Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Nocaster pups.......any info?

Thread: Nocaster pups.......any info?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nocaster pups.......any info?

I have just bought a Nocaster bridge pup, for my Tele, off 'fleabay' and instead of it being the current 7.3k pup it is an earlier.......much sought after?......10.2k version.

I can't find any info on when the change was made to the Nocaster pups....have searched various Fender forums without success.

Anyone here help with a bit of history..........
    You don't stop playing the guitar because you are old....You get old because you have stopped playing the guitar.

www.myspace.com/rocknrollshaman

Post Thanks / Like

I was unaware of any changes to the Nocasters. I do know that when I was looking for Tele pickups, the Nocasters were almost universally praised. If the information is to be found, it is on the TDPRI. A quick search only turned up references to the fact that the resistances changed.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks marnold.......Yes I had a look there first and even posted the question.......to no avail.

I understand that the original Nocaster guitar was a 10.2k........some time later when the pups and the guitars were reissued by the Custom Shop the resistance was down to 7.3k

I have to say that in my 52ri with a humbucker in the neck it is stunning.

You don't stop playing the guitar because you are old....You get old because you have stopped playing the guitar.

www.myspace.com/rocknrollshaman

Post Thanks / Like

I personally don't have an answer to your questions, but I think I might know who does. His name is Don Mare, and he knows more about Tele tone than just about anyone I know of.

Don used to be one of the pickup guru's at Lace until he went out on his own and started creating some of the most toneful Tele pickups you'll ever hear. On top of that, he's as nice a guy as you'll ever meet, and he loves to talk about pickups.

Here's Don's web site:
    http://www.buckcannon.com/

I don't know if he still hangs out there anymore, but you could somtimes find Don over at FDP in the PUP forum.

Post Thanks / Like

The output on the Nocaster's pickups was changed after the famous "Cunetto era".. about 95-97? Then reduced to what they use today, what's about 7K.. still hot if compared to the vintage ones, that were about 6K.

The Nocasters made in the Cunetto era had modern vintage specs, like a flatter fingerboard radius and medium-jumbo frets, which many people seem to prefer. I also read the bodies were made in a more artesanal sort of way, with more "irregularities". Actually the new custom shop Nocasters are more vintage accurate if compared to the Cunetto's.