Thread: Travel guitar recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Travel guitar recommendations?

Anyone have an recommendations or experience with acoustic or electric travel guitars (e.g. Traveler, Martin Backpacker, etc.)? I've been doing quite a bit of travel for work lately and miss being able to practice during the week. I don't feel comfortable taking my existing guitars on a plane.

Thanks.

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Amps: Vox AD50VT, Fender Blues Jr.
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scorona
    Anyone have an recommendations or experience with acoustic or electric travel guitars
    Thanks.
    Scorona, check out the cool electric travel guitar on this thread, about halfway down the page:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4430&page=3

That little Fender amp is smaller than a 6 pack--good sound, and not too loud for motel room use.

A good friend took an acoustic Martin travel guitar on his trek along the Appalachian Trail. Although he didn't make it all the way to the north end, he did have music all the way! He had nothing but good things to say about it.

Dugly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scorona
    Anyone have an recommendations or experience with acoustic or electric travel guitars (e.g. Traveler, Martin Backpacker, etc.)? I've been doing quite a bit of travel for work lately and miss being able to practice during the week. I don't feel comfortable taking my existing guitars on a plane.

Thanks.
    I've played the Washburn Rover, the little Martin and Baby Taylor in stores and came away very impressed. Not a D-18 by any means but pretty nice little guitars. The Martin back packer sounds like a uke to me, but for motel practicing would be fine.

For what it's worth, I've flown many times with a guitar. Always checked it and never had a problem. Both pre and post 9-11. Now, I'd be leary about checking a good guitar, like your fender fat strat or taylor. A cheap, but good sounding beater in a really good case, I'd have no problems with checking as regular luggage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evenkeel
    For what it's worth, I've flown many times with a guitar. Always checked it and never had a problem. Both pre and post 9-11. Now, I'd be leary about checking a good guitar, like your fender fat strat or taylor. A cheap, but good sounding beater in a really good case, I'd have no problems with checking as regular luggage.
    One of mine (LP-SL) went missing on a US Air flight last year. Return flight from NYC. They bought me a new one... but not quite the same!

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got a Backpacker and it sounds pretty good. Although I think I has more of a Banjo sound it it, I bring it anytime I go on vacation or on a road trip when I cant bring my full sized guitar.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The Backpacker sure is convenient. The action on the one I have access to is very high compared to my full acoustic. If it were mine, I would want to work on that. But is sure is nice to have to plunk on and easy to travel with.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice. I tried a Martin Backpacker at my local guitar shop yesterday. I was a little disappointed in that it felt kinda clumsy, difficult to balance in my lap and play. I tried a baby taylor and a little martin as well, both felt and sounded great, played very nicely. I've also read good things about the Washburn Rover. Hope to try one of those out next.

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really rely on a strap when I play the backpacker. Balancing the little guitar in you lap is really tough. Once you get used to playing with it resting on the strap and not your lap, it gets easier. Definately a compromise though for its "packability".
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You most definitly have to have a strap for the backpacker. And the whole secret to playing it is that you have to rest your forearm on the body
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Scorona,

I've been traveling for my work for the past 10 years or so. I've tried a lot of the travel guitars.

The one that I like the best right now is the Traveler Speedster. It plays great and easily fits in the overhead luggage for most airlines. Here is a link to the one that I bought:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traveler...03-i1150119.gc

I also bought a pocket sized practice amp and headphones to go with it. I bought the Korg PX4D. Here is a link to it.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPX4D

The combination of these two items is great. I can put on the headphones and jam away without bothering anyone.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jim, thanks for the recommendation. Just curious, did you try some of the other Traveler models before you settled on the Speedster?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer
    Scorona,

I've been traveling for my work for the past 10 years or so. I've tried a lot of the travel guitars.

The one that I like the best right now is the Traveler Speedster. It plays great and easily fits in the overhead luggage for most airlines. Here is a link to the one that I bought:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traveler...03-i1150119.gc

I also bought a pocket sized practice amp and headphones to go with it. I bought the Korg PX4D. Here is a link to it.
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPX4D

The combination of these two items is great. I can put on the headphones and jam away without bothering anyone.

-- Jim
    That Speedster looks really cool. I wonder how the Korg unit compares with the Pocket Pod. They both look cool.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get a chance to try some of the other Traveler guitar models. This newer model called the "Escape EG1" looks like a great one. That's the one I would look at if I were buying a new one today. It looks like a small Les Paul shaped guitar. A guy named John Carruthers helped design it. He is a guitar builder in L.A. I used to visit his shop when I lived there many years ago and he makes fantastic guitars.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718