Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Pod

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pocket Pod

I just bought a pocket pod a few days ago and it's a nice little toy. It's a multi-fx module that fits in your pocket but not quite because it's a little too big for that. It's got a clip on it so you can clip it to your belt, pocket, whatever.

It's loaded with over 300 presets (I counted 347 I think) and there's going to be something for everyone. Using the controls takes a bit of learning but it's a snap once you get it. The presets are arranged very nicely and they fit in 3 catagories, STYLE, BAND, and USER.

STYLE is where you'll find effects as clean, crunch, heavy, effected, bass, vocal, and song. Song is a collection of popular songs like black dog, come together, foxy lady, ironman, etc. This is cool stuff here.

BAND is a collection of artists presets but I'm not familiar with them and what songs they play but there's a bit of good effects in there.

The above presets are read only, they cannot be written over but I think you can copy it and paste it to the writable preset.

USER is the best part of the pod. 124 presets avaliable for writing and they are loaded with a varieties of effects to start playing with. Line6 has an editor (Vyzex) you can downloaded and use it to write your patches via usb on your computer. Everything can be done with a mouse. The editor is well documented for usage but it's pretty easy to use. The pod can be written with the onboards too but that'll take a bit of learning.

Ok I had it for a few days and I consider it as one of the best buys on the market. The advantages are that it runs on batteries and used as a headphone amplifier. You can practice or play anywhere and bother no one. Cd or mp3 in to jam along with your favs and cab tuning to fit your PA or amp.

That's science in a pocket guys.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review! I might just go out and purchase one of those Pod Pockets.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Vedy intedesting, I must look into this further. Thanks for the review!

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Vedy intedesting? C'mon, it's more intedesting than that!
    Last edited by kiteman; October 2nd, 2007 at 03:12 PM.
    _____

_____

pes_laul Guest

kiteman great review: but a couple of questions what kind of batteries does it take? and can it take a power supply like a AC adapter for it I think I might get one i got the floor pod which is pretty nice but I want something a little more portableude:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    kiteman great review: but a couple of questions what kind of batteries does it take? and can it take a power supply like a AC adapter for it I think I might get one i got the floor pod which is pretty nice but I want something a little more portableude:
    4 AAA batteries or 9 volt positive shell power supply.
    _____

_____

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I won a eStudio HoneyTone Headphone Amplifier over on the Washburn forum and although it only has three effects, distortion, echo and clean. I will say they are a fun little toy. It came with headphones, but not an adapter. I have a bunch of adapters and found one that worked - makes a big difference.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--DANE15

Kite, I checked out the one you reviewed and it certainly provides a lot of effects. Does it come with headphones and adapter?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

pes_laul Guest

hmmmm now I'm debating is it easy to switch tones like clean to distortion while your playing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pes_laul
    hmmmm now I'm debating is it easy to switch tones like clean to distortion while your playing
    Probably not unless you can connect a foot controller of some sort to it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

It didn't come with the ac adaptor nor the headphones. I guess you can switch from clean to dirty with a push on the button if you write your presets side by side. I believe that's going to be tricky because it uses a 4-way navigation button.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Can it be used as a recording interface? If yes, GTRC here I come...

Reference this:
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3072
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Not through the usb.
    _____

_____

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Adrian, I know little about the ins and outs of recording, but line 6 has a number of these products and you might want to see if there is something that suit your needs

http://line6.com/pocketpod/

Kite,

I was showing some of the guitar players at work your post - got them really excited about the pod. Nice review.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I found something more exciting, someone uploaded copies of the style and band presets so you can download them and put 'em in the user areas for tweakings.

I've been having a blast. ude:
    _____

_____

pes_laul Guest

if im right the pocket pod comes with a cd with a program to download presets?
    yeah im gonna have to test this out at the music store

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get a cd with mine but it was an open box. It was a last one they got (sam ash) and they were playing with it.

(that's because they left the batteries in it)

I called first though and they said they got it. I drove across town to get it.

EDIT: I almost forgot, there a site with the user uploaded presets called customtone that you can download. There isn't any for pocket pod yet but it's compatable with pod 2.0 presets.

Problem is not all worked.

http://line6.com/customtone/library/
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review.. It sure is a cute little pod.
    I know you drove across town to get that CD.. but..
    I think there is a new version of the software out on their website..
    http://line6.com/software/index.html

got me tempted.. found this F.A.Q. might interest some here..

Q: What sounds will work on the Pocket POD?
    A: The POD 2.0 sounds will work on Pocket POD. These can be downloaded from the www.customtone.com website.

Q: Can I record with Pocket POD®?
    A: Yes! Just run an insert cable out of the 1/8th inch direct out on the back of Pocket POD into your recording interface and record all your inspirations instantly with classic POD tone heard on countless platinum albums.

Q: Does Pocket POD pass audio over the USB cable?
    A: Pocket POD is a class compliant USB MIDI device, but does not pass audio over USB. Pocket POD does come with a USB to USB Mini cable connection jack that will allow you to interface with Vyzex (Line 6's deep editing software), but it will not allow you to record over USB.

Q: Can I connect Pocket POD directly to a PA system?
    A: Yes! You can run an insert cable out of the stereo 1/8th inch output directly into a PA. Pocket POD also has one unbalanced output that can be connected through a DI box directly into a PA system.

Q: Can I use Pocket POD with other instruments besides guitar?
    A: Yes! We cooked up an entire set of presets specifically for use with bass and vocals, but you can get creative and plug in anything you've got with a ¼” instrument level out!

Q: Can I use Pocket POD with other effects pedals?
    A: Yes! Just place your favorite effects pedals in front of, or behind your Pocket POD to create your own customized sound.

Q: Can I use my Pocket POD to jam along with CD's or MP3's?
    A: Yes! Pocket POD comes complete with a 1/8th” (3.5 mm) CD/MP3 input for jamming along to your favorite songs.

Q: How do I engage "latch mode"? This locks the secondary functions of the knobs?
    A: Hold down the "Save" button for 3-5 seconds. This mode will allow you to freely adjust your Pocket POD’s secondary functions without holding down the “Save” button. To exit “Latch Mode” just press the Tap Tempo button once.

Q: Is there a Software program available so I can edit my Pocket Pod?
    A: Yes! You can download a brand new software editor called Vyzex which was specifically designed to work with Pocket POD, from our software page.

Q: Where do I find the serial number of my Pocket POD?
    A: The serial number of your Pocket POD can be found inside the battery-housing compartment behind the top right battery.

Q: What is the warranty on my Pocket POD?
    A: The manufacturer’s warranty on the Pocket POD is 90 days from the date of purchase.

Q: My Pocket POD reboots when changing power source while connected via USB?
    A: Changing the power source of your Pocket POD while connected via USB will cause the unit to reboot and its Class Compliant driver to “drop” it’s MIDI ports. It is not recommended you change your Pocket POD’s power source while connected via USB.

Q: Can I purchase model packs for my Pocket POD?
    A: No, Line 6 model packs are only available for our POD® XT, TonePort and GuitarPort family devices.

Q: Can I use my Pocket POD to connect to GuitarPort Online?
    A: Pocket PODs cannot interface with Guitarport Online at this time.

Q: How do I select the Cabinet Models?
    A: It is advertised that the Pocket POD includes the ability to choose from 16 cabinets, but unfortunately how to do this is not in the manual. This cannot be done on the unit by itself. The Vyzex Editor allows Pocket POD users to choose cabinets and store these settings along with any other setting selections in the Pocket POD's user banks. The program is for Windows XP/Vista and Mac.

Q:Why is the cabinet tuning not working?
    A: As of right now this is a known issue in the Pocket POD and we are currently working on implementing a fix in the form of a firmware update. We hope to release the fix sometime this coming fall (07). Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Q: Why do the Delay changes do not call up model default tap tempo?
    A: If you call up a delay on your Pocket POD and set a tap tempo speed, you may notice that when you switch to another delay, the default tap tempo speed of that delay is not changed. IE: The tap tempo speed of the previous delay is applied to your new delay. This is a known issue with the Pocket POD and we are working on correcting this in a future update.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

No sir, I drove across town to get the pod. It was their last one (so they say )
    _____

_____

pes_laul Guest

Yeah i know what i want for christmas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast