Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Decision Time! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decision Time!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt - "Dark Presence" Yeah, that's what it is . . . !!

Really, if they had amps like the Vox ADxxVT back when I started out, it's very likely that things in my guitar-playing world would have evolved very differently!!

You are going to LOVE that amp!! Look forward to reading a post or two after you get "dialed in" with it!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nelskie, I bow my head for your comments. Thank you sir!

Matt, I think you'll have fun with it. It is quite loud too, so I don't think you'll have any problems with your drummer.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Next time at practice, try placing the amp on a chair and leaning it back, to where the speaker points slightly upwards. It'll be like you found "11."
    Good advice Katastrophe. I have an Ultimate amp stand, and it seems to make quite a bit of difference with my Peavey Classic 50/410.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever amph you get, make sure it gives you screaming solos.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it arrived today. And I'm impressed- not only with the sounds of it, but the size of it, and how loud it is! I should have no problem with the drummer after all. I've turned down the power rating to about 15W so I can crank it, as it sounded muffled when it was on 50W with the volumes all low. Another thing I've noticed is that after about 15-20 mins of playing, the sound quality suddenly improved (and got louder for some reason). Is this due to the tube warming up?

At the moment, I'm trying to get my head around the three channel thing, because I need at least three generally- clean, light dist and heavy dist. suppose I need to read the manual. I like all of the amp models really, and all of the effects. But if I'm going to make use of the three channels, I'm probably going to need external stompboxes for effects, as the bypass switch on the footpedal is comprimised. Ah well

Anyway, I'm going to fiddle with it.

regards

Matt
    Guitars: Squier '51, Fender Classic Player's 60s Strat, Epiphone Dot, Ibanez SA260FM (Bareknuckle Nailbomb/Trilogy Suite p'ups)

Pedals: Fender Pt100, Tech21 Double Drive, BYOC Mighty Mouse, EHX Stereo Pulsar, Boss DD-20

Amp: Blackstar HT-20 Studio, Fender Blues Jr

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Glad to hear you like it so far. Not sure what the volume increase was, since the tube should be pretty much fully warmed up in a minute or two.

Re: using three channels, try setting up the footswitch for Manual Mode on the #2 switch, per bottom of page 16 in the owner's manual. Set up your two preset channels, storing the program settings, then switch to manual mode and adjust settings for your third "program". Now, when you stomp on switch #2, you'll go back and forth between the channels sets and the manual settings--essentially the same as having 3 preset channels. It's just that the manual settings aren't stored in memory.

You may find a bunch of the stuff on my Valvetronix webpage useful, particularly as a new ADxxVT owner. Included are top panel images for all of the factory model presets (including the effects settings), graphics files for making your own Top Panel images, spreadsheet templates for storing program settings in tabular form, and more. Check it out!

Re: your three target tones, here are a few things to try--

It's tough to beat the Boutique Cl and the Black 2x12 models for clean tones. For some light-to-medium distortion, I like to dial up the gain and volume on the Tweed 4x10, AC30TB or UK 70's models for that, or use an overdrive pedal like the Digitech Tone Driver or Bad Monkey with the cleaner models. For heavier distortion, the whole right side of the amp model dial is your friend, with the gain setting at least halfway up. So fool around and see what strikes your fancy.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; March 7th, 2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Adding more info....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

cheers Voodoo, very helpful indeed I'll feedback more after another play with it
    Guitars: Squier '51, Fender Classic Player's 60s Strat, Epiphone Dot, Ibanez SA260FM (Bareknuckle Nailbomb/Trilogy Suite p'ups)

Pedals: Fender Pt100, Tech21 Double Drive, BYOC Mighty Mouse, EHX Stereo Pulsar, Boss DD-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    cheers Voodoo, very helpful indeed I'll feedback more after another play with it
    feedback...i get it...a funny amp joke!

ww : )
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    feedback...i get it...a funny amp joke!

ww : )
    I knew I should gotten the AD50VT!! With this AD30VT, I get no funny amph jokes....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

funny, never intended it to be a joke!

What ive decided to do after some playing around is have CH1 as clean (SRV clean ) and CH2 as light dist. Then use my bad monkey to add to it for more distortion if needed. Then i can use the second button on the footswitch to add an effect like delay or reverb (as I use them alot). I really love the default rotary speaker effect

Alternatively, I could have CH1 clean, CH2 light, manual heavy and use my zoom GFX-1 as a multi effects board. Might be easier. I'll have to tinker around more. Either way, for recording, I'll do each layer seperatley just using the amp. Its just the live problem :P

regards

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

funny, never intended it to be a joke!
    those are the best kind!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

What ive decided to do after some playing around is have CH1 as clean (SRV clean ) ....
    From what I've read, SRV often used Fender blackface amps as well as a Dumble Steel String Singer head for clean tones. So the Black 2x12 and Boutique CL models should zero in on that tone pretty well for ya!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Matt – When you connect your Zoom GFX-1 to your new Vox amp, let me know if you get any noise from your strings. When I connect my Digitech to my AD30VT, my strings make a strange noise. When I connect my Digitech to my Peavey 40 watt solid-state amp I get no noise from the stings. I think it has something to do with connecting a digital processor into another digital processor. I am curious to your testing results.

Pedals work fine with the AD30VT.

VooDoo - Have you experienced this phenomenal with your Vox amp?
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant say Ive notcied any stange noises. But the amp doesnt seem to like the pedal too much, the effects sound pretty harsh and metalic. Looks like I'm gonna have to get seperate stompboxes, but that can wait.

I'm trying to find a definitive destortion I like- the Black212 is great for cleans and I love it, but its a toss between UK modern and US highgain for the distortions.

Heres a sound clip with me just messing around. Not heavy, something Ive been toying with for ages, but struggling to fit into a song. The backing is very similar to a song on Pulp fiction that Ive never found the name of.

p.s, I havnt got the sound levels quite right for the line in, but hey
    Last edited by Matt; March 19th, 2006 at 07:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That was really cool Matt, I thought it was more Twin Peaks than Pulp Fiction if you ask me
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Matt – I believe there is a post on this forum that mentions the fact that the Blackface modeler does not like pedals.

Also do a search at

http://www.patchtronix.com/modules.p...BB2&file=index

Or

http://www.valvetronix.net/

which is VooDoo’s webpage.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Tim, but it seems that most the channels tend not to like the Zoom. I'll try my friends Boss DD-6 tomorrow and see if it likes that any better.

After some more messing around, here's me trying to play metal for the first time. Now, I'm not hugely fond of this style of music, so I'm just messing around for the hell of it

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like anything that came out of my Vox with my ZOOM 505II. Of course, with the effects on the amp itself I really don't need it. The Vox seems to do well with my Behringer OD, though.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I think running your Zoom 505II with your Vox is resulting in a "double digital whammy" with the Vox. Putting a digitally-reproduced signal on top of a digitally-reproduced signal often times causes one or the other to get "fussy".
    Granted, those are laymen's terms, but when I run my own Zoom G2 pedal through my Valve Jr., or my Classic 30 (both tube amps), the tonal results are positively excellent. I haven't tried the G2 with my Cyber Twin, which is hybrid amp much like the Vox, but probably won't, either, because the tones and effects it has are equal, or superior to the Zoom's. Still, the G2 is a very versatile pedal, and for less than $100 bones, it does a ton of things very well. Haven't had the opportunity to try it with a solid-state amp as of yet. Which speaking of, maybe I need to buy one . . . ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12