Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
A Bass Tip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bass Tip

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Bass Tip

Because of the huge wave of a bass' signal, sympathetic string vibration can be a problem, especially from the E and A strings (or the B on a five string bass). Bass great James Jamerson dealt with this by placing a piece of foam rubber between the body and the strings, just above the bridge.

It works!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to try that! I wrapped a big rubber band around the very tip of the neck - - because the "vibrational" sounded like it was coming from right there ... basically my biggest problem is my E string (on my upright) ... but I do get some buzz from my Fender electric, too.
    "Upon us all a little rain must fall"
    ~ Led Zeppelin

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard of upright players using a similar technique. I believe that it was either Charles Mingus or Willie Dixon that did something like this. I forget what the exact mechanics of it were, because of course there is so much more space between the face of the instrument and the top of the bridge on an upright.

Hey, speaking of uprights, what are you playing, and how would you rate it?
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you mean my upright? It's a Palatino. It's impossible for me to rate it, as its the only upright I've ever played. However, my nephew loves it and he's played a few different kinds (and was trained classically by someone in our city's orchestra). My father has also played several in the jazz venue and he loves it. That was good enough for me. I couldn't tell you if it's got plywood or not, but it doesn't *look* like plywood. I just really really wanted an upright, the tone sounded good to me and I figured the "average person" listening wouldn't know the difference, so I got what I could afford at the time.

My electric is a Fender Precision II.

Here's a link: http://www.folkofthewood.com/page5036.htm and pic: It says it's spruce and maple - - says nothing of plywood.
    Last edited by The G-string; March 14th, 2006 at 12:21 PM. Reason: adding link and pic
    "Upon us all a little rain must fall"
    ~ Led Zeppelin

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of foam rubber? The round kind that is black? It'd have to be like half inch diameter or so right?

I notice on my P-Bass type Yamaha RBX I get some funny sounds when I fret the low E string anywhere below the 5th fret (A). Anything above that point fretted sounds ok...but I guess this is what you guys are talking about on a bass? (overtones) When I play octaves on the E and D fretted below the 5th fret the weirdness goes away...I'm assuming because I've introduced a more solid vibrating note on the D so the ear automatically hears that better. Its not that bad, but I think I am hearing overtones like the kind you are talking about. The bass IS intonated btw.

Oh also...won't the foam make the strings vibrate less?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember right some of the Fender guitars and basses used to come stock with a damping feature just like that as part of the bridge assembly. I think I had one on a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. You would push a button or lever and it would pop up against the bottom of the strings right by the bridge.

Anyone else remember these?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

If I recall correctly you moved that little round thing in the tailpiece and it would damp everything just like when you hold your hands on the strings...

I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Ok! OK! I’m still a novice here. Super Swede, what the heck is that stove pipe sticking up on that tail piece. Kind of reminds me of a tubular baffle to off set the sound emitting from the guitar’s pick ups.

Then there’s that big old rivet sitting in there amongst those wood screws. Finally, what is the purpose of the chrome piece? I have seen them on bass guitars, but not on a six stringer.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Ok! OK! I’m still a novice here. Super Swede, what the heck is that stove pipe sticking up on that tail piece. Kind of reminds me of a tubular baffle to off set the sound emitting from the guitar’s pick ups.

Then there’s that big old rivet sitting in there amongst those wood screws. Finally, what is the purpose of the chrome piece? I have seen them on bass guitars, but not on a six stringer.
    The stove pipe is where the tremolo arm screws in. Slide the button forward and it raises or lowers a damping pad under the chrome bridge cover. That is the same bridge I had on my Fender Jaguar. This one looks like it is on a Jazzmaster.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    The stove pipe is where the tremolo arm screws in. Slide the button forward and it raises or lowers a damping pad under the chrome bridge cover. That is the same bridge I had on my Fender Jaguar. This one looks like it is on a Jazzmaster.
    Spudman,

Thanks for the fast response. It all makes sense know that you gave a detailed explanation. I could not fathom a tremolo arm sliding down between two strings. It looks like there is a larger distance between the “e” and “b” strings than the rest of the pack.

I can not figure how the damping pad under the chrome bridge cover works. Do you push on it or just rest your wrist when using the tremolo?
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim, it is just a cloth covered piece of metal that applies some damping to the strings so you can play surf music without damping with your right hand. Rather useless if you are not into that kind of music. This (jazzmaster/jaguar) was considered state-of-the-art back in the early 60´s so I guess they added a lot of stuff to make a really "modern" guitar. The internal wiring of a Jaguar is really crazy, you can do a lot with the switches on that one...
    The tremolo is really cool because they are floating, its almost like playing with a floyd rose system. DIVE BOMBS AWAY!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede

DIVE BOMBS AWAY!
    This leads to the next question. What is a DIVE BOMB? I picture it a "windmill" without the full circle.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Dive Bombing (perhaps only known by that name here) is when a 80´s spandex dressed guitarist in the middle of a screaming solo presses the tremolo bar down as much as possible to achieve a "dive bomb sounding" effect. I think that Yngwie Malmsteen still does it sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'll go search "YOUTUBE" for a demo.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Rob - What kind of rubber foam ya talkin' about.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Eddie Van Halen is the king of dive bombing.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah spud... I totally forgot about Van Halen when I wrote the reply. Thanks for reminding me

Post Thanks / Like

Someone forgot to mention that the whammy bar must be used.

Thanks to these two sites, I now understand the “DIVE BOMB”.

http://www.xtrememusician.com/info/g...hniques/7.html

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip.../7607/bar.html
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

What does dive bombing have to do with the original Bass topic? Stick to the thread topic please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast