Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freebie Guitar Lessons

Post Thanks / Like

Default Freebie Guitar Lessons

I saw in my new Premier Guitar magazine that TrueFire is offering its top ten lessons for free on CD-ROM. I signed up for it. AFAIK, there is no catch. I've always wanted to try some of their courses. If you want to get a taste for what they're like, click here.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Done. Thanks.
    Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Thanks for the head's up.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I saw in my new Premier Guitar magazine that TrueFire is offering its top ten lessons for free on CD-ROM. I signed up for it. AFAIK, there is no catch. I've always wanted to try some of their courses. If you want to get a taste for what they're like, click here.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Thanks a million marnold

M29

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link. Played until 1:00 Am this morning, up at 6:30 looking for some new stuff and the first thing I come across is your post - much appreciated.

Edit: I've been reviewing and messing around with some of the stuff at TrueFire and I came across some really good material - thanks again for the link.
    Last edited by just strum; September 30th, 2007 at 07:47 AM.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link Marnold :

Looks like a great site!

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Got mine in the mail today. I'll have to do some noodling around with it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Marnold. Look forward to trying some of these lessons out.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Marnold! I am checking it out.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Oooo! Free. I like free! Got one coming.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Got mine today - getting ready to load it and have a look - thanks again.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The case states 20 video segments, interactive software. Mine has no video and some of it sounds more like a drum lesson.

Anyone else have a chance to view it?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Just got mine today. Looks like some good stuff, lots of information.
    Dave
    "You don't have to act your age to feel it."
    DaveO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    The case states 20 video segments, interactive software. Mine has no video and some of it sounds more like a drum lesson.

Anyone else have a chance to view it?
    Did you run the executable in the root directory of the CD? Otherwise, you can play the lessons directly in your web browser or stand-alone Flash player. The lessons are Flash animations. You probably played one of the backing tracks. The Lessons are in the various "les_*" directories under data/cat_1 (or data\cat_1 for you DOS folks) on the CD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Did you run the executable in the root directory of the CD? Otherwise, you can play the lessons directly in your web browser or stand-alone Flash player. The lessons are Flash animations. You probably played one of the backing tracks. The Lessons are in the various "les_*" directories under data/cat_1 (or data\cat_1 for you DOS folks) on the CD.
    Sorry, ISP had troubles or I should say a few of us on the street had trouble and our ISP was slow to respond.

Anyway, thanks for the instructions and I got it going, was working on some of the lessons last night.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up!
    never heard of the site till now.
    Keith.
    Guitar/ Ibanez GAX 70, Squier standard Strat, Epi plus top Honey Burst
    Amps/ Epiphone Blues Custom 30, Fender XP Vibro Champ 5 Watt tube Amp
    Randall RX 15
    Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

I know this probably applies to no one except me, but I was able to get the disc working in Linux using the Windows binary and WINE. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked. Even without the "front end" I can play the videos alone just fine in Firefox (although it makes them fullscreen), the Flash standalone player, or MPlayer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just got mine and loaded it up. It did not automatically open the Apple OS X DVD player, like concert DVD's or movies usually do, so I just clicked on the flash player. Works and sounds great! Thanks!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Since you received your DVD, has anyone started any of the lessons? I'm starting at the beginning with Blues Alchemy. I've got the first two lines down, but stumbling over the third line with the hammer ons and pull-offs.

The cover states the DVD is for intermediate and advanced players. I certainly consider myself in a beginner class without any doubt, but I am enjoying the DVD.

Anyone else have some feedback?
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast