Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
I am Spartacus!

Thread: I am Spartacus!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am Spartacus!

Well... actually I'm Algonquin, and opening with 'I am Algonquin' didn't seem to have the same impact.

The 'I am Spartacus' line has been stuck in my head for the past week since my wife and I rewatched the flick 'That thing you do'

Algonquin is a fairly popular wilderness park located in Ontario, Canada.

I've been getting back into guitar since the Police announced they were going back on tour. I did a Youtube search and came up with some decent guitar lessons for 'Message in a bottle'. For me, learning that AWESOME intro really sparked my interest again.

Since then I've dusted off my old equipment, bought some new (including a guitar for my daughter) , and have been having a great time relearning old and new licks. I guess it's like riding a bike... it all comes back to you (eventually).

I'm currently looking for a small practice amp, one that I can drag around the house to make noise with, and have close to the PC so I can play around with I browse the sites.

I've been going over many of the old posts for the last couple of days, and I'm really impressed with the way folks represent themselves in an open, honest and friendly manner.

Regards,

Algonquin
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Spartacus!! Uhh, I mean Algonquin...:
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome Algonquin! I enjoyed studying the people your park moniker comes from when I was a kid. This is a great place to be and sounds like you will fit right in.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to TheFret.Net!
    Glad you joined us.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome.
    I hope our past ramblings are helpful to you, but that's just what guys our age do...when we aren't playing guitar.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Algonquin!

You have two Roland Jazz Chorus amps? I love the 120 and 90, but I havent tried the 50 model (yet).. does it have a single speaker?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

pes_laul Guest

welcome algonquin what kind of guitars do you have

Post Thanks / Like

Yay! Another Ontarian! Welcome to a really cool place. Sounds like we're near critical mass for a weekend jam sometime in the good weather.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Algonquin and are you living near that park somewhere? If so I'm just down the street from you so to speak....so helliott better get something arranged that good weather is almost gone....I had to put on my jacket today...jeeshhhh!:
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow, another Canuck! Wow, there sure are a lot of Canadian guitar players up there in the frozen north! Some really good ones, too, from what I've heard here. Welcome to TheFret, Algonquin, we're glad to have you here. ude:
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Algonquin, good to have you aboard!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Welcome Algonquin!

You have two Roland Jazz Chorus amps? I love the 120 and 90, but I havent tried the 50 model (yet).. does it have a single speaker?
    Good morning SuperSwede, and thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Yes, I have two JC amps, the JC-120 is still going strong, and the JC-50 is still hanging in there.

I purchase the JC-50 back in 1982. It has a single 12" and a decent chorus built in, but I've always been confused with what Roland considered distortion on these amps.

The JC-120 I consider a really great amp, and you can purchase one new today for about the same $$ as I did back in 85-86.

I just wish you could adjust the chorus on these amps, but it's been good enough to keep me from buying a separate pedal.

20+ years on the 120... and only replaced one fuse! I give it top marks for durability.

Thanks again for the great welcome!

(Editted for spelling)
    Last edited by Algonquin; September 10th, 2007 at 09:19 AM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeusse
    Welcome Algonquin and are you living near that park somewhere? If so I'm just down the street from you so to speak....so helliott better get something arranged that good weather is almost gone....I had to put on my jacket today...jeeshhhh!:
    Morning Zeusse.

I'm not as close to the park as you are, but closer than helliot. I'm about 140 Km's west of you, and about 120 Km's east of helliott.

I've marked myself down on Ted S's 'Fretters Map'.

I chose 'Algonquin' as canoeing is another of my favoutire activities. I usually pass by your way a couple times a year heading just north of Kingston, On. Frontenac P.P. is a great place for canoeing and hiking.

(Editted for spelling)
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Spartacus Algonquin haling from the land of Ontario, Canada. You have chosen a great place to learn about the fine art of guitar playing. We hale from many lands located East and West, North and South from you homeland. I say again welcome and enjoy.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Good morning SuperSwede, and thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Yes, I have two JC amps, the JC-120 is still going strong, and the JC-50 is still hanging in there.

I purchase the JC-50 back in 1982. It has a single 12" and a decent chorus built in, but I've always been confused with what Roland considered distortion on these amps.

The JC-120 I consider a really great amp, and you can purchase one new today for about the same $$ as I did back in 85-86.

I just wish you could adjust the chorus on these amps, but it's been good enough to keep me from buying a separate pedal.

20+ years on the 120... and only replaced one fuse! I give it top marks for durability.

Thanks again for the great welcome!

(Editted for spelling)
    I had the 120 for a couple of years, and I loved it. The distorsion, or whatever Roland wants to call it, sounds horrible. Its more like a gimmick than a useful effect.
    Btw, have you tried the Roland Bolt amps? Only tube amp (hybrid, tube poweramp) that Roland made. I think that they only made these in the early 80´s, and they sound like a mix of a JC and a Mesa/Boogie Mk.II.. Very nice!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like