Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
GFS Humbuckers??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GFS Humbuckers??

Post Thanks / Like

Default GFS Humbuckers??

I'm strongly considering getting a black humbucker for my Fullerton ST4 HSS, a.k.a. the "Fat Fully", and moving the zebra Duncan Custom 5 that's in it now into my Epi Elitist LP Standard. The Duncan Pearly Gates that I have at the bridge in that guitar is an excellent pickup with a very bright, articulate top-end. However--and I think this may be because I play through smaller amps and at lower volumes--it seems a little weak to me in the mid-to-low frequencies. The Custom 5 has a stronger bottom end and may match my tastes and equipment/playing environment better. I want to give it a try in the LP, in any case. Which brings me to the matter at hand....

Not wanting to sink a lot of money into a guitar I paid $27 for, I was looking at the GuitarFetish.com humbucker lineup. The following three models caught my eye as possibilities:

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of these models in particular, or with the GFS humbuckers in general? BTW, my playing centers on blues, classic rock and hard rock. No jazz, country or death metal.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I'm strongly considering getting a black humbucker for my Fullerton ST4 HSS, a.k.a. the "Fat Fully", and moving the zebra Duncan Custom 5 that's in it now into my Epi Elitist LP Standard. The Duncan Pearly Gates that I have at the bridge in that guitar is an excellent pickup with a very bright, articulate top-end. However--and I think this may be because I play through smaller amps and at lower volumes--it seems a little weak to me in the mid-to-low frequencies. The Custom 5 has a stronger bottom end and may match my tastes and equipment/playing environment better. I want to give it a try in the LP, in any case. Which brings me to the matter at hand....

Not wanting to sink a lot of money into a guitar I paid $27 for, I was looking at the GuitarFetish.com humbucker lineup. The following three models caught my eye as possibilities:

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with any of these models in particular, or with the GFS humbuckers in general? BTW, my playing centers on blues, classic rock and hard rock. No jazz, country or death metal.
    I have the GFS Alnico Fat PAF Boutique humbuckers (zebra) in my Schecter PT Elite and they are amazing sounding. I love those pickups and cannot rave enough about them. They sound great in full humbucker and when coil split.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/alfatpafbohu3.html
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

As per our email discussion Voo and also per sting's personal experience I think either the Fat PAF or Crunchy PAF would be good in that Fat Fully. I hear lots of good things about the GFS pickups and their prices are right.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The only humbucker in the GFS line that I have any experience with is the Retrotron Liverpool Std. that I have in my Squire '51. I was looking for a pickup that would do a jangly tone through some nice crunchy bite, as I thought this would be well suited to the '51. I'm completely pleased with this pickup in this application, both in humbucker and split coil modes. It does exactly what I wanted it to do.

This may not answer your question directly, DVM, but it does shed some light on the GFS pickups - especially in regards to their descriptions of their tone. They are pretty much right on the money with their descriptions. You do get what they say you'll get.

Post Thanks / Like

Just ordered a Fat PAF. Should match up with the Fully and my tonal aspirations nicely!

Thanks for the advice, guys!! ude: :

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Bloozcat,

I was looking at that exact pickup for my '51, the Retroton Liverpool Std, as well as the Dream 180 Dreamtron . I am hoping to get rid of the excessively bright and honky sound of the original humbucker. Am I on the right track?
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongins
    Bloozcat,

I was looking at that exact pickup for my '51, the Retroton Liverpool Std, as well as the Dream 180 Dreamtron . I am hoping to get rid of the excessively bright and honky sound of the original humbucker. Am I on the right track?
    Yes, I would say so. I believe that the '51 was designed to have a somewhat bright sound on the bridge pickup, but it shouldn't be excessive. And certainly not ice-picky either. I look at the '51 as a cross between a Strat and a Tele in tone, so it makes sense that the bridge humbucker should be able to get into that jangly, twangy territory. With the addition of a good tone control, the Liverpool becomes a very versatile pickup in the '51.

The Dream 180 looks to be a good choice as well, although I've never hear the pickup personally.

Post Thanks / Like

I received the GFS "Fat PAF" humbucker yesterday (typically fast delivery by the GuitarFetish folks), and installed it in the Fat Fully last night. By the time I got it wired in, it was too late to crank up one of my amps, so I just tested it through headphones using the "Boutique Clean" amp model on my Vox AD30VT. I won't be able to render a final judgement until I play it properly through a speaker, but preliminarily it sounds very good. Seems to have a good solid bottom end, but its bright and very articulate top-end is what caught my ear. Another nice feature is that, not being a super-hot humbucker, it gives a better tone when coil-tapped than the Duncan Custom 5 I had in the Fat Fully before. That one just sounded a bit thinner and less loud when tapped but still clearly "humbuckerish", while the coil-tapped Fat PAF takes on a greater degree of single-coil character. You even get a bit of that "quack" tone at the second position on the 5-way pickup selector switch. Kind of cool....

One thing I have to do is get a flat humbucker mounting ring for this guitar, because the slanted style that came with the GFS pickup holds the screw coil substantially closer to the strings than the stud coil. That's gotta affect tone some, and probably not in a good way! The ring I had on the Custom 5 was slanted, too, just not quite as much.

Anyway, so far so good on this pickup, and quite a deal at only $29 + shipping. GFS sells a neck version of the Fat PAF, too. See 'em both HERE.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

BRIEF UPDATE: Wasn't around much this weekend, but did finally get a chance to play the Fat Fully with this new GFS Fat PAF bridge 'bucker last night for a while, and the tone on this thing just SLAYS! I had it workin' through the UK'70's model on my AD30VT along with my Rat clone pedal--gain on both amp and pedal set around 50%--and was getting a great driving rock tone. Fat and crunchy, but not muddy in the least. Great top-end clarity, but not harsh sounding. How they sell these for $29 + shipping is beyond me. Easily worth double that. I'll think twice before I spend $75 on a Duncan or DiMarzio humbucker in the future.... : ude:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    BRIEF UPDATE: Wasn't around much this weekend, but did finally get a chance to play the Fat Fully with this new GFS Fat PAF bridge 'bucker last night for a while, and the tone on this thing just SLAYS! I had it workin' through the UK'70's model on my AD30VT along with my Rat clone pedal--gain on both amp and pedal set around 50%--and was getting a great driving rock tone. Fat and crunchy, but not muddy in the least. Great top-end clarity, but not harsh sounding. How they sell these for $29 + shipping is beyond me. Easily worth double that. I'll think twice before I spend $75 on a Duncan or DiMarzio humbucker in the future.... : ude:
    That's good to hear DVM. Since a lot of our modding is on guitars that don't cost a lot to begin with, the GFS pickups seem to fit the theme - inexpensive, but with a lot of potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Voodoo. I have a guitar that one of those might be perfect for.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading some of this thread..

I finally went with the GFS FAT PAF's neck and bridge for my OLP John Pertucci..
    they been in the mail for a few days, so I will get to play with them soon.

Just could not justify putting more expensive pickups in this guitar..
    And this thread shows they must be worth it...
    Been a year thinking on which to put in it..

thanks guys.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking of getting one too. Does anyone know what the spacing is on the bridge pole pieces?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I'm thinking of getting one too. Does anyone know what the spacing is on the bridge pole pieces?
    Sonofa..gun... I forgot all about this..and the bridge I have is f spaced.. don't know what the GFS is.. how much of a difference do you think this makes?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    Sonofa..gun... I forgot all about this..and the bridge I have is f spaced.. don't know what the GFS is.. how much of a difference do you think this makes?
    It won't make a difference at all. I just like my pole pieces to line up that's all.

Post Thanks / Like

Tone.. the fat paf are standard size.. and don't sound bad...

Alot more power than the stock OLP's had..

Post Thanks / Like

hi guys, how would these GFS pickups compair to the Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker set, I would like to upgrade my lowend Ibanez pickups, The bridge pickup is tiney and bright and the neck is muddy, I tryed rasing and lowering the pickups nothing helps.
    Thanks Keith.
    Guitar/ Ibanez GAX 70, Squier standard Strat, Epi plus top Honey Burst
    Amps/ Epiphone Blues Custom 30, Fender XP Vibro Champ 5 Watt tube Amp
    Randall RX 15
    Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

I really should not say anything when it cmes to pickup tones.. but they went in easy... they sound pretty good to me in all types music err or sounds...

The bridge don't seem tinny to me..

Umm this clip is on bridge..

ude:
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; October 3rd, 2007 at 03:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently installed the GFS Vintage '59 in the neck and bridge position on my Washburn WI64DL. After playing with it for a couple of weeks, I ordered the Fat PAF for the bridge position and left the Vintage '59 in the neck.

I am totally stoked about these 2! I play Southern, Classic and Contemporary Christian Rock and these babies deliver! The V59 neck put out a ton more volume than the V59 bridge plus it has a SWEET bluesy tone. The Fat PAF gives me a matching volume level plus it delivers the right amount of crunch for what I want. I probably wouldn't recommend them for extreme heavy metal, but they do cover Sabbath well. (I know - there's something wrong with this picture - Contemporary Christian and Black Sabbath played by the same guitar. But, I grew up listening to all this and I still enjoy playing it and listening to it. It's just music - not some kind of brainwashing medium. But I digress, this is fodder for another thread.)

Anyway, for anyone looking for a set of pups for less than the cost of a Duncan, go with the GFS's! They rock! ude: :
    Last edited by bigoldron; November 28th, 2007 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast