Thread: Brass fo dat ***

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brass fo dat ***

I've been manufacturing my own custom fit brass slide from brass stock, and was wondering if anybody could give me some input as to slide usage. I had to make my own because Dunlop only makes one size in brass, and huge. It's like 23mm, which is a bear paw of a hand if you're using it on even the ring finger.

I wanted to try a pinky slide, so I made one, but now I want to make a ring finger slide. I am having trouble finding the right stock, but in the mean time, I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about the differences in the two positions for the slide. Are there advantages/disadvantages, or is it a style and preference thing?

nrn
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

oops, was I not supposed to say ***? Sorry...
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I prefer pinky.
    Allows me more finger/fret access without removing the slide.
    My problem has always been finding a slide that fits.
    Small hands, you know!
    What I use now is a small, old medicine bottle that was given to me by a friend or a small steel slide (small is all in perspective) that has rusted inside, allowing my finger to grip it when not using it, so it dosn't slide around on my finger.
    I probably have about 6 or 7 different slides sittin' in a drawer that I've tried over the years and I only use the 2. That's not counting the ones I've given away.

Odds are, you'll find your preference the more you play.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

I've only palyed a little slide, but I'd love to devote the time to it once I am comfortable playing the guitar in general.

When I've tried, I've used the slide on my pinky mainly to have use of the other fingers as Dauntless sez.

All of my slides are a bit to big for my pinky, however.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a steel slide that my father cut from a kinda large piece of piping, and I use it mostly on my ring finger, although if we had some smaller pipe I would make a smaller one for my pinkie, why should I give a bunch of already rich guys $20 for something I can make myself?
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

i use my pinkie (to leave more fingers for fingering...when i get to that level) and use a glass dunlop 202 and a mudslide that is ceramic and thicker than glass but smaller in diameter...that is small enough that it does not go over my second knuckle on my pinkie and i like it....the dunlop fits over my entire pinkie....

i also have a eric sardinas brass slide that is tapered (one end has a larger diameter than the other) that i like when using a brass slide....
    ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I love the sound of glass but prefer the durability of steel. I also like to use the ring finger or occasionally the pinkie to hold the slide.
    With really large diameter steel slides it's pretty simple to use a tiny bit of adhesive weatherstripping inside to make it fit better. It's compressible and trimmable for a custom fit.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems finding a slide that fits is a common problem. Maybe I should start selling my custom fits....

I have heard that titanium slides sound unreal. I would like to try making one, but the stock is very expensive, and very, very difficult to machine. If I can get some cheap, I will have to try this.

Also, I would like to hear more about fitting over the second knuckle of any given finger. Is there anyone who can comment? I would think if you do this, you would need a shorter length. Otherwise, it would be clumsy and heavy, it seems.