Thread: Fender Bassman --- Bassman 70

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Bassman --- Bassman 70

The Fender (Ultra Linear) Bassman 70 is not a bad amp at all!!
    2 6L6 power tubes, 70 watts (thought 6L6 was a 25 watt tube? anyways..) ,

2 channels bass and normal (both channels can be jumpered for another sound)
    2 inputs per channel, bass deep switch and bright switch, master volume for both channels,
    volume, treble and bass controls (no mid) on each channel , line-out (both channels can be jumpered for another sound)

Ok, I am still "new" to amps and guitars. I wanted a "real tube" base sound of "clean" to build on.
    I set my goal to 300.00- 400.00 usa dollars. Either new or used did not matter much.
    Nothing fancy, didn't need any effects because I already have them.

Knowing fender amps as clean I focused on them. There it was .. Bassman the Clean of fender!
    Then I started reading, In most threads "they" say it "has to be" this certain older bassman or else you get garbage.
    I kept searching out threads on bassman's when I seen such a difference in prices on old 'blackface" bassmans and newer "silverface" bassmans.

The old Backface is hard to get under $500.00, I have watched on e-bay.. you might get one torn up for less...
    or one that hums etc.. but on the average its going for $500.00.

On the other hand, I am no collector.. or keeper of anything. The Silverface bassman goes from $250 (beatup or needing caps) to $400.00.. right in my price range.

Never hearing one, I started searching why these are such "bad" amps.. and from what I can tell there is a number of reasons compared to the old blackface.

1)CBS made them.. thats the biggest complaint. (and their point? most are made in china now)

2)After the old fender stock ran out (first year or two of Silverface amps) the circuit was changed along with parts. people claim to cheaper parts (cheaper then the chinesse parts these days?)

3)Bias went to Hum balance circuit to just cancel hum but not actually Bias the tubes "properly?"

4) Solid State and Ultra Linear was used for transformer. (aint most Solid State now?)

Well, I had my data... but how bad does this really make these amps, sound wise, for someone that didn't hear or knew they heard old blackface amps and just wanted a clean channel to build on?

I searched further.. Bassman70 and Bassman135 both had more power, but with the dreaded UltraLinear transformers.. these must really sound like crap!

Time passes.. I keep searching.. and start to run up on some sites that actually think the silverface is the deal.
    In fact some say the newer (silverface) ones did one thing better..
    they had cleaner "clean" fender sound! (sterile? not to me) even with those dreaded Ultra Linear Transformers!
    plus more headroom! sonofa gun! thats what I wanted.

It also seemed in most threads that those that down the silverface amps have never actually played through one..duh!!
    So I started looking for "new" amps with the features of the Bassman70 or 135 and that price range with being tube drive..
    not out there.. nothing seemed even close to what an old silverface has in this price range...

I had to bite..
    I found a Bassman70 Head in pretty darn good shape with manual and schematic.
    When it arrived, I really didnt expect much from it. I mean it's a "Silverface" after all and it uses that dreaded "Ultra Linear" transformer!!
    To top that off.. the bias setting isn't there.. I only get hum canceling and balance..

Time to hear it hum, hiss and sound like crap... turn it on..
    my goodness.. I don't hear a thing.. oh wait..
    it has to warm up...
    hmmm..still silence.. hit strings..and it rings out.. wooohooo..
    so much for the worries of caps and Hum canceling.. its a winner so far.. but how does it sound to these ears?

Not knowing what a true "blackface" amp sounds like ... it sounds fantastic!! Pure Fender!!
    Compared to anything "fender" that I "owned" , it blows away the Cyber-Champ I had!!

I am able to feel the power and tubes come thru my little 2x12 cab!
    All I wanted was a "clean" Fender sound with some power.. and I got that in spades!!

Let me note here, even with the Ultra Linear Transformers.. The CBS as owners.. SilverFace..
    And bad rap these amps get.. I don't care!!

You are not going to find a 70 watt head with 6l6 tubes and the fender label and sound any place for $300.00-$400.00!
    except on e-bay and one of these amps!

Also, if you must have the blackface circuit and the older Bias circuit..
    there is a ton of mods out there you can do to these amps and make them "blackface" later if you really really think that is needed after you "hear" these amps!

Added feature... the Bassman70 has a line out to record with and it works, but does not silence the speakers with master down..sigh..
    still need a dummy load for that part.. not bad for $329.00 for mine.

Before anyone wants to tell me what garbage these are..
    make sure you actually played one..
    make sure it's not just the hype you have "heard" that these suck eggs..

because I am more then pleased with the "SilverFace" compared to what I would have to pay for a new amp that might sound like a fender clean amp.

And make sure you mean the "clean" sound, I didn't/don't want my tubes to distort.. using the master control you get the tube feel as it goes up but no breakup if that makes sense?
    I want my pedals to distort them...thats why I bought them.

For anyone wondering if a SilverFace is worth the money..
    hey, I like it, I like it alot..
    and if you understand this is fender clean with headroom.. no distortion.. (use pedals for that) then go for it..
    if nothing else, you put it back on e-bay and have had the experience of what they really sound like!

Hmm.. whats the clean fender sound to me.. the closest thing I can think of at the moment..
    Country clean.. You all have heard it... you might not like it or your taste in music.. but you heard it.. and this amp delivers that big time..
    then add in the pedals and I am grin'n like a possum in a garbage dump!
    ude: : : ude:
    Some links of interest on Silverface good or bad you decide:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...assman+70/10/1

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/site.php?postnum=643

http://secretvietnamwar.com/jeff/fender/amp/amp.htm

http://www.griblinengineering.com/newsletter.htm

http://www.unclespot.com/SF2BF.html

http://www.unclespot.com/FenderBF.html

http://www.musicgearreview.com/revie...lay/10330.html

Only thing I found on Youtube with a Bassman 70..
    you can hear that it still distorts with pedals...

Bassman70 and Big Muff:

Check out more of his clips with other stomp boxes for an idea

http://youtube.com/user/magmoronline

Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; September 8th, 2007 at 01:34 PM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Pignose G40V I won on eBay arriving today, and it's a dual 6L6 amp also, but only rated for 40 watts. Are dual 6L6's capable of 70 watts?
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you give us a detailed report on the Pig Nose after you give it a test drive. I am interested in how much it weighs.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    I have the Pignose G40V I won on eBay arriving today, and it's a dual 6L6 amp also, but only rated for 40 watts. Are dual 6L6's capable of 70 watts?
    That's the same thing I was thinking.. got something to do with pushing the voltage thru I guess...

On a side note.. this thing came with a good pair of matched GT 6L6B tubes.. but for the heck of it I had already ordered Matched Winged =C= 6L6 tubes off e-bay.. just cause we do those kinda things around here
    To my ears.. and only mine probably.. the 6L6B tubes are creamer overall.. But I kinda like the Winged =C= 's with say the Muff... You can instantly hear a difference changing tubes.. although the C's have a scratchy sound when on clean with no pedals they remain at the moment.. As for Biasing.. they are both a matched pair.. and I did use the Hum cancel balance matching things on the C's although it was a very very tiny turn to clear everything back to silence..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    The Hot Rod Deville and Blues Deville, and even the Vibro King have dual 6L6 tubes and crank out 60 watts. That's actually the first time I ever saw an amp rated at 70 watts.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

From what I gather the UltraLinear models are the ones that push them some how..50 to 70 and 100 to 135... and in the original book its marked 70 watts rms 154 watts peak...

from one of the sites this is all I can find:
    Quote:
    The bigger amps
    Next we get to the 35-70 watt amps, which included the Pro Reverb, Super Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb, which were all combo amps, and the Bandmaster and Bandmaster Reverb heads. All of these amps sported twin 6L6GC power tubes, and were rated between 35 and 50 watts. (70 watts by 1976 after the circuits were changed to ultralinear) All of these amps had one thing in common...they were LOUD...and generally clean. They all had a master volume added by the late '70's.

The main problem with all of these amps is clean headroom. By the time the 6L6GC's start giving some decent compression and distortion, you are pretty much at window shaking levels. Though, any of them would be excellent if you are using stomp boxes or effects processor.

end quote:

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Congrats on your amp!

I don't take much stock in ampophile persnickety comments. I like tube amps and have 3-- a '66 Fender Super Reverb, a pre-69 Sunn 200S, and a 90's Sovtek MiG 50H. I like all of them, and oddly enough with a minimum of tinkering with the controls I pretty much still sound like me no matter which one I play through.

ude: :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    When it comes to those amps, it isn't the UL circuit that makes them sound bad, it is the excessive plate voltages. tung
    See, it's these comments that make us new guys avoid these amps.. but I am now wondering why these comments even exist?

Tung, I can tell, you know your sheeet.. but in what way do "those" amps sound bad? and to who? those wanting tube breakup using only half their dial or those wanting clean all the way up the dial and letting pedals add the breakup?

What all tube amp in the $300-$400.00 range will have these features and sound this good? Did the silverface, which is point to point wiring, really have cheaper items then those now made in China etc today?

Im still under the influence.. this is in no doubt the best amp this newbie has used to date.. excellent tone "to me" which you build on with pedals.. I wish there was more silverface bassman clips out there.. maybe people would quit saying how bad these sound...
    I just dont get it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    However, if it works for you, great. More power to you. It wasn't my intention to malign your amp. But if someone were to ask me my opinion about those amps, I would say listen to it first, then look at the logo and cosmetics.
    tung
    Naw, no bad intentions taken... it's just a conversation..and opinions .. we all have them... it was a great rebutal.. but you didn't answer any of my actual questions..(well I guess ya did kinda sorta..) nor did you mention if you have had first hand use of a bassman 70? .. strange how those questions are always side stepped with what people say they have heard... or seen.. but not actually done...

And I think by the mid 80's it had to be Marshall balls to the walls or nothing... course thats just what I think and have heard and seen..

I think the "need it to break up" comments are just strange.. but thats personal choice.. Didn't hear les paul break up much.. nor Jazz players.. I am sure they do.. just always felt a clean start was better then one breaking up..

And thanks.. I am happy with it.. very much so.. now to do some blackface mods to make it breakup at 3!! "NOT" lol.. j/k

Post Thanks / Like

Actually it can be done, you can change the output tube from pentode to triode mode this is done alot, I have 2 135 watt twin reverbs that I have done this to they sound very good and get to the breakup point earlier, or you can change out the power tranny and and add choke which isn't to expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Everyone

I just got 1 of the Fender Bassman 70 Blackface's . does anyone know if this head's chassis will fit in any of the fender combo cabinets ?

Ch-1 has = Volume, bass, & treble /// Ch-2 has Volume, Bass, & treble /// then a Master Volume.....

1-12, combo cabinet
    2-12, combo cabinet
    2-10, combo cabinet