Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Classic Player series. Does Fender lie? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Classic Player series. Does Fender lie?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The AY looks a bit different on mine compared to the previous picture you posted of the initialed PUPs. I doubt very much Abigal herself has been initialing all of these PUPs. From reading the threads on the Fender Forum I don't think anyone ever got a custom shop sticker or a fully signed 'Abigail' on their CP60's PUPs.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

But they sound awesome right? :

Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    But they sound awesome right? :
    well if they make me sound OK, I can only imagine what a real musician could do with these PUPs
    - Lev

Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aw come on Lev. You are real. And you sound great. Where is that link to Tone's post about being apologetic about our playing. ude:
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I have some news about the pickups:

I contacted Thomann (the German music store where I bought it) and they asked me to send them some close photos of the pickups (showing both the top and the bottom of the pickups) in order to send them to Fender Europe for some extra info.

Fender told them that these are indeed 69 pickups, and that they don't put any the custom shop sticker on them and A.Y. doesn't sign on them anymore.

They told me also that this tactic occurs on the SRV model too, which has the Texas Specials pickups on it but without any mark on them, in contrast to the ones that you can buy separately.

Also the guy from Thomman told me that he checked not only 4 other CP60s that he had there, but the Custom 69s that he had for sale and he noticed that:
    1) all the (new) CP60s didn't have anything written on the bottom of their pickups
    2) the CS69s that had for sale had also light grey colored bobbin, identical to the one on the CP60s pickups.
    3) He also checked the poles of the "original" and the CP60s' ones and found them identical.

Also he mention that as far as he knows, Abbigail doesn't sign anymore pickups for Fender...

Fender's specs about CS69 mention that the all 3 pickups have a DC resistance of 5.8k.
    So I decided to see if my pickups have the same resistance too...

I took off the pickguard and unsoldered the pickups in order to measure the resistance with a Digital Multimeter.

I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that my pickups had very close resistance values to the nominal ones!

BRIDGE PICKUP:

MIDDLE PICKUP:

NECK PICKUP:

After all this information I think this:

Probably Fender has a great sales demand for the CP60s models and so the production of these specific pickups was transfered to Mexico too. They are made according to the Custom Shop specs, but they are not Custom Shop made...
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

Having way to much time on my hands and a computer close.. I asked a few dealers selling the custom 69's packaged on e-bay if theirs are signed.. I have gotten 3 response's.. all having the initials A.Y.and dated.. so I assume.. it was not much of an experiment.. as these could be OLD STOCK.. but they are still available to purchase like that.. no one mentions they have Abbey on them at all any more...

Good to see they fall into the 69 range... and probably are "as good" as Abbey wound pups.. but still feel for ya due to the Vintage price factor later down the road....

And lev.. dude... ya know you make that 69 sing...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great info Elavd!! Thanks for all the investigation - I hope the lack of a signature doesn't stop you from enjoying this guitar - it's still a great sounding axe!

Oh and Justa, Steve & Tone -
    - Lev

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    I hope the lack of a signature doesn't stop you from enjoying this guitar - it's still a great sounding axe!
    It's agreat guitar for sure, but I want to make clear this issue anyway...

I'll try to post some audio (or video) clips soon
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234