Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey you master carpenters!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    [/COLOR]

Another factor in formulating my opinions regarding speaker cabinet construction is empirical evidence. Close to my home is a custom guitar shop that was, before they moved, right next door to a custom amp shop. The owners of both shops are tone obsessed. About two years ago, they jointly constructed several speaker cabinets with a variety of woods, in a variety of configurations, and with a variety of finishes/coverings. They even experimented with several different baffle boards and cabinet backs. The results of their experiments proved beyond a shadow of a doubt to everyone who was a part of the tone test (at least eight people in all, including me), that choice of wood makes a tremendous difference in the tone of a cabinet. The types of finish/coverings also make a big difference along with the baffle board construction.

My opinions on speaker cabinets prior to this was based on a lot of anecdotal evidence from individual cabinets I had used and information from others' experiences. I was fortunate to have seen and heard a much more comprehensive study, first hand, in a controlled experiment. Let me tell you, the results surprised a lot of us, and many long held notions about tone had to be abandoned in the face of the evidence. But more important than seeing our pre-concieved notions validated, was the enlightenment that came from learning that we were wrong. No one likes to have their opinions repudiated, but I personally would much rather learn that I was wrong and correct it, than to forever cling to an erroneous opinion.

I'm just trying to pass along that which I was so fortunate to have been privy to....
    well, I guess after you explained your points to me, I can see the validity of your point and see how you get it, I guess since I didn' see that experiment which you mentioned, I can't say from experience, although that does sound like an awesome thing to do. anyways, I guess I'm trying to say that you have convinced me about your opinion, though I am still reluctant to admit fully that I was wrong.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    well, I guess after you explained your points to me, I can see the validity of your point and see how you get it, I guess since I didn' see that experiment which you mentioned, I can't say from experience, although that does sound like an awesome thing to do. anyways, I guess I'm trying to say that you have convinced me about your opinion, though I am still reluctant to admit fully that I was wrong.
    LOL, you remind me of myself when I was your age...

If you ever get the chance, try it for yourself. Experience is the best teacher. The hardest thing is always maintaining an open mind when doing so, though. We all like to be validated in our opinions, and we often are. But it's even more gratifying to learn something new, even if it comes at the expense of our cherished beliefs. We all have an ego, and it often interferes with learning...but only if we let it.

And yes, I still find that I am wrong about many things...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    LOL, you remind me of myself when I was your age...

If you ever get the chance, try it for yourself. Experience is the best teacher. The hardest thing is always maintaining an open mind when doing so, though. We all like to be validated in our opinions, and we often are. But it's even more gratifying to learn something new, even if it comes at the expense of our cherished beliefs. We all have an ego, and it often interferes with learning...but only if we let it.

And yes, I still find that I am wrong about many things...
    well, I guess most of it is pride, I mean hey, testosterone produces a big ego, which I do have most of the time, although I do have a generally mellow disposition, especially after lunch. anyways, my point is, I'm a guy, what do yoiu want me to say?!
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    anyways, my point is, I'm a guy, what do yoiu want me to say?!
    Here's what I usually say: "I thought I was wrong once, but upon reflection I realized I was mistaken".

I can't tell you how many ex-wives have slapped me for that .

Dugly

Post Thanks / Like

I usually subscribe to the philosophy of:

"I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong."
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12