Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Classic Player series. Does Fender lie? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Classic Player series. Does Fender lie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I wonder if Lev's pickups are Abbys or not. Are they Lev?
    I've not checked yet. I need to change strings this week so I'll do a full clean and take a look under the hood. For me I don't think it'll matter too much because I love the guitar for what it is, a great sounding, looking and playing guitar.

I'm not sure if Fender is acting unethically in this case, if Fender put inferior pickups in the guitar and got someone in the factory to put A.B. and a date on the back then that is unethical. And to be fair it would be very easy to do!

I think Fender has been caught off guard with the popularity of this instrument, I'm sure Abigail cannot possibly continue to oversee/hand wind each pickup that goes into the CP60's as well as fulfilling other orders for
    CS69's. Therefore Fender has obviously changed their manufacturing process to cope with the demand. And they did in my opinion the 'ethical' thing by modifiying the spec on their website to reflect this (if they said nothing would anyone be the wiser?). So for me it's up to the retailer to keep up to date with spec changes and inform the customer. This comes back to the whole argument about how guitars are now sold out of massive warehouses rather than by friendly knowlegable people in your music store.

They key question here is are these Custom 69's inferior in quality or tone to the CS '69's? If so then Fender should at least be dropping the price a little to reflect this. If however these PUP's are identical in design and specification and are not available in any other production model outside the Custom Shop then I don't really have an issue with it.

I'll let you know what I find under the hood but either way I won't be putting the guitar on eBay.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks like they may have just dropped the word 'shop' from the name of these pickups across the board.....

- Lev

Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb

Post Thanks / Like

While I think it's completely appropriate to question Fender's business practices here, I would ask that posters stay away from broad and unjustified personal statements, such as implying that lawyers are evil. There are, of course, many lawyers who are admirable people, just as there are (for example) clergymen who are scum. It's the human condition--we come in all types, good, bad and (mostly!) in between.

It's a testament to this forum that we have both lawyers and clergymen here, and all of them seem to be great people! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    While I think it's completely appropriate to question Fender's business practices here, I would ask that posters stay away from broad and unjustified personal statements, such as implying that lawyers are evil. There are, of course, many lawyers who are admirable people, just as there are (for example) clergymen who are scum. It's the human condition--we come in all types, good, bad and (mostly!) in between.

It's a testament to this forum that we have both lawyers and clergymen here, and all of them seem to be great people! :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humor

Thank you.
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

This is getting interesting....
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereotype

You're welcome.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    This is getting interesting....
    yep....

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I've just received an email from the Greek dealer of Fender!

Fender contacted the Greek dealer in order to solve the problem. So, a guy from the Greek dealer contacted me and told me that acoording to their records, the guitar didn't come to Greece through them (which is right, as I bought the guitar from Germany online)

He also told me that indeed it's a strange thing, and that I should contact Thomann (the online store that sold me the guitar) and ask them about this issue...

So I've just email Thomann and wait for their official answer...
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    yep....

ww
    Just a tad "testy"........................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Just a tad "testy".........
    definitely...i've got my popcorn and beverage and am just watching the show!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    [off topic]
    duhvoodooman let me ask you: are you a lawyer? And if so, do you have anything to do with stereotypes as those depicted in movies and novels?

I’m a computer programmer. The most common stereotype about programmers and IT people in general, is that they are pencil-neck geeks with no social life whatsoever. Would you be surprised to find out that I’m the exact opposite to this?

Stereotypes and hyperbole are common in art. As they are in everyday life, esp. if you are trying to humor things. Now, there is that word again: humor!

duhvoodooman, your politically correct attitude starts to worry me. Following your suggestions, movies like “The Devil’s Advocate” should be illegal. In that case, I suggest we censor every movie featuring a geek computer programmer. ude:
    [/off topic]

[on topic]
    It’s almost certain someone messed things up royally with this guitar. I don’t believe it is some middle man (e.g. the German dealer). Fender has exhibited similar behavior in the past.

Let me remind you about the Highway series. When they first came out, they were described as a “limited” series, they had 2 piece bodies and much attention to detail. Less than a year later, Highways had 4-5 piece bodies and quality comparable to the average Mexican Fender of the time.

Bottom line: I wouldn’t trust them. YMMV and probably will.
    [/on topic]
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

Okay folks,

Here is my experience after working several years for Fender.

To my understanding Abigail is a custom wirer, she did some custom shop sets personally and indeed there was a very limited and expensive series that had HER pick ups with her initials and the CS sticker, but definitely this was not in the Classic series.

What Fender did was that they did a serial production and they took Abigail's wired pick up as a model after which specification they built the new pick up.

Quationing Fenders business strategies and behaviour is sheer unfair. Fender is not interested in telling lies and push customers away. They just built great guitars and they never pretend - means that when you read the specifications on a Fender guitar and you buy it it is exactly like that. Everything else and any further error is an error of the dealer and not Fender itself.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    Okay folks,

Here is my experience after working several years for Fender.

To my understanding Abigail is a custom wirer, she did some custom shop sets personally and indeed there was a very limited and expensive series that had HER pick ups with her initials and the CS sticker, but definitely this was not in the Classic series.

What Fender did was that they did a serial production and they took Abigail's wired pick up as a model after which specification they built the new pick up.

Quationing Fenders business strategies and behaviour is sheer unfair. Fender is not interested in telling lies and push customers away. They just built great guitars and they never pretend - means that when you read the specifications on a Fender guitar and you buy it it is exactly like that. Everything else and any further error is an error of the dealer and not Fender itself.
    Jimi, you are totally correct but I think the confusion comes from the fact that the first run of CP60's guitars did indeed have signed pickups installed. That's why I think that with the volume of sales of these guitars Fender couldn't continue to supply actual Abigail signed/wired pickups. Hence they now have the same specification pickup (we think) but without the signed and dated 'A.B.'
    - Lev

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Jimi, you are totally correct but I think the confusion comes from the fact that the first run of CP60's guitars did indeed have signed pickups installed. That's why I think that with the volume of sales of these guitars Fender couldn't continue to supply actual Abigail signed/wired pickups. Hence they now have the same specification pickup (we think) but without the signed and dated 'A.B.'
    Hello Lev, it is indeed the same specification.
    As I am not 100% sure about the how the first run of the Classic Player Strat was equipped, I can not confirm this. I asked an old colleague of mine over at Fender and he doubts , too that Abigail's sigs were installed.

Generally, I do not care much about which name is on a product, I let my ears decide and for sure the Fender pick ups are brilliant with or without Abigails initials.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    [off topic]
    duhvoodooman let me ask you: are you a lawyer? And if so, do you have anything to do with stereotypes as those depicted in movies and novels?

I’m a computer programmer. The most common stereotype about programmers and IT people in general, is that they are pencil-neck geeks with no social life whatsoever. Would you be surprised to find out that I’m the exact opposite to this?

Stereotypes and hyperbole are common in art. As they are in everyday life, esp. if you are trying to humor things. Now, there is that word again: humor!

duhvoodooman, your politically correct attitude starts to worry me. Following your suggestions, movies like “The Devil’s Advocate” should be illegal. In that case, I suggest we censor every movie featuring a geek computer programmer. ude:
    [/off topic]
    Last comment on this, and then we should probably stop

No, I'm not a lawyer, have nothing to do with the legal profession, and have no family members or close friends who are lawyers. Also, anyone who knows me well will tell you that the lack of a sense of humor is not one of my (many) faults.

Your comments re: lawyers, though intended humorously, were (IMO) quite pointed and potentially hurtful to a couple of our members who are lawyers. Robert's forum guidelines contain the following statement:

"Any communication that is likely to be taken as an attempt to humiliate, embarrass, harass, threaten or belittle another member is considered a violation of these guidelines."

While I certainly don't believe that was your intent, note that the above statement says nothing about intent, but rather how the communication "is likely to be taken". And it seemed to me that a lawyer might take those comments rather badly. Since I take my forum moderator responsibilities here seriously, I felt it was appropriate to comment on this.

Lastly, I think extrapolating that a request to be sensitive to the feelings of other forums members constitutes tacit support for movie censorship is, well....a wee bit of a stretch, logically speaking.

DVM over and out.

** CLICK **

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

DVM, thanks for sticking up for me. I appreciate it. I have stayed out of this because I am a member of the "suspect class". Hey, guys, we are all friends here and I am not offended. Abraxas, generally speaking, I am not deeply offended by lawyer jokes. Too many of them out there to be offended. But I am not very much amused most of the time either. Again, just heard too many of them, and the humor is often mean spirited, which is not my favorite type of humor. Don't get me wrong, there are funny lawyer jokes and I can take a joke. Just most aren't that witty.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions about the role of a lawyer in United States society, and if someone really believes that all lawyers are ruining the world, that would bother me. (EDIT: I re-read the comment, It really says "Yeah, that happens when you let lawyers run the World.") I also understand why the jokes happen, and sympathise with those that feel they have been abused by lawyers in some way. I didn't really take the comment we are talking about like that, but I didn't necessarily care for the comment either, partly because the comment helps to perpetuate a mis-statement. I was not going to comment, but because DVM has so valiantly stuck to his guns, I thought it unfair to leave him twisting out there without comment. Not a big deal, and certainly not worth any censorship, but I do appreciate DVM's support. I don't think anyone intended offense, and I do not feel offended. Might be nice to move on though.

As to the topic at hand, I do not know enough about the facts to comment and would defer to people that know more like Jimi75, or direct contact with Fender.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

BACK TO THE TOPIC GUYS!!!

Let me put it this way to you...

Even
    if the pickups on my guitar have the same specs with the 'A.Y'-ones, even if they sound exactly as them or even better, you have to admit that:

The fact that Fender advertises the CP60 models as 'equipped with Custom 69 pickups" is MISLEADING.

For example, how would you feel if you discovered by chance that one device of your laptop was not exactly the one that you thought when you bought it.
    Even if it worked perfectly, I think that you would have the feeling of being cheated...

Just simple as that...
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:

Personal Myspace:

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of making a thread here, perhaps it would have been better to directly deal with email to Fender. You could have even pursued dedicated Fender forums that have Fender employees that would answer this question. Chris Greene's Fender Forum and thefenderforum.com are two such sites.

This thread's sole purpose seems to be for bashing lawyers and Fender, in general. Personally, I view Fender no differently than any other company. I've had products I've liked and disliked. I don't go on forums *****ing about these products. I've dealt with the vendor or manufacturer in those instances and that's how I got satisfaction.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by stingx

Instead of making a thread here, perhaps it would have been better to directly deal with email to Fender. You could have even pursued dedicated Fender forums that have Fender employees that would answer this question. Chris Greene's Fender Forum and thefenderforum.com are two such sites.

This thread's sole purpose seems to be for bashing lawyers and Fender, in general. Personally, I view Fender no differently than any other company. I've had products I've liked and disliked. I don't go on forums *****ing about these products. I've dealt with the vendor or manufacturer in those instances and that's how I got satisfaction.

According to that opinion, we shouldn't talk about anything concering guitars here...

OK guys. I got it!!!

Sorry for taking your precious time, by making you read irrelevant threads... It won't happen again....

Lets talk about cars!!

PS: By the way, if you read closely to my threads, you'd see that I have ALREADY emailed Fender
    MY GEAR:
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:

Personal Myspace:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast