Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Proco Rat vs. Rat 2

Thread: Proco Rat vs. Rat 2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Proco Rat vs. Rat 2

What's the difference between them.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

The "2".

Sorry, couldn't help myself, Tone.

My understanding is that the Rat 2's circuit is the same as the original Rat and that the changes were of a cosmetic nature (nicer casing, glow-in-the-dark graphics, on/off LED).
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd always heard that the original sounds way different than the 2 (which I have). There was something different in he circuitry. I'll look around and see if I can get you a definitive answer.

What I can say is that my Rat 2 doesn't sound as good as the originals that I've heard in the past but that is all solvable with a simple mod. You can find used 2s pretty reasonably priced still. Then do the mod and shazam you're ready to rock.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I'd always heard that the original sounds way different than the 2 (which I have). There was something different in he circuitry. I'll look around and see if I can get you a definitive answer.
    I'll be interested to read what you come up with, Spuds. I was just going by what I'd read about the evolution of the Rat on the ProCo website. But it's certainly possible that other changes were made that they don't mention, especially if they were of the "cost-cutting" variety with negative tonal impact....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I´ve heard that the latest version of the Rat 2 (the one with a led) sounds less good than the first Rat 2 without led (the led is in the letter A). I havent had the chance of trying the later Rat 2 myself so I cannot confirm this...

I have tried both the older more wide Rat and the first version of the Rat 2, and I have to agree that the original rat doesnt sound exactly the same as the Rat 2. The new rats also have true bypass.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Great info brothers thank you.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

This site may be of help for you..

http://www.happybob.com/rstrand/rat/rat_versions.htm

All I know..is I have the Vintage Version which suppose to be original circuit copy.. It sounds different and better than a clone version in a digitech pedal.. and it's not going anyplace..
    I actually have found more sounds in it than any of the other pedals I mess with.. it could replace the MUFF.. and has replaced a B.K.Butler.. it's amazing how many different sounds you can get from it.. clean to distorted.. I keep messing with it.. no wonder it's been around so long..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

To my ears, there's no contest. My 1990-ish RAT (big steel box, no led) sounds far better than a RAT II I bought a couple of years ago. I sold the RAT II on. The old RAT goes from a light OD to fuzz territory and, most importantly, cleans up from the guitar's volume knob. The RAT II was stiff and fizzy, the distortion character didn't cover the range of the old one, and it didn't clean up so well.

That link's useful but I'd say the mark 2 RAT casing was aluminium with a steel inner panel.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience