Thread: Why are guitar players so obsessed with gear?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why are guitar players so obsessed with gear?

Think about it. We are obsessed with gear. Pedals, amps, guitars, heck even cables and picks!

We drool over gear we don't have more than we play the gear we do have. I am one of them, I admit it openly.

I don't personally know any keyboard players, bass players or drummers with the same kind of obsession as myself. They might buy something once a year, while I buy something almost every month - pedals, cheap guitars, cables, and any kind of gadgets I find remotely interesting for playing guitar.

Bands that I don't play so often with - I go to a gig or rehearsal and I bring a bunch of new stuff, and they ask if I had that last time we played. Of course I didn't. They, on the other hand, play with the same old stuff as last year or last time we played together.

Part of the reason may be that we are also obsessed with tone - we change stuff all the time to achieve that holy grail of tone. We never get there though, do we? The journey is probably more important than the destination, I guess.

So, in general, why are we so obsessed with stuff? Or is my perspective skewed?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Because we're all freaks. Actually, with any hobby there is a certain amount of obsessive-compulsive behavior. Some homebrewers, for example, are eternally content to have a simple extract setup. Others build monstrous RIMS systems with more stainless than your average kitchen outlet store. How about gamers piling ceaseless amounts of cash into their boxen to get the latest and greatest CPU, video cards, and monitors. The list goes on.

By the by, if you think that bass players can't be obsessive, read through the Talk Bass forums sometime. In Real Life, I have noticed that bass players tend to be more laid back and less arrogant about their abilities than the lead guitarists.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

If anybody sais they don't chase tone their full of donkey doo..Your absolutely right Robert the journey is probably more important than the destination...mind you it would be nice to find my destination that I keep invisioning but chasing tone is so much fun I'd probably be bored if I got what I wanted....your not alone
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Our bassist and drummer are obsessive about their gear.....its not just guitarists, its most musicians....guitarists just happen to be the worst.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Two things come to mind: One is that we all have disposable income and the other is that we belong to this silly forum that forces you to buy gear.

Did I nail it or what?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh it isnt just guitar players Robert. People do this do this with motorcycles my $20,000.00 Harley was just the "starter kit" Im also into building computers and when I was into overclocking what those folks wont do for a little more speed. As a pilot I have friends who own airplanes same deal ditto for the crowd I run with on jetski's. I think its the nature of us guys and our hobbies, plus as mentioned as we get older and more financially secure we have more $$$ to sample the nicer things we couldnt afford in our youth, I know I do. I belive in strong financial planning for our retirement but you also have to temper that with the fact that the hearse they carry you to your final resting spot has no luggage racks
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I belive in strong financial planning for our retirement but you also have to temper that with the fact that the hearse they carry you to your final resting spot has no luggage racks
    What a great way to say that you can't take it with you when you go. Mind if I use that? It's brilliant.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Simple. We're men. Men are just adult boys. We have to have toys. Although some women can really get into hobbies just as obsessively. Take reading for example....books and books and more books.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Two things come to mind: One is that we all have disposable income and the other is that we belong to this silly forum that forces you to buy gear.

Did I nail it or what?
    Yeah, that's pretty much it...

As the saying goes: The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys...to which I'd add "and number".

I have to confess though, that I'm at a point where some stuff has to go before more stuff can come in. It's really a culling of the heard so to speak. I do want to maintain the quality of my stock, after all...

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I have exactly the same feeling as you...

• I think that no other musician "suffers" from GAS like the guitarists...I am DEFINETLY one of them...
    • I surely have more guitars than I can play...
    • During the last year, I've bought SIX guitars while sold 2. I bought one last week, and I've already the need of another one (335 style )
    • I have spent and keep spending so much money on gear, that I don't have the courage to calculate the total amount of money...
    • When I see a 500€ guitar I think "wow it's a bargain, I should buy it" and on the other hand when I see a 100€ pair of jeans I think "that's a steal!!!"
    • I'm 20% a live musician and 80% a bedroom player. Do i need all this stuff??? The answer is NO...
    • I don't know how I got into this, but surely the daily internet browsing eventually made my GAS stonger.
    • My bandmates, smile when they see me always with a new guitar or gear, while they play the same instruments for years. I admit that sometimes this smile makes me feel a little guilty...

I think that we all sometimes have focused in "minor" things such as, the fretboard radius, capacitor or pot values, true bypass pedals, "transparent" patch cables, string gauges, pick sizes etc etc, and we LOSE the focus of main target which is IMO to play and write good music and to become better musicians day by day...

But on the other hand: LIFE IS TOO SHORT, NOT TO HAVE GOOD TONE!!!
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    What a great way to say that you can't take it with you when you go. Mind if I use that? It's brilliant.
    You go right ahead Spud. I figure we have enough $$$ to get me and the Mrs. to 100 years of age financially.....everything after that is gravy.
    One thing I really try to do and it is in fact easier to do with guitars and related gear is buy quality so when and if I do decide to sell my hit is typically less and the cost of ownership is actually less, you can even make a profit with some things. Perfect example I was up to a total of three Princeton Reverbs. I love working on them so I tuned them up total cost of the three and my parts to tune them up $2100.00 sold one of them for 1300 the other two will easily fetch that so Im ahead whenever I want to be. If you buy right on the things you enjoy you can seriously make out pretty good. Keeley compressor cost me 150 didnt care for it sold it 165 bought an Xotic BB pre-amp 150 Im 15 bux ahead already and got to test some nice gear!
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, it happens with all hobbies. It was the same when I was an avid R/C racer, and also when I was really into scale auto modeling (a hobby I will return to, I like it a lot!)...

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Robert, it happens with all hobbies.
    I agree, but why only guitarists have this...hobby?
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos