Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Intimidated by DIY??

Thread: Intimidated by DIY??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Intimidated by DIY??

If you find the idea of building your own effects pedals a bit daunting, then Keith Vonderhulls over at Buildyourownclone.com has something to assuage your fears. For first-time customers, buy one or more of Keith's excellent pedal kits and you'll get his new "Confidence" Booster kit free of charge. This simple linear booster is a perfect "learn as you go" project. And if you screw it up--SO WHAT?? Didn't cost you anything, and you can return the other kit(s) for a full refund if you decide DIY'ing just isn't for you.

So whaddya waitin' for?? ude: :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon, you pansies! Isn't anybody man (or woman!) enough to step up to the soldering iron and give this a try?

Seriously, until I built my first BYOC kit late last year, I'd never done any substantial amount of work on electronics and had no soldering experience other than watching other people do it. This stuff ISN'T HARD, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you plug in an effect box the first time and it makes the noise it's supposed to!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd order one of those, except I've already ordered three Tube Screamer boards from BYOC.

Duhvoodooman is right: that is a screamin' deal, jump on it!

tung

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    C'mon, you pansies! Isn't anybody man (or woman!) enough to step up to the soldering iron and give this a try?

Seriously, until I built my first BYOC kit late last year, I'd never done any substantial amount of work on electronics and had no soldering experience other than watching other people do it. This stuff ISN'T HARD, and it's a lot of fun. Especially when you plug in an effect box the first time and it makes the noise it's supposed to!
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Huh, I missed this before. Will check it out. Might need a fuzz or something and then get the confidence booster for fun. Does he sell a talent boost?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a fun project....I'm in ude:

I was looking at that octafuzz......every GG needs a good fuzz pedal for those Jimi moments

Thanks for the link duhvoodooman!

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, can't beat free can you. :

Let us know how it turns out.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Gal

I was looking at that octafuzz......every GG needs a good fuzz pedal for those Jimi moments

GG
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Does he sell a talent boost?
    If he did, I'd build 5 of them and daisy chain 'em together!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Gal

GG
    Well, AWRIGHT!! Now you're talkin'!

Yeah, the octafuzz is pretty cool, and is one of Keith's newer kits. The Overdrive is his most popular kit, based directly upon the legendary TS-808 circuit. Another one that I can vouch for personally is the Mighty Mouse, which is a ProCo Rat clone. This pedal sounds AMAZING--sustains for days. It's a little tougher build than some, though, mostly due to a kind of tricky alignment of the PCB with a DPDT toggle switch. The Triboost is very cool, too, from what I've read, and the Fuzz Face clone looks interesting. So many kits, so little time!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

A BYOC Script 90 Phase is on my already burgeoning Christmas list, so the Confidence Booster Kit will be as well.

Mrs. Santa is usually pretty good at making sure that I get my little hearts desires (because I'm such a good boy ), that I'll probably see it under the tree in a few short months.