Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New "Cool" ZYS Clipping Mode

Thread: New "Cool" ZYS Clipping Mode

Post Thanks / Like

Default New "Cool" ZYS Clipping Mode

My souped up modification of the BYOC TS-808 clone pedal, which I call the "Zonkin' Yellow Screamer" (ZYS) has three switchable clipping modes. On the pedal, they're labeled Hot, Normal and Cool. The Normal mode uses the same basic silicon diode clipping as the original Tube Screamer, albeit set up asymetrically for a bit more smoothness. The Hot mode uses a pair of yellow LED's that give a louder, sharper overdrive that is often described as "Marshall-like" in its character. For the Cool mode, I've used a 3x3 array of 1N34A germanium diodes, which give a smoother, quite "bluesy" signal clip. While the tone is quite nice, the drawback to this mode is a significant loss in volume vs. the "dry" signal, due to the low voltage threshold of this diode type.

Through my reading on a number of different effects-related websites, I came across many references to other means of inducing signal clipping beyond simple diode arrays. One that caught my attention was MOSFET-based clipping (metal oxide semiconductor field effects transistor). MOSFET clipping is reputed to give a smoother overdrive tone than silicon diodes, similar to the germanium tone, but with more volume and fullness. The use of MOSFETs for clipping has become quite popular in high-end overdrive and distortion pedals--the Fulltone OCD and Fulldrive 2 pedals maybe the most familiar examples.

Anyway, since the parts involved were cheap--a couple of IRF520 MOSFET's at about a buck each, and a couple of 25 cent 1N34A germanium diodes--I decided to give it a try. I bought the MOSFETs from Small Bear Electronics, and soldered them and the 1N34A diodes (which I had a few of on hand) together on a small piece of perfboard. Then I just opened up my ZYS, removed the old 3x3 germanium clipping section, and wired in the new MOSFET array. While not as neat and well laid out as it would be if I'd built the pedal this way originally, it fits in the enclosure nicely and, most importantly, works perfectly.

The MOSFET clipping array does indeed give a very nice overdriven tone, and I can understand why they are popular in boutique pedals. While not quite as "soft" in character as the germanium array I used previously, it is very noticeably smoother and warmer sounding than the stock silicon diode clipping. It seems to have a somewhat fuller sound, too, which I would guess has something to do with harmonics. I'd say that this clipping mode comes as close to the tone of an overdriven tube amp as any pedal I've played personally. And the volume is essentially identical to the stock TS clipping, so no volume loss anymore when I switch to the Cool setting!

I'll try to get a clip posted in the next couple of days so that those interested can hear the difference for themselves....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

What would be the cost for this modification on existing ZYS pedals Voo?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The parts are cheap, but the "price driver" is the time it takes, which is a couple of hours in all between disassembly, fabbing the new clipping array, and reassembly. I'd say $25 plus shipping.

Just like getting your car fixed--it's the LABOR that kills ya!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    The parts are cheap, but the "price driver" is the time it takes, which is a couple of hours in all between disassembly, fabbing the new clipping array, and reassembly. I'd say $25 plus shipping.

Just like getting your car fixed--it's the LABOR that kills ya!
    Understandable. The only thing that I'd be concerned about too is having USPS deliver the package back and forth. Oh but you already know my reservations about that!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Understandable. The only thing that I'd be concerned about too is having USPS deliver the package back and forth. Oh but you already know my reservations about that!
    One word (learned the hard way): INSURANCE.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DVH what are the possibilities of a layout drawing and parts purchase. I build and refurb amps so Im not a stranger to an iron. Id just need parts and a diagram to find my way as to what needs a burnin.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Is this mod going to become stock in future versions of the "Zonkin' Yellow Screamer"?
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    Is this mod going to become stock in future versions of the "Zonkin' Yellow Screamer"?
    I'm definitely leaning that way!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Hey DVH what are the possibilities of a layout drawing and parts purchase. I build and refurb amps so Im not a stranger to an iron. Id just need parts and a diagram to find my way as to what needs a burnin.
    I'll e-mail a couple diagrams to you. Mark. As far as the parts go, here are links:

You'll need two of each.

BTW, who's "DVH"?

-- DVM

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

DaVanHalen, DaVoodooHead DafreakinMarkforgothowtotypemynamecorrectly OR how bout BRAI FART ....there did it again Brain Fart LOL

Oh and thank you DBH: :
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Oh and thank you DBH
    DBH....hmm, lemme think....Duh Butt Head??

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting. Man, this beast of a pedal already has a million options. You're just gonna keep adding more features just so we have to get them and use this pedal to ruin or weekends by flipping knobs for hours, aren't ya? :
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Sounds interesting. Man, this beast of a pedal already has a million options. You're just gonna keep adding more features just so we have to get them and use this pedal to ruin or weekends by flipping knobs for hours, aren't ya?
    This wouldn't be an additional feature, but rather a substitution for the existing 3x3 germanium diode clipping array that's used for the "Cool" clip mode setting. Tonally, it's not quite as "soft" as the germaniums, but it doesn't have the volume loss problem, and it sure sounds warm and S-M-O-O-O-O-T-H! I really like it. I'll do my best to get a clip posted this weekend....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!