Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
hummm!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hummm!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default hummm!!!!

So i have a crazy obnoxious hum on my tele. I'm pretty sure its not a grounding issue, but I have shielded the control cavity and put some shielding tape on the underside of the pickguard and it still hums like crazy. Is my only choice to go w/ noiseless pickups? Or would it work as well to go w/ a neck noiseless pickup and a hot rails bridge pickup to get some beefier tones on the bridge?

Post Thanks / Like

The best pedal I own does get rid of hum... from anything..
    I have a tv , cells, wireless connections.. lamps, lights etc etc.. and this kills it all..
    including leaving those noisy pedals on..
    they are silent till needed.
    while not taking away from the sound when needed.

a wonderful item, well worth every dollar...

Boss NS-2
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3589

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSNS2

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your guitar near your computer?
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it the guitar or the amp that picks up the interference from the other electronics? I use three different guitars next to my computer and my amp is probably 10 feet away, but I don't have any interference.

Tim, are you definitely sure it's the guitar? I had a 15W Fender amp that would be effected by just about anything electrical that was nearby.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

You should definitely read through THIS THREAD....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm that thread didn't come to a conclusion?

Robert... How did you get your tele to quit humming?

Post Thanks / Like

yes what was the solution!!

i took everything off and checked all the connections and grounds...don't have a meter so i didn't do that, but everything looked good to me and i didn't see signs of a ground loop

i have ordered a new 6 saddle bridge to replace my 3 saddle for intunation so i have some time to work on it while the bridge is en route, but i really wanna get this fixed as soon as i can

i'm thinking i might as well go ahead and order some fender noiseless pups or the dimarzio vintage t's...i think it might be a cool sound for what i'm doing to have a noiseless in the neck and a hot rails in the bridge...would the hot rails be as quiet as the noiseless pups?

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vroom - Do you have any fluorescent lights on in the room, or even in the house? They can contribute a lot to hum/noise.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadman
    Hey Vroom - Do you have any fluorescent lights on in the room, or even in the house? They can contribute a lot to hum/noise.
    i live in a dorm room so theres bound to be fluorescent light somewhere around here...would that really make that much of a difference?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I took mine to a guitar tech and had him rewire it from scratch...

It works like a charm now.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    i live in a dorm room so theres bound to be fluorescent light somewhere around here...would that really make that much of a difference?
    In some cases, yes. I don't remember exactly what it is about them but fluorescents are the source of a lot of electrical interference, not just in guitars/amps. Unfortunately, if that is the problem I don't know the solution. Maybe next time you're visiting someone off campus you could bring your gear and try it there.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadman
    In some cases, yes. I don't remember exactly what it is about them but fluorescents are the source of a lot of electrical interference, not just in guitars/amps. Unfortunately, if that is the problem I don't know the solution. Maybe next time you're visiting someone off campus you could bring your gear and try it there.
    Boss NS-2... it removes everything...

Post Thanks / Like

Unshielded dimmers play havoc with singles too.

Post Thanks / Like

I was off searching for NS-2 demos..
    to try to help out with what may cure your problem..

this guy has some good videos on Humm..
    power supplies.. different everyone of them..
    Also compares a NS-2 to ISP noisegate
    Watch all his noise videos..
    pretty good..

ok..I'll be silent now..

Edit: never asked..but is this your only electric? or are others silent?
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; October 14th, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just turned everything in my room off including my computer and all the lights and it still hummed like crazy. Then i went and got my suite mate's ibanez with 2 humbuckers and it was pretty quiet. It's definitely something with the guitar. I took the control plate of and rechecked all of the grounding and wiring...took the output jack out and check the wiring. Then i took the bridge off sense i have a 6 saddle bridge in the mail and the ground to the bridge and to the pickups are all solid. It's just got to be these stupid single coil pickups.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and the ns-2 is a cool deal, but it bugs me how it fades in on the first strike, and it doesn't kill buzz while you're playing either if i remember correctly...could be wrong about that though

i just want my guitar to be quiet! haha

Post Thanks / Like

These are long-known issues with singles. Have you tried some new Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pups.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    I just turned everything in my room off including my computer and all the lights and it still hummed like crazy. Then i went and got my suite mate's ibanez with 2 humbuckers and it was pretty quiet. It's definitely something with the guitar.
    You're comparing apples and oranges. Humbuckers do exactly that: buck hum. Single coils (with the exception of noiseless ones, most of which have a dummy coil to buck hum whilst maintaining the single coil sound) do not. Find someone who has a single coil-equipped guitar and try it. Shielding will help, but never totally eliminate hum. In a dorm, there's always going to be some electro-magnetic interference from fluorescents, computers, T.V.s, your buddy's neon Budweiser sign, etc.

Does it hum as bad with the switch in the middle position? Most Teles are humbucking in that position. If it still hums just as badly in that position, you most likely have a wiring issue.

If it does turn out to be plain single coil hum and you want to go noiseless, check out the Dimarzio Area 58 and 61. They sound very sweet. Edit: When I added this paragraph I didn't stop to think that you have a Tele. These are Strat pups. Doh!
    Last edited by marnold; October 15th, 2007 at 03:14 PM.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that hasn't been addressed so far is your cable. Make sure you have a high quality instrument cable then plug just the guitar and cable into the amph and see what happens.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast