Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jazz?

Post Thanks / Like

Whoa there young lad. Please don’t put me in the same class as “Lightning Robert” or “Tone to the Ear”. I read more than I should play.

But you make an interesting point on how people determine how a particular artist sounds. It’s all in the ear of the beholder. But I do think that 25 years of playing and the skills obtained from tweaking a ton of amps put more credence in one individual’s knowledge of styles and sound. I believe we have fellow Fretters that have both: years of playing and years of gained skills. I trust and cherish the information exchanged on this forum.

But as you mentioned Justaguy … the artist is the one who makes the final decision on the tone and sound of a sound. I agree with you. Your surf sound is a good choice for the backing track chosen.

Thanks for the scale. I will study the scale chart and apply it to your explanation of how you did the solo for the song.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim.. hehe... I know your like me... learning from these guitar players... picking away at their knowledge.. Like the grasshopper to the master lol.. I dunno if years matter.. Im sure it helps.. I know practice matters.. Johnny Lang as a young man not old enough to have the experience you mentioned has a sound I just dig... Claptons early tone was better in ways to me...before his experience.. I also cherish the information obtained here.. and its a pleasant experience reading here with little to no gripes at all.. very uncommon in the forum arenas... let's here some clips from you soon...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Justa – I’m working on clips. I was told I can use my V-Amp2 to get my playing into the computer. From the V-Amp2 balanced output I can go through the computer’s mic input. That is were it stops for me. I need a program to sort all this stuff out into tacks. I posted an earlier message asking if Cakewalk’s Music Creator 3 would do for a program. It looks like it is on the same scale as Warren’s Garage Band program for his Apple computer. From here I need to practice, practice, and practice. Then I need to practice on my guitar.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

About any software with tracks is capable of making your clips... there is even a FREE one... http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ audacity is cross platform and free..and works... maybe not as pretty as those you spend alot of money on..but it works... you can also plug straight into your Headphones input and just run a 1/8th out to a soundcard... least it works for me.. 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor... this free software and you have it... very little expense
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; August 20th, 2007 at 10:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh a sidenote to Audacity... you need to also install LAME MP3 Encoder which allows export as a MP3.. I found the output to be fine and programs to be easy for simple copying tracks into a multi track file from importing mp3's and doing a live record of guitar..This also uses VST plugins right now although the graphic layers are removed..making it look generic but still workable.. A newer version in beta has some more features, but this version is stable till beta is done..

For Window Users:
    http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~raa110/audacity/lame.html is a link to LAME binaries... I just created a folder under Audacity folder named lame and unzipped to it.. then ran lame.exe to install it.. Audacity will ask you for the location of the lame_enc.dll which will be in this folder created once you run lame.exe

Attached is an example .. I did it the same as using adobe Audition, backing track and live guitar but softer.. then Quick Mix down with fades in and out.. .. the Audacity even comes with effects such as FADE etc... there is no difference I can tell with free programs or purchased.. except looks..
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; August 20th, 2007 at 10:32 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12