Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tele pickups recommendation please? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tele pickups recommendation please?

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard good things about the Fender Texas Tele Specials. When I get around to doing my Model 7 brain surgery, I'm going to pop a pair of those in there. Less than a C note (US) for both. I'm also going to get one of their four-way switches so I can do bridge only, neck only, both series, both parallel.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I'm at this again... I really want tele pickups that don't hum like crazy when playing live. With that in mind, is there any reason NOT to buy noiseless ones? I hate that hum that comes with live stages with lots of lights and equipment that causes my single coils to sound like a bumble bee. I don't know if there are any "real" single coils that don't hum in these situations.

The DiMarzio Virtual Hot T pickups have my interest.

Justa, did you get Fender noiseless ones? Impressions?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't go wrong with DiMarzios... I'm a Duncan fan myself, and have been for some time. I just like the sounds I get from playing Duncan equipped guitars, although my wallet doesn't like the price.

GFS has been gaining alot of interest, especially at the prices they offer their products, but I haven't used them. Have you thought about EMGs? They're gonna be probably the quietest pickup out there, but they have a reputation for a sterile, almost processed sound. I like the tones my other guitar player gets out of his EMG stuffed Jackson.

With all the choices out there, it can be maddening trying which way to go, with everything from hand wound boutique models to the big commercial guys out there...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think GFS has any noiseless pickups ...yet.
    I have a set of Fender Vintage Noiseless that I'm waiting to install. The bridge pup is dead so I either have to fix it or get a new one. I'll gladly give you a report when I have them in.
    However, in my opinion if you want to end your problem and quest once and for all go with some Kinnman's.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Spud, they are probably great but darn expensive too. Isn't it crazy to put in pickups that cost more than the whole guitar? Not sure about the answer actually...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

You are right. They are expensive but I'm sure that when you find that 1958 that's been in a closet for 40 years in Medicine Hat you can justify pulling them out of the Squier and putting them in that. No more noise!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I am thinking about getting my pickups for my Squier Tele...
    Robert, here's what I did to my MIM Tele...

I went ahead and bought GFS pickups for it. I was looking to keep the Tele sound but give it more power, make it hotter so that it would drive better my tube amp.

For the bridge, I bought the Hot Lead Alnico Overwound (named the Hot TC Alnico on the box)...They say it clocks around 10K, I measured 9.98K! It is pretty hot, but not overbearingly so, and it does retain Tele treble and cuts right through...It's almost a P90-ish Tele pickup.

For the neck pickup, I was looking for something with a marked contrast to the bridge (maybe you and me will disagree on this). I wanted a pickup with a full, warm, rounded tone, and that would also have a relatively high output compared to stock. I finally bought the Alnico Fatbody model...This one I think measured around 8K, but it gives a very warm sound with great definition. I even went ahead and put over it the stock pickup cover, and it just muted it a little bit.

My end result? My MIM has a lot more output, more authority, a better overall tone, and due to the difference between the basic pickup characteristics, I cover a lot of tonal territory.

BTW, I'm not affiliated to GFS, it's just that they make good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

What about the hum? That's my biggest concern.

I am very close to buying Dimarzio Virtual T pickups.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    What about the hum? That's my biggest concern.

I am very close to buying Dimarzio Virtual T pickups.
    Well, in my case, pretty normal-to-low hum levels, and hum-cancelling when both pickups are on...

Long live 60Hz hum! Bzzzzzzzzmmmmmzzzzzmmmzmzzmzmzzmzmmmmzzmmmm!!

Post Thanks / Like

All I know about the Fender Noiseless is I got them at a pretty decent price and I can sit right in front of this monitor with no hummm... as for sound... I think they sound pretty good.. and twangy when I want it.. neck sounds warm when I want it.. but I am a beginner.. if the SCN's would be released as aftermarket I would probably think those to be better... but for fender sound.. Fender quality and noiseless seems fine to me... they fit nice in the squier tele also... and look purrrrdy with the noiseless logo on them..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've got some DiMarzio Virtual T pickups on the way. Should be very interesting to hear what they sound like!

I am noticing that my Tele is more and more becoming my #1 guitar... the pickups in it sound quite good, I have to say. People have asked me at gigs several times what mods I've done. They don't believe me when I say none! The stock pups are fine, but they hum too much on the stages I usually play, so that's why I'm going noiseless.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe I commented one time about the thick tone you managed to get out of your Squier Tele, as demonstrated in one of your videos... Very nice sound, from the examples you supplied.

I've never had any DiMarzios in any of my guitars, but from what I've heard, they're a top quality product...

Forgive my ignorance, but what makes them less noisy? Different metals used in the magnets? Encapsulated (shielded) like the EMGs? Voodoomojomagick?

It's been awhile since I've been in the aftermarket pickup market...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12