Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Even HIM?!?!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even HIM?!?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Even HIM?!?!?

So you still haven't found that PERFECT amp?? Well, you're in good company. While reading THIS article about Eric Clapton's new autobiography (which, BTW, sounds VERY interesting), I came across this interview exchange:

"...I still don't feel like I've got it right. I'm still working on my sound."

What? Eric Clapton is still working on hitting the right notes?

"Yeah," he replies, his laugh filling the room. "Still trying to get the right amp."

So don't feel bad, if you're still looking/listening, too. He's been at it for about 45 years! GAS....it's for a lifetime!!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Voo he HAD his sound back in the 60s with John Mayall!!! He needs to revisit those tones.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I loved that Beano Marshall combo/LP tone, too. I gotta admit, I'm not all that crazy about the heavily mid-boosted Strat tone he uses so much now.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That would be typical of a perfectionist such as Clapton to say.

My wife and my friends say Im a great guitar player but yet I still think I suck.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

My self, a Lp and a tube amp is the sound I love.
    Go's together like peas & carrots.
    Guitar/ Ibanez GAX 70, Squier standard Strat, Epi plus top Honey Burst
    Amps/ Epiphone Blues Custom 30, Fender XP Vibro Champ 5 Watt tube Amp
    Randall RX 15
    Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

I almost wish Eric had Buddy's tone. Or my tone. Or yours. I also don't like that midrangy muddy boost sound he's getting these days. I wish he'd plug into an old Super and leave the treble alone on the amp and just freakin' play it the way a Fender is supposed to sound. Eric I'm taking away your cane rods if you keep this up. No more fishing for you until you bring us back home to Beano at least!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    My wife and my friends say Im a great guitar player but yet I still think I suck.
    That's one of the funny things about being a guitar player. Compared to some people, you are a great guitarist. And compared to some others, you suck. And with very few exceptions, that never changes, even though your relative position on the great-to-suck continuum moves around (hopefully toward great and away from suck, over time). I guess that's pretty much true with any skill-based endeavor....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I think this tone-chasing is quite typical of great guitarists. For every B.B. King who totes Lucille and a Fender combo to every gig, you'll also have the likes of George Lynch. If you ask what is set up is, you have to ask which album you're talking about and maybe even which tour in support of that album. Sometimes they change because of a new endorsement deal. Most of the time they change because the tone they hear in their head proves to be elusive.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey DVM - the new Clapton autobiography is very good. Just finished reading (er, I mean listening to) it while on the road this week. Interesting to learn about the life of my guitar hero from his perspective.

Guitars: 2001 Fender Fat Strat (MiM), Epi Les Paul Plus Top, 2004 Taylor 310ce, Washburn Rover
    Amps: Vox AD50VT, Fender Blues Jr.
    Pedals/Gear: DVM's ZYS, Fulltone OCD, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q, Boss TU-2, Digitech JamMan, Presonus TubePre, Boss BR-600

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Voo he HAD his sound back in the 60s with John Mayall!!! He needs to revisit those tones.
    +1

When he was playing wiht JM his sound was perfect.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Yeah, I loved that Beano Marshall combo/LP tone, too. I gotta admit, I'm not all that crazy about the heavily mid-boosted Strat tone he uses so much now.
    Yep, his strat doesn't actually sound like a strat - it's a kinda generic tone. I'd love to hear him play a classic strat or an LP again. I love his unplugged album becuase it's just his raw talent with no 'gear' issues. He's still amazing though whatever he plays!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

+2 for you Tone. 1 for reminding me how awesome EC's sound is on the Bluesbreakers album, 1 for the Charlie Brown avatar. Halloween 1991 I dressed as Charlie Brown in his ghost costume. I even went so far as to tape a picture of Charlie Brown on top of my license picture. When I got to the bar my friends and I were going to, the bouncer laughed so hard at the ID that he said "dude, I don't care if you're 21 or not, you're in." Awesome avatar!
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Yep, his strat doesn't actually sound like a strat - it's a kinda generic tone. I'd love to hear him play a classic strat or an LP again. I love his unplugged album becuase it's just his raw talent with no 'gear' issues. He's still amazing though whatever he plays!
    Hmm, interesting. The unplugged disc was the first one I really like of E.C.'s. Maybe that is the reason. I have never listened to his stuff before the mid-70's stuff that was on the radio when I started listening more to rock music. I was trying to stay away from drugs as a kid and did not like the "Cocaine" number that was so popular at all, and my cousin is named Sally and hates the other song I was aware of at the time. Layla was ok, but didn't hook me. So I got turned off by him then and never really went back much. I have to go listen to the older stuff and see what I think. Right now, the only other (than the un-plugged) Clapton album I'll reach for is the one with B.B. King. It is interesting he is still looking for his sound. Being a strat player now, I would like to hear a more unadulterated strat tone from him. I love watching his techniques. (I was given an instructional disc based mostly on his Unplugged release).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    +2 for you Tone. 1 for reminding me how awesome EC's sound is on the Bluesbreakers album, 1 for the Charlie Brown avatar. Halloween 1991 I dressed as Charlie Brown in his ghost costume. I even went so far as to tape a picture of Charlie Brown on top of my license picture. When I got to the bar my friends and I were going to, the bouncer laughed so hard at the ID that he said "dude, I don't care if you're 21 or not, you're in." Awesome avatar!
    Thanks RoG. I have a close connection with good ole Charlie Brown and I always loved that costume. Loved your story too!

Jimi - I owe a Fret member here a great thanks for reintroducing me to the Beano album. I wholeheartedly agree along with you and To ME that is Eric's best sounding period...that and with Cream.
    Last edited by Tone2TheBone; October 25th, 2007 at 10:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

To ME that is Eric's best sounding period...that and with Cream.
    Which reminds me...

Q - What do a cup of coffee and Eric Clapton have in common?

A - They both suck without Cream

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, most of us like our coffee black anyway, don't we?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

A rose by any other name is still a rose

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    That's one of the funny things about being a guitar player. Compared to some people, you are a great guitarist. And compared to some others, you suck. And with very few exceptions, that never changes, even though your relative position on the great-to-suck continuum moves around (hopefully toward great and away from suck, over time). I guess that's pretty much true with any skill-based endeavor....
    Thats the way I look at it.

Its like when I go to any music store to waste a few hours playing many different guitars ude:

I love it when there are people in there that are on a level less than mine and I sound like an absolute guitar god, but then its the opposite when theres that one guy in there tearing it up making me sound like a total n00b
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Which reminds me...

Q - What do a cup of coffee and Eric Clapton have in common?

A - They both suck without Cream

Though I think the joke was hilarious, my personal favorite period for EC is by far Derek & the Dominos. After that it's Bluesbreakers then Cream. I don't like a large portion of his solo catalog.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast