Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My Strat (pics)

Thread: My Strat (pics)

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Strat (pics)

This is my main instrument - a 1983 MIJ '62 RI. I've only owned it for about 6 or 7 yrs; killer guitar, very light (6.5 lbs) and extremely resonant.

Changes to it include:

*Seymour Duncan pickups (hot rails; classic stack plus; lil 59)
    *Dunlop Flush Mount strap locks
    *GT Fat Finger
    *DiMarzio pots and switch
    *Callaham tremolo inertia block
    *Tortishell pickguard
    *Mini-toggle switch is a low-pass filter set pretty high for faux midrange boost.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting pup selection. What kind of music do you mainly play? What are your favorite pup switch positions?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

A killer look! Really sweet. The sunburst is done very nicely. The fingerboard looks like it's ebony. Is it polyU finish on the body?
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very nice looking! I also am interested in the pup selection. I have heard good things about some of those pups and remember really liking a clips of all three of those I listened to while looking at pups recently. Would be fun to hear how they are together. I like that PG too!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

It's a really good looking guitar. I hesitate to say Strat because with those pups you really deviated from the classic Strat sound. I would like to hear clips of all three pups in action.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Todd! Those Japs strats are nice. Looks like it goes well with that Super Reverb?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the nice comments, guys. The pickup selection was out of need. I like the warm/round, yet present tone the front pickup provides - still 'singlecoil-ish', but far more of a PAF tone than a std Strat p'up would be. The rear pickup was chosen for two things: 1) high-gain rock/fusion solo tones and 2) when clean with a compressor, yields a nicely convincing pedal steel tone (especially with the low pass filter engaged) - I don't play pedal steel licks (but I do play C&W sometimes) and LOVE the midrange-heavy sweet, steely, bright-yet-round tone that this combo gives.

The midrange pickup was by far the hardest to choose - what was needed was something that would blend with the sonic fingerprint of the bridge and neck models to yield tones (positions 2 and 4) that were most like a regular Strat. I realize that this is not a 'regular' Strat, but I get plenty of quack and whatnot from positions 2 and 4.

I have worked in many different groups over the years and love to play straight ahead jazz, but mostly I work in the realm of 'pop' music (that would include just about anything you would hear on a commercial radio station - true pop, R&B, C&W, rock, blues, etc).

The lowpass filter is my version of a PRS Sweet Switch - in fact, this is exactly where I got the idea - many years ago, I was checking out a PRS and dug the switch. I came up with a combination that works well for my needs. When engaged, it removes all highs above a certain frequency, which gives the appearance of a small midrange boost - there is in fact zero boost, it's just that those mid-freqs are made more apparent by removing the highs, etc. Great for lots of uses - I can go from a spanky/bright funk/rhythm tone to a much fatter/warmer/punchier tone by the flick of this switch.

Robert - the amp is my '66 Bassman in a JD Newell cabinet - I had it built the size of a Fender Twin w/2 12" Reverend All-Tones - killer amp.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, could we see a close up of the headstock...please
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great. :

For me though, I like a Strat with 3 singles.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I am mostly drooling over the amp! Gotta a love an old Bassman!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Robert - I feel like a rich man every time I plug into that Bassman - by far the best sounding and best performing amp I've ever played; loud as you could ever need and miles of headroom.