Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Opinions sought....pups for my Epi LP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions sought....pups for my Epi LP

Post Thanks / Like

Default Opinions sought....pups for my Epi LP

As much as I love my new Epi Elitist LP Standard, the stock pickups are pretty bland and I'm strongly considering replacing them. Initially, I was leaning toward the Seymour Duncan "Hot Rodded Humbucker" set with the SH-4 JB bridge and SH-2 Jazz neck pups, but I've heard some mixed things about that set. Nelskie has recommended the SD '59 for the neck and Pearly Gates model at the bridge. For what I like to play (blues & classic rock), that may be a great combo. SuperSwede likes the classic PAF-type pups, too.

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw it open for a few more e-pinions. The more, the merrier! Geez, maybe I ought to take a poll.....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the SH-1 59 Blues set Duncan sells http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ies?sku=300022 and put them into a 335 clone hoping to improve the sound alot over the stock muddy pickups... mind you I am a novice at this and tone is still something I am searching for... Although these pickups have a much cleaner sound over the stockers and warmer then a set of carvins(I think the 22 series) I had in a lp copy I am still not satisfied with the sounds they produce..This could also be due to buying the set and not singles which I think I read someplace makes a difference.. these are also 2 wire pickups not the 4 wire ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...rts?sku=300011 ) .. If there is that much difference in the designs I wish I knew it before buying the set.. I am still in a search for a warmer neck pickup.. again Im new at this so it could just be me... my next venture if at all will be towards the gibson 57 pickups... seeing thats the sound I really wanted anyway...
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; March 4th, 2006 at 11:04 AM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Learn more about Seymour Duncan pick ups here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the combo Nelski recommended.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Again I recommend, as Nelskie and Spud pointed out to you, on the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates bridge and the Duncan '59 on the neck. As per your musical interest in classic rock and blues this pup combination will please you tremendously I believe. While I do not have the '59 in the neck on my Les Paul Studio I know Nelskie's recommendation is right on the money. I do have the Duncan Pearly Gates bridge pup and for any Les Paul I would think it a requirement! My neck pickup on the Gibby is the stock Gibson PAF pickup which they installed on Les Paul Studios during the mid '80s. That pickup also produces tasty tones.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the '59.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Yo Voodoo - What you might not be aware of is that both of these pickups sound amazing clean. Sure, you can bust stuff out like a nasty dog all day with both the Pearly Gates and the '59. But when you stroke them softly, they purr like kittens. Mrrreeeyyyyooowww!
    Last edited by Nelskie; March 5th, 2006 at 11:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the PG-bridge/'59-neck combo sure is getting a lot of love here! Looks like that may be the way I should go.

Most of the big online music emporia seem to have the same pricing on these SD pups. Anybody know any places that offer them a bit cheaper? I looked on eBay, and pretty much all the new pups were "buy it now" with the same pricing as everybody else....
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; March 5th, 2006 at 01:43 PM.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Done did the deed! Ordered the two pups from Musiciansfriend.com. I looked at a bunch of places online, and everybody had 'em at the same price. (I think the internet is turning out to be a great tool for price-fixing! ) Decided to go with the black & creme "zebra" color.

Now I gotta start studying up on how to install 'em. Seymour has videos posted on his site, so should hopefully be pretty straightforward....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. That will look sweet in your rig.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Done did the deed! Ordered the two pups from Musiciansfriend.com. I looked at a bunch of places online, and everybody had 'em at the same price. (I think the internet is turning out to be a great tool for price-fixing! ) Decided to go with the black & creme "zebra" color.

Now I gotta start studying up on how to install 'em. Seymour has videos posted on his site, so should hopefully be pretty straightforward....
    So, the deal's gone down, eh? Congrats man, I think you'll like that setup.

While you're waiting for them to arrive, bop on down to your local Radio Shack and pick up a small soldering gun and some resin core solder. You want the thin solder. Also get some 22ga. wire to practice with. Clip the wire, strip two pieces, and then tin them and solder them together. When you get a nice, clean, tight joint, you're ready to go.

Here's a link that might be helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Rob. How did you know that I've never soldered anything in my life? Well, you're never to old to learn, eh? I'll check out that link.

BTW, are those "cold heat" soldering guns I've seen advertised any good? I'm always skeptical of those TV ads....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

VooDoo – May I add one more piece of information on soldering? If you have any alligator clips lying around, I would like to HIGHLY recommend that you clip the alligator clip on to each wire before you solder. The clip will act as a heat sink and not allow the plastic to melt on the wire. Normally individuals new to soldering apply to much heat and also longer than needed. This is due to not having a skill in soldering techniques. This skill will come with time.
    Guitars:

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Zebra color scheme is THE ONLY WAY TO GO for that rippin rock and roll look and vibe.

Wiring them is easy. The hardest part is cutting back the rubber sleeve on the wires without damaging the leads. Twist up the green wire and the outer bare wire and solder those together before grounding them to the top of your volume pots. Then solder together the white and red leads (I believe its that pair on the Duncans...other brands it's black and white)...tape those so they don't come in contact with anything...and then solder the black wire to the hot end of the volume pot which is the far left lug (or right lug depending on how the pot was soldered to ground). Easy.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Zebra color scheme is THE ONLY WAY TO GO for that rippin rock and roll look and vibe.
    Yep, I thought so, too!

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Wiring them is easy....
    Well, that may be true. But, after opening the back of my LP last night and looking at the pots, I decided that it may not the best idea for me to learn soldering on this particular job! It's pretty "busy" and cramped down in there, so I think I'll enlist the services of an experienced solderer. Fortunately, we have several where I work and I'm sure one of them would help me out. And I'll look over his shoulder throughout the procedure so that I learn something, too.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

VooDoo - Great thinking on your part. The LPs are very cramped for any kind of work. Even the wires are tuff to install though the small cavities. I think it will be worth your trouble to have an experienced solderer (sp?) perform the work.

Being that I am ham radio hobbyist, soldering is a skill. I still have problems doing some projects. I have been known to melt the inside of a pot trying to solder the grounds wires to it.

As Tone described, stripping the covering without breaking any strains of wire is important. It becomes the weakest link of the wire and the solder joint.
    Guitars:

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!

Ended up taking my Epi LP to a small local guitar shop, after hearing that they would do this pickup installation for a mere $20. Though we have experienced solderers here where I work, they aren't guitarists who could then adjust the pickups for sound. So, for $20, I decided to let a pro do it.

Anyway, just got the guitar back this morning (a friend here at work who lives right near the shop picked it up for me last night), and she sure LOOKS HOT with those zebra pups!! Can't hardly wait to get home tonight and see if she sounds as good as she looks!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Have a bottle of wine with her and see if she comes up with any screaming solos.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    and she sure LOOKS HOT with those zebra pups!! Can't hardly wait to get home tonight and see if she sounds as good as she looks!!
    pics....we need pics! (if you don't have a digital camera you can send it to me and i'll take some pics of it for you!...just to help out of course )
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast