Thread: Knopfler's Guitar on "So Far Away"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Knopfler's Guitar on "So Far Away"

I just had VH1 Classic on for a second. They played the video to Dire Strait's "So Far Away" from the "Brothers in Arms" album. Here's the video on YouTube:

My question is: what guitar is Mark Knopfler playing in that video? It's a dark gray Strat and appears to have a Fender headstock. The pickups appear to be either single coils or soapbars. The thing is that the pickups are in positions where Jazz bass pickups would be. In other words, there seems to be a middle and bridge pickup but no neck. I've never seen a production Fender like that. I know Knopfler's sound is typically the bridge-middle "quack" position. Anybody know?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Must be some kind of custom shop strat? I agree that it looks like the neck has a Fender logo.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

This web site states that it's a Pensa-Suhr R - Custom.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3399

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jba
    This web site states that it's a Pensa-Suhr R - Custom.

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/3399
    Custom synthi guitar. It must have some synthesizer interface capabilities.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.