Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Music Room
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Music Room

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Music Room

I've wanted to set up a music room (actually my get away room) for about a year and still have been unable to do it. Initially I had to evict my son from the room and mission was accomplished. I now have my daughter (16 yrs old and tough to mess with) occupying the room as an extension of her bedroom. She keeps her desk top computer in there that is sitting on a large office desk. In addition, my wife uses it as a storage area and an extension of her side (or 3/4) of the closet.

Because I haven't won the battle, I usually move around the house like a nomad. Right now I set up camp in the sitting room (down sized living room). It's ok, but no door and I have to set up and tear down every time I play.

So I was curious on how you deal with location. Also, and this is of real interest to me, how many of you have a room all set up that is dedicated to music or at least almost exclusively a music room. Do you have recording equipment, wall hangers for guitars...
    and for you that don't have a music room, but hope to one day, what are your ideas for set-up?

Pictures of your set up would be great for those of you that have music rooms.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

One room and it is mine. My rules - my stuff. If the door is closed stay out.
    It is all set up to record, playback, sleep on the couch, grab a guitar whatever is needed for expression except a fridge. They make too much noise, and I'd never get anything done having temptation so close.

I'd take a picture but it's a wreck right now.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would love one of those someday. With real estate what it is, I don't want to spend what it would take right now to add on to do it though. All other rooms are taken. If I can do one sometime, I envision a computer, recording stuff, amps, a keyboard, and guitars in cases or hangars. (if the room was humidified I'd hang 'em up, til then I like them in cases with humidifiers). Right now, I am more like a sub-tenant in my wife's office (she has a home based chiropractic practice). It is where the home computer resides. I keep my amp down there and have room in her closet to stash my guitar. I have to set up and tear down every day though. At least I can leave my main pedals daisy chained in the lap top case I use for them, and leave them plugged in with the 9spot sitting in the case on top of my amp. Her adjusting table makes a nice place to sit and work things out and practice.

When my mother in law, who lives next door, goes on trips, I can sometimes set up over there and leave it set up, and even crank it up some.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I FINALLY have my music room. Up until a few months ago 5 of us (3 daughters, my wife and me) were living in a double wide mobile home. No garage, no basement, no room for Dad and way, way too much estrogen.

As of July 1, we have a new house and I have commandeered the basement "family room". In fact I had the boys over for band practice this evening. Drum kit, PA/Monitoring system, guitars, laptop... I'll have to take some pixs for y'all.

My little piece of heaven. And it's mine!

MINE I TELL YOU! MINE! BWHAHAHAHA!

Oops, gotta dial back on the enthusiasm Having room to move rawks ude:
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds sweeeeeeeet! Congrats Trev!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    My little piece of heaven. And it's mine!

MINE I TELL YOU! MINE! BWHAHAHAHA!

Oops, gotta dial back on the enthusiasm Having room to move rawks ude:
    Congrats!!! And I totally understand.. I am fortunate to have a room of my own also.. its not as big as a basement.. but it works for me.. TV room, Computer room and Guitar room.. I can be as messy as I want and just shut the door.. I would hate to and feel for you guys that have to take down and put up... I think that is one reason I can start to really practice, seeing the guitars are always in reach, plugged and ready..for my artistic adventures..

Pic of room... computer behind me..
    couch to MY right... Big Screen to my left..
    pedals and amps outgrowing room in front of me...
    I guess the rooms about 13 x 16 ..someplace in there..
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; October 11th, 2008 at 02:50 AM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine........just got a Tweed Bassman 4x10 to fit in......

You don't stop playing the guitar because you are old....You get old because you have stopped playing the guitar.

www.myspace.com/rocknrollshaman

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

You and I have to put our foot down and demand space. You're task will be more challenging being so out numbered by the females.

To those that have a space - congrats.

Fingers, it's hard to tell the size of the room, but it doesn't appear to be too large. The room I have my eye on is probably 11x12 at best. Once the old clutter is out and the new clutter brought in, I think it should be adequate.

I want to do the same thing as you and hang the guitars on the wall. It would be so nice to grab one of the guitars, plug in and play.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, wouldn't take that much room for a dedicated room. Fingers room looks pretty cool, and I have seen Spud's. Also really a modest bedroom/office size. All in time. My wife is open to the idea, but we do not have a room that will work right now better than what I am doing. The upstairs bonus room that could work is too close to the bedrooms to even turn my amp on or play my acoustic, so the office is the best bet. We are talking about adding on to her office and making it a rec room/music room where I and the family can leave out the music stuff and grab and play. (Trev has all the girls, my family is me, two boys a girl and my wife).

It is cool, everyone has an interest at this point. My 10 year old and I are in guitar lessons, my 7 year old boy and my wife are going to start piano/keyboard lessons after the first of the year and Christmas arrivals. (big music Christmas being planned this year), and my 4 year old likes to take a turn strumming on my guitar or have her Barbie keyboard with mic around to join in.

The problem is the cost of adding on to the house may prevent the plan for a dedicated room for while. Further adapting her office may be the best plan. It is 250 square feet and could be arranged to minimize set up and tear down and cabled to computer, recording stuff/computer without too much trouble. That is one of the reasons I want the Toneport UX2 for my birthday.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

pes_laul Guest

i think i got the perfect room ever my bedroom lol-it has my bed on one side and a big wooden entertainment center that holds my TV games stereo recording equipment etc. i have two guitar stands on one side of my room (one for my strat and a acoustic) on the other side on the floor i have my line 6 spider III 15 (great for practicing and recording) also on the floor i have my dod overdrive and all my FX and what not dont forget a big powerstrip . and my closet which holds cases keyboards etc (oh yeah and my wardrobe) so yeah i have a pretty good setup basicly the only time i have to leave is school and suppertime

pes_laul Guest

Default I spy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fingers
    Mine........just got a Tweed Bassman 4x10 to fit in......

is that a line 6 spider III 15 i see

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    i think i got the perfect room ever my bedroom lol-it has my bed on one side and a big wooden entertainment center that holds my TV games stereo recording equipment etc. i have two guitar stands on one side of my room (one for my strat and a acoustic) on the other side on the floor i have my line 6 spider III 15 (great for practicing and recording) also on the floor i have my dod overdrive and all my FX and what not dont forget a big powerstrip . and my closet which holds cases keyboards etc (oh yeah and my wardrobe) so yeah i have a pretty good setup basicly the only time i have to leave is school and suppertime
    Ahhh, to be young again.

Enjoy it!!!

Getting older is not bad, it's the expense that kills ya.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    is that a line 6 spider III 15 i see
    No it is a Spider 112 75 watt......................rarely used...bought as a first amp.

The Vox AD50 next to it is superb...........and the Fender tweed bassman, not in the picture, is even better.................
    You don't stop playing the guitar because you are old....You get old because you have stopped playing the guitar.

www.myspace.com/rocknrollshaman

Post Thanks / Like

The back bedroom of my house is my sanctuary:

Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice to see the Fret pulled up on the computer monitor! Nice amph stand too!

oh, the amps and guitars are pretty cool too. ;-)
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Steve. Lots of notes get played in here.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

The third bedroom is mine...

It's funny, but it was my wife who suggested that I convert the room into my "hobby room", as she calls it. She got tired of my "stuff" in the second bedroom, the office, and even in our bedroom to an extent. So I gladly took her up on it.

I put four 5'Wx6'Hx2.5'D lockable cabinets against two of the walls, and a 4' long workbench with side drawers/cabinets on a short wall in a corner of the room. Plus there's the closet as well. All of my music stuff is stored in the cabinets and closet, along with all of my hunting/camping stuff (another of my expensive hobbies).

It is so nice to have my guitars sitting out on stands where I can pick them up anytime and play. I do limit the number that are on stands at any given time to just four, though. Otherwise, the floor space gets a little cluttered, with the row of amps right behind them taking up more of the space. I keep the room nice and neat - except the workbench at times when I've got a project going on - so my wife's happy too. Even the cat's happy as she loves to follow me into the room and sleep closeby when I work on a project.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have missed this, but approximately what size rooms are these "guitar lounges"
    Mark

pes_laul Guest

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Ahhh, to be young again.

Enjoy it!!!

Getting older is not bad, it's the expense that kills ya.
    yeah sometimes i think i mooch of my dad (only a little: )

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast