Thread: Blues You Can Use

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blues You Can Use

It seems a few of us fretters have discovered we are using the same book and CD to improve our “blues” playing skills. Thanks to Tremoloman for mentioning it to me, I went out and purchased the book “Blues You Can Use” and CD at B&N. I read the first 4 lessons and played some of these lessons this past weekend. Through a few posts, it was noted that a total of 4 fretters (so far) are learning from the book. The history of the thread can be found under the “Tap, Tap, Tap … is this thing turned on?” started by Warren http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=417.

Anybody else using this book or has in the past, please chime in.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting, tell me more!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I too am interested, although is there a bass version???!!!

Actually, I'm currently trying to nail down some of Bob Stroger's bass lines from a live session with Otis Rush recorded at Wise Fool's Pub back in '76. 'Dem is Da BLUES! Otis is the real deal. Along with Buddy Guy and Eddie "The Chief" Clearwater, he's one of the last of the original West Side bluesmen.

The CD is a Delmark release, and I highly recommend it for any of you interested in the blues. It's called "Otis Rush - All Your Love I Miss Loving."
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Robert - Stay tuned. The fretters are beginning to speak. Hopefully all will contribute whether used the book or not. We newbies can learn by just listening to the older blues players speak their wisdom.
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

It turns out a friend of mine had this book, so I borrowed it. he still has to find the CD for me. Looking at the first lessons, you can jazz them up some by using vibrato and some additional bends. Hmm, there are some cool alternative chord fingerings (Lesson 4) that I think I will enjoy.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Jokingly, I had asked earlier if there was a bass guitar version of this book. Well, what I found, and just ordered off Amazon may be even better. It is called, "101 Blues Patterns For Bass Guitar." I hope to learn some new stuff, especially some of the more advanced turnarounds, intros and endings.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

Post Thanks / Like

R_A_,

Looks like your on your way as a bass player to learn some new "blues" licks and tricks. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of books! The only 2 you'll ever need are Blues You Can Use and Matt Smith's Chop Shop for Guitar. Between these 2 books you can learn the how and why of about all of it.
    -Ray

Post Thanks / Like

welcome ray!

i'm not familiar with the Matt Smith's Chop Shop for Guitar....is it an instructional book or a book on the mechanics and workings of guitars?

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

It's an instructional book and cd. It covers a lot of tricks and tips, and theory. I'm not a real believer in the need for classical training and theory to be a good guitar player, but you need some theory to understand how it all works and fits together if you ever want to make the music yours. He doesn't beat theory into you he throws it out there in small understandable chunks. I'm a hard learner and he puts it in a way that even I get it. I've loaned it to at least half a dozen players from beginner to accomplished players and they have all bought their own copy. I think on Amazon.com all of the reviews rave about it.
    -Ray

Post Thanks / Like

sounds great...think i will get a copy

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    R_A_,

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?
    Yes, I do!

BTW, welcome Ray. Check out the section "The Fret Players," and post a little something about yourself there.
    Last edited by r_a_smith3530; February 23rd, 2006 at 06:40 AM.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt Smith is a regular at the Hamer Fan Club Forum when he's not on the road. He seems like a nice guy. That guy can really play.

That orange guitar that he is holding on the front cover of his book "Matt Smith's Chop Shop for Guitar" is the same kind of Hamer guitar that I have.

I should buy his book and check it out. Thanks for the tip.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I am using "Blues you can use" as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice book! I've only used the 1st 10 pages so far, but I've got to get back on it soon. I've been slacking since we've been perfoming gigs so much lately.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix