this page on Line6's site, you can use a mic but will need an XLR to 1/4 adapter. Some of the amp models in the software are just plain pre-amps, I assume for microphones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm' Glad to hear of your experience with the GX. I am still leaning toward more inputs, but how you are using it sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the id thing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I own the UX2 and love it, but I will warn you, you will spend 99% of your time twiddling with the sounds rather than playing. It has a lot to offer but I will warn you plugging a mic into the instrumnet jack will provide you with very low levels so invest in a adaptor if your using a cheapy mic ( like me ).

I use it in conjuction with garage band 08 on my mac and really love it I get all the tones, sounds and effect I want and recording them is easy and clean.

I will however point out one downside, if you don't own any peddles lik eme it can be a real PITA beause you have to actually stop playing to change sounds so something simple like switching from clean to dirty now involves a extra step that tends to throw things outta whack when you got your groove on.

but other than that it was money well spent.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jampy. I was anticipating investing in a decent mic, plugging that in through the XLR input, and having the option to mic my amp like StingX does. I do have pedals, and like the sound through my own amp at times. It will be fun to play with the sounds in the machine also though. As I think about it, a UX1 might be enough for me with both an XLR and a guitar input, but if I can find a good used UX2 with proper id transfer, it wouldn't hurt to have the extra capacity.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So Toneport UX2 it is! Went to Guitar Center today and offered $150 on a brand new one they sell for $199. Out the door baby!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I know that its a little too late, but if someone else is looking for a really good usb interface, controller and the best software amp emulation. Please take your time and check out GR2 !

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Native-I...93-i1155100.gc
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Been playing with my little Toneport GX on a cheap laptop for the first time today.. nice little box... would almost fit in your pocket.. maybe a LARGE pocket. Has a clip on the back of it to hang it on your hip or guitar strap.. I dunno why, you would need a heck of a long USB cable...

Gearbox software worked fine under Vista ... and a pretty neat little setup..
    Line6 Monkey configured it all up.. updated software.. pretty slick..

I did have a problem figuring how to make the browser window bigger in gearbox (to lazy to read docs) but that was it. Loading tones..getting tones offline/online.. went smoothe....

For the 70 bucks and at first glance and use..it's a winner..

One thing that's wierd.. you use your headphones.. sound does not come thru the computer speakers at all when first configured..

But yes.. it does record into audacity etc just fine..

I assume there is a work around to get this to the computer speakers.
    Just have yet to look into it..

For a small silent setup.. Guitar,laptop, good headphones and toneport GX would be hard to beat...guitar case and laptop case and your set.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad you like it Justa! I love my UX2 also. My understanding (if both units work the same) is that you run the monitoring out of the toneport via speaker or headphone out to avoid latency. My computer speakers at home are external, and I just run them into the input of those, or into the effects loop of my amph. It really sounds good through my effects loop. It might warm up the pre-set tones some, and they sure sound good to me! I believe you can re-set a setting in your computer to use internal speakers that they tell you how to do but don't recommend. It's in the PDF lit and is pretty easy to find I think. For gear lit, the PDF manual reads pretty well.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Glad you like it Justa! I love my UX2 also. My understanding (if both units work the same) is that you run the monitoring out of the toneport via speaker or headphone out to avoid latency. My computer speakers at home are external, and I just run them into the input of those, or into the effects loop of my amph. It really sounds good through my effects loop. It might warm up the pre-set tones some, and they sure sound good to me! I believe you can re-set a setting in your computer to use internal speakers that they tell you how to do but don't recommend. It's in the PDF lit and is pretty easy to find I think. For gear lit, the PDF manual reads pretty well.
    The Simplicity is excellent.. anyone should get up and running with this setup.

Although I have tried.. I am still failing to get the sound thru the internal Laptop speakers..
    but, yes I could use externals with no problem..
    I think I will try it thru my looper later and see what changes the amps sound like that way..
    Just for the heck of it..

Simplicity.. is probably the name for this thing..
    everything went so well on install.. and thats saying alot under Vista...lol
    (Note: set to administator to run)

Post Thanks / Like

Some observations I have noticed with the toneport so far:

1) I did get spikes and playback problems while using Audacity and the laptop. I am assuming this has to do with setup.. I am still tweaking this.
    With running on battery, it happens more than if AC is connected.

2) For some reason Adobe Audition works fine with a spike now and than. which leads me to think it's made better than Audacity. again, still tweaking.

3) If you load a backing track into Gearbox, Only the guitar part will be recorded. I would have thought both Backing Track and guitar would come into the recording software.. Not a problem, you just load Backing track into the recording software and play away.

4) Using the headphone/lineout into computer still does not work right for me, I did connect external speakers to the lineout and to tell the truth, The headphones make it sound so much better. This ofcourse would have to deal with the quality of external speakers. Line6 probably intends Headphones to be used for best sound and they are.

5) Tried running Lineoit to Boss looper.. first interference from laptop (same plug strip) once fixed that.. the sounds just don't sound as good again as headphones do.

6) Although bad playing.. my recorded sounds again sound better if played back thru headphones.. even on better computer.. it just sounds that much better to experience it all thru headphones.

7) Using some patches created by StingX here, I found Gearbox is some excellent software.. even without the add-ons, it will suggest replacements to get it as close to possible to the original patch.. very cool.. very well done..

8) Buying add-ons.. I think thats Line6 catch.. you get a cheap unit with a few cabs,amps, effects.. but your gonna fall and buy the add-ons..

Im holding out.. for what you get.. at this price.. its an excellent little setup.. I am not getting rid of my amps or pedals though.. but it is cool! ude:

All this is off a 1.6ghz laptop with 2meg ram and standard graphics chip.
    I am sure the latency issues would not exst on better system.. and mine are minor but do exist.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jampy
    I will however point out one downside, if you don't own any peddles lik eme it can be a real PITA beause you have to actually stop playing to change sounds so something simple like switching from clean to dirty now involves a extra step that tends to throw things outta whack when you got your groove on.

but other than that it was money well spent.

This brings up a question?

Do you think there is a way to create your own lesson-song within gearbox? I have noticed the autoload button switches the tone for you on them... would be nice if it was available for everyone.
    :
    Something I didn't know..
    Once the 30 days is up.. all those songs I downloaded to learn "later" do not work.. I would have thought whatever was available at the time, would remain working after trial period.. I knew I was going to sign up at least for a bit, but didn't realize it was right away or no songs to practice on. I guess a person could save them as mp3 and then drop subscription but again.. a PITA moment...

I really like the setup in gearbox.. my problem is playing with so many different things in it like the amps and tone settings, not playing the guitar as much as I was prior to owning it..

Post Thanks / Like

Here is an interesting way to use your Toneport UX2....and video camera.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got the GX but I havent been able to use it yet due to my wife and her ginchiness of not letting me play it now and wait for another week
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Toneport

I looked at the toneports but picked up a Lexicon Omega for 199 at GC due to MF price matching. GC wanted 300. So far I like the unit a lot.

I will have to figure out how to attach clips to this website. So far I made two CDs and sent one to a friend of mine in Washington state. Fairly sloppy and raw but has some nice parts in it. I still haven't figured out the program I'm using: Sony Acid. I like it, some people don't. The Omega came with Cubase le, but it has limited mp3s, twenty, things like that. You have to upgrade to get more.

I think I'll stay with Acid and buy some of the plug ins like the drum parts to songs, things like that.

Big Rob: I notice you have the v tone 2 x 60 amp. I have the v tone gm110 and like it a lot. I was wondering how you like your v tone? I thought about getting one. Lots of power and the analog modeling on mine is really nice. Never thought I'd buy a Behringer. Didn't think I'd buy a Fender either.

Anyway, that Omega is a real nice thing. Bar meters on the front, stereo, lots of inputs, 20 db pad button for condenser mics, external or usb power, lines out to my PA for monitoring and playback. I run my Digitech RP350 into it, switch on back for mixer or amp output. I think it does a good job. Just the learning curve on the Sony Acid is long. But it is fun to try to figure out. I bought another mic so I can sing and mic my amp at the same time. Try that out and see if it sounds better than the RP straight into the Omega.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast