Thread: EMG: Active or Non Active that is the question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default EMG: Active or Non Active that is the question.

Thinking about doing some mod work on my Godin LX and I'll start by changing the pups the selector switch and added a new tone control.

Now if a battery fits ( I'm at work ) should I go go with active pickups I want a real growling geetar but not a screamer since I don't play much lead.

so here is what i was thinking of doing.

EMG-81 (Bridge)
    EMG-85 (Neck)

change the tone control to a EMG-EXG and add a EMG PI-2 to either the neck postion or maybe the middle postion on the 3 way.

Gonna stick with all EMG just for fun but my question is should I even consider active ??

I am hoping to take advantage of the Godin's amazing sound and simply push it to the next level with out making it muddy ( unless I want it )

so please rate my setup and tell me anything I can do to change this or make it even better..

Thanks
    I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    1993 USA Fender Strat Plus
    200? Michael Kelly Hybrid
    2002 Gretsch G3100 Historical Series
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Boss ME-20 Multi Effect Pedal
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    Studiophile AV40 (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider is that a lot of hard rock/metal players like the EMG 81 for lead. I've played one before and found the razor sharp high end kind of grating. YMMV.

If I were to build my dream axe and had two humbucking pickup sized openings to work with I'd probably go with the EMG-H in the neck and the EMG HA in the bridge.

The 'H and 'HA are EQed to sound like the S and the SA respectively, but are in humbucker-sized housings. To round things out I'd put in the SPC control to get humbucker sounds and the EXG to get cleaner sounds. The phase switch would be a good idea as well.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Jampy
    Thinking about doing some mod work on my Godin LX and I'll start by changing the pups the selector switch and added a new tone control.

Now if a battery fits ( I'm at work ) should I go go with active pickups I want a real growling geetar but not a screamer since I don't play much lead.

so here is what i was thinking of doing.

EMG-81 (Bridge)
    EMG-85 (Neck)

change the tone control to a EMG-EXG and add a EMG PI-2 to either the neck postion or maybe the middle postion on the 3 way.

Gonna stick with all EMG just for fun but my question is should I even consider active ??

I am hoping to take advantage of the Godin's amazing sound and simply push it to the next level with out making it muddy ( unless I want it )

so please rate my setup and tell me anything I can do to change this or make it even better..

Thanks
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the H and the HA what kinda worried me was that were single coil in a humbuker shell, I am looking for a true humbucker sound ( at least in theory )

also I am limited in I have only 1 volume and 1 tone at this time I do not know if I could add a third.

but I like your thinking, just keep in mind I am not going after a strat like sound as I already have one. I want a jazzy les paul in rythym and a muddy to screamer in lead..

so would you still go with the H series ??
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at the H and the HA what kinda worried me was that were single coil in a humbuker shell, I am looking for a true humbucker sound ( at least in theory )

also I am limited in I have only 1 volume and 1 tone at this time I do not know if I could add a third.

but I like your thinking, just keep in mind I am not going after a strat like sound as I already have one. I want a jazzy les paul in rythym and a muddy to screamer in lead..

so would you still go with the H series ??
    Having said that, you might think about dual 85s with the EXG. The great thing about the SPC is that it gives the single coil sounding EMGs (S/SA/H/HA) a humbucking sound. Having owned a strat with EMG-SAs and and SPC, it does a credible job of emulating the humbucking sound, but my strat didn't do the jazzy Les Paul rhythm. The '81 is not muddy at all and that top end will take your head off with the right amp/speaker combination. Then again, it may work fine for you, it is hard to say.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Yah, dual 85's may be the way to go, if I don't like it changing EMG's is a snap.

thanks
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

I have 81-60 in all mahogany lp copy and they sound like a good normal dual humbucking guitar but the EXG doesn't work very well played dirty. Playing clean you can dial it til you hit a sweet spot. There it's works very well.

I took the EXG off.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

I have played that EMG combination for a year approx.
    I loved it and I could play every style with it.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I have played that EMG combination for a year approx.
    I loved it and I could play every style with it.
    what combination are you referring to ??
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

what combination are you referring to ??
    81 Bridge
    85 Neck
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I am still leaning that way myself ..

Now to rustle up the funds
    -- Jimi Hendrix

Musical Equipment
    Crate BV60 Combo
    Recording Equipment
    Mac G5 2.3 Duo Core
    160 & 500 GB Drives
    4.5 GB Ram
    iControl (M-Audio)
    TonePort UX2
    Logic Studio 8

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I am still leaning that way myself ..

Now to rustle up the funds
    you beat animals for money?
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagrangeCalvert
    you beat animals for money?
    Who doesn't?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like throwing another wrench in the works 2 months later.

I replaced the el cheapo humbuckers in my Avion LP copy with Washburn badged EMG Select pups...mainly because the price was right....guy sold them to me for 20 bucks shipping included....of course being passive they do not produce that Zakk Wylde sound...but the crunch is really sweet...still towards the jazzy end...but no where near as jazzy as the stock hums that were in it and the black looks really great on the red/gold burst on this guitar.