Thread: Before commiting vocals please assess track

Post Thanks / Like

Default Before commiting vocals please assess track

I am at the stage where I am just about ready to add my friend's vocals to the mix. I would appreciate comments as to how the track sounds to you as is. Be critical because I really want this to come out well, it's for a demo.

The is the complete Yellow Ledbetter tune mastered with slight compression and sans vocals:

http://www.box.net/shared/542sntucbv

The feedback is always appreciated but thanks in advance.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Applause...

I am far from anyone to be a critic... But...other then it sounds excellent... there is one note that keeps ringing out..that "to me" sounds off key or out of place.. I think its an open E? string.. I hear it at these seconds.. 1, 12 , 15 25, 39 4:30 4:34 4:40 4:56.. and like I said..its probably "me".... but the rest sound superb! if you didn't say it was for a demo..I would not even mention it... kinda feel funny saying it anyway actually.. but your sound is excellent otherwise! I really dig the song!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

One word. AWESOME!
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. I was concerned about levels and such. On several listens I find the drums and bass overpowering the guitars. Through cans it sounds better. Tough to get this mixed spot on.

Appreciate the kind words.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was listening before I read your last post and I agree the drums, esp. the cymbals, were overpowering the guitars just a little, esp. before you add vocals. I did not find the bass overpowering, at least through my Yamaha YST-M10 computer speaks that usually sound pretty good. The playing and the rest sounds absolutely awesome. No expert here, but that is just what I am hearing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Totally awesome!!!!!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, your track sounds great.. The hi-hat could have a little less treble (and volume if possible), otherwise its a top class track!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's nice, Pete. How did you record this? Very nice sound.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe once the vocal is added, the over powering parts will fit in OK. They will sound more like accents behind the singer. I would leave it alone for now and give the singer(s) a chance to perform their part. Perfection is impossible. I was on a Beatles site the other day and reading how many mistakes were found on many Beatles songs. They became #1 hits anyway. Good luck on the project.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Pete, your track sounds great.. The hi-hat could have a little less treble (and volume if possible), otherwise its a top class track!
    Thanks, Swede.

I believe I can correct the harshness of the hi-hat by rolling off the 12k frequency in EQ. Cut by amount -6 should make it less harsh.

I still think the guitars may need to come up just a bit in the mix, except for the lead which sounds loud enough.

Thanks.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    That's nice, Pete. How did you record this? Very nice sound.

Robert I made a total switch from Cubase to Mackie Tracktion. I also have several amazing VST plugins I've collected over the years. I use my PodXT as the interface to my PC. In this case I recorded to my old IBM ThinkPad T30. The patch used on the XT for the clean sounds on the guitar was something I build from the ground up using the L6 Boutique Amp as the foundation for the patch.

Thanks for listening to this and commenting.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    I believe once the vocal is added, the over powering parts will fit in OK. They will sound more like accents behind the singer. I would leave it alone for now and give the singer(s) a chance to perform their part. Perfection is impossible. I was on a Beatles site the other day and reading how many mistakes were found on many Beatles songs. They became #1 hits anyway. Good luck on the project.
    Thanks, Tim. My biggest problem is that I am a perfectionist and will just keep doing take after take if not for someone, my wife usually, forcing me out of the studio. Also, I'm my own worst critic.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Yeah, that is what I really meant. The high hat intrudes just a little to my taste. The rhythm guitars get overun a little and maybe that would be corrected by toning down the high hat. Why don't you try that first and then see if you still need to bring the rhythm guitar up. I agree the lead comes through fine. Keep in mind, this is all from a newbie guitarist.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Pete,
    I will say first I wish I could make a track this clean and in-your-face audio wise! Great job, my friend.
    I would agree with you, the guitars could be brought up a bit, not the lead, it's fine, but I believe bringing the others up some would offset the "perception" that the drums are a tad loud, to my ear the drums are okay, the guitars are under them.
    The palm muting, etc, brings a very live feel to your recording, something I enjoy very much.
    I do not care for studio recordings where the live feel is digitally spirited away until only a sterile, cold, perfectly digital repetition of notes is produced.
    Give me pick on string noise, fingers sliding along strings, palm mutes with the "wakka-wakka", hammer-ons all in-your-face so I know a guitar player did the song, not a MIDI robot (although they have their place).
    This is what you do, in spades.ude: Congratulations, and thanks for sharing that with us here.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal