Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What's Your Skill Level - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Skill Level

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Yep, would love to find a way to dedicate serious time to playing guitar and being involved in music - probably one of my few regrets in life - I wish I would have started my pursuit at a young age.
    i started playing in middle school but never took it seriously...played a little in high school then when i finally decided to take it up again (after several years of marriage...now divorced)...a few years ago i had a couple of kids and of course....put the music aside....now my 11 year old son is interested in playing but i don't know enough to teach him properly....wish i would have stuck with it during the early years! Maybe we can learn together!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

If no one is listening I'm great specially if the don't know what they are listening to I can fake it really well

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the best crappy guitarist I know in my house that I'm aware of.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

You too Marnold ?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    ....i'm ready to move somewhere out in the middle of nowhere (spud, there must be some land near you you) and living OFF the grid and growing my own food!!

the rat race can not be won!

ww
    Might be a good idea to get here soon before the rush. I can also help you with your playing and you can teach me how to mix drinks.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Maybe the middle of the upper 1%.:
    Hmm, commented on his, but no thoughts on yours? Nah, can't let you get away with that. Come on, out with it!

I am beginner plus. Been playing regularly a year and 5 months, and electric not quite a year. I can play along on simple strummed rhythms on simple rock oriented songs, keeping decent time and anticipating chord changes pretty well, but would be considered sloppy by anyone more professional than the local guys in a garage. I know the pentatonic scale and its mirror decently, and the blues scale, and can noodle out a solo, though again it is sloppy. I am adding chords as we speak beyond the normal open shapes, can barre ok with simple barre shapes (E shape, A minor shape), and have an ok ear, and can sound out simple melodies on a fret board. learning some about theory, but it seems harder to me on a fretboard than on a piano keyboard where the it is all laid out in linear fashion in black and white. Probably just a mental shift needed there.

I also don't get enough quality practice time, but am working on that. I also am determined, and also can tend to expect a lot sooner rather than later. But I am having a lot of fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Might be a good idea to get here soon before the rush. I can also help you with your playing and you can teach me how to mix drinks.
    my job would be easier...get a good single malt scotch...pour how much you want and don't do anything to it but sip it!!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I've been playing since I was 11 or 12, so that makes it... aaahhhhrgh! almost 30 freakin' years! How can someone who's been playing for 30 freakin' years still suck so bad!

I consider myself beginner to entry-level intermediate. Completely self taught, so I really have no idea why I do what I do, I just noodle until I find something that sounds somewhat "right". I know all the major and minor open chord shapes and can barre major and minor chords up and down the neck. I can hold my own as a rhythm player I think, on electric or acoustic (comes from my bass-player roots I guess). I'd be pretty comfortable sitting in and jammin' in just about any situation.

I can wheedle out a few riffs, but not much that you'd call a "lead" or a "solo". The first song I taught myself was "Wildwood Flower", followed by "Tennessee Flat Top Box". Can read some tab, but can only follow along if I slow the song down to about 1/4 speed or slower Don't really know any scales. Theory - yeah, right

One song that we do, and I think we do it quite well, is Jerry Doucette's "Mamma Let Him Play". A cousin taught me a couple of riffs from this song years ago. We were foolin' around at a practice a few months ago and started jammin' it and the song just came back and flowed from my fingers ude: Sorta Anyway, it rocks and the audience usually can't tell if I'm running it through the blender or not.

BUT...

I'm taking my first lesson Saturday! Should be interesting. Wish me luck :

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 34, I have been playing for just under a year, and have been taking bi-weekly lessons for about nine months. I would classify myself as beginner. I can play all five minor pentatonic patterns and am able to connect them vertically up and down the neck to some degree, though I am having problems transitioning from playing scales into something that sounds like a solo and not just a series of notes. On one of the patterns, I can add the flat 5 (blues), maj 6 (dorian), maj 3, and 9th. I can also play a major scale (ionian). I am also working on being able to change key at a particular location on the neck by changing the pattern rather than moving up or down the neck to a different location. Doing ok with chords - plenty of open chords, barre cords (major, minor, seventh , minor seventh), some 9th chords, I even know A13. I am currently working on triads on the G B and E strings, four part chord voicings (G7, C7, and D7 using strings 2 3 4 and 6 in several positions up and down the neck). I can play some arpeggios as well. I can see that my teacher wants me to understand the instrument rather than just learn to play songs, so I have been focusing on doing what he tells me. I am hopeful that learning songs will come easier as my understanding of the instrument increases. As for songs, I can play White Room, but I am lousy and unoriginal when it comes to the solo part. I can muddle my way through Purple Haze, but it gets too crazy at the end. My rhythm playing and right hand technique need a lot of work, but it isn't something my teacher and I have really focused on just yet. In addition to taking lessons, I grab bits and pieces from Robert's videos, from other videos on YouTube, and from the online lessons from my Line6 Toneport GX.

I am hoping to achieve a level where I could sit in with the band at a wedding, or play ridiculous 80's covers with a band at a bar, party, or reunion.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Well here’s where I am:

Completely self-taught, and know very little theory. Just like T_ross, I can play major, minor and barre chords, but that’s not what I usually like to do. I like to solo / improvise along various tunes and I do it exclusively by ear. By “various tunes” I mean from every guitarists favorite (Hendrix, SRV etc) to traditional music from Balkans (South-Eastern Europe), often playing along, or trying to imitate violin and clarinet pieces. I guess it would be appropriate to say that I am more attracted to the melodic aspect rather than rhythmic.

For the last 6 years, I played only electric guitars (started out on an Ibanez Jumpstart pack in 2001), in my teen years I “messed around” with an acoustic. Hanging around here (The Fret) has taught me a lot. Like Henderson’s phrasing lesson, and I’m not talking about Ed having sex with his girlfriend.

Though I still consider myself a beginner, often somewhat sloppy in playing, I can jam along, probably more contributing with single-line melodic passages than actually leading.
    I don’t know does this make any sense…

All in all, I still suck, and I need to practice much more, just like this guy.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd label myself an "intermediate" player. I have been playing for 7.5 years, electric for 5. I can read tablature but cannot read or write musical notation. The first few years I was strictly rhythm, mostly 12 bar blues and simple 2 or 3 chord songs [a lot of Dylan, Neil Young, CCR, etc] with friends, one of whom is a great player who would solo over what we were playing. Eventually, I started to be able to solo myself. Our friend who did most of the soloing moved to California a few years ago, so now it is just my friend Steve and myself. He plays rhythm and I do the soloing.

For the past year or so, when we play together we haven't really been concentrating on playing "songs" as we used to, but have focused more on developing our improv skills. Our playing now is more along the lines of "pick a key and a style and go" [for example, a slow funk groove in A, or a rambling blues in E, etc]. It really helps develop the ability to listen to what someone else is playing and figuring out your place in the whole piece. I am trying to develop into the kind of player who can be thrown into any improv situation and come up with something relevant to play.

When I practice alone I do often still play actual songs, usually as a way to warm up my hands for an hour or so before I start working on my own stuff. some of the songs I think I play particularly well [ie. chords, riffs, solos and all] are "Jockey Full of Bourbon" and "Rain Dogs" by Tom Waits, "She Said, She Said" by the Beatles, "Train in Vain" by the Clash, and the one that used to be my signature tune, "Having an Average Weekend" [aka Theme to The Kids in the Hall] by Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. I know a ton of other songs [incl most of the Ramones' catalog], but these are the ones I seem to drift back to time and time again.

As far as development of original material, I have yet to write a complete piece, but I have fleshed out a handful of ideas [chord progressions, melodies, etc] that I would like to get around to completing over the next year. ude:
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I like to think that I'm skilled enough to play what I play with conviction and feel, but I'm not skilled enough to play what other players with more knowledge of theory than I have can play. I don't let that bother me.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

By reading the posts in the other sections I would have thought the skill level to be much higher. Either I misjudged you guys or you are two hard on determining your ability, I'm leaning toward the later.

Anyway, it's somewhat comforting to know I am not alone when it comes to my skill level, but I hope there are enough experienced people around to learn from.

Overall, some interesting responses.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I played guitar for 30 of the last 40 years, so you would think I should be better.

I can read music if I do it slowly. I know what chords belong to which key and I can generally find them on the fretboard. I can emulate many songs if I set my mind to it (except for shredding). I am reasonably proficient at figuring out chord progressions to songs armed with the above knowledge. I don't hardly get any time to play; about once or twice a week for a total of a couple of hours is it, so my playing remains mediocre. Here a sample of me playing over a backing track posted here some time ago, and you be the judge:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/improv.mp3

I do make up music from scratch. I can give examples of that but I should leave that for another day.

Post Thanks / Like

Either I misjudged you guys or you are two hard on determining your ability, I'm leaning toward the later.
    Yes, there are some ringers here that are a tad modest.

Post Thanks / Like

I started out playing classical guitar, then drifted into several rock/punk/garage bands before getting into Irish music. I just started playing electric again about a year and a half ago. So I've got a really good knowledge of music theory, and I'm an excellent comper, but my lead chops are kind of down there in Ace Frehley land. Not that that's a bad thing -- a one note guitar solo can really rock if it's a really good note -- but I'd love to get back to the level I was at in my 20s.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

By reading the posts in the other sections I would have thought the skill level to be much higher. Either I misjudged you guys or you are two hard on determining your ability, I'm leaning toward the later.
    Yeah, I think you're right. We have some pretty good players here, but nobody seems to want to admit to it. We're pretty leery of "totem-polling" here at TheFret, I think.

If you've been to Robert's website, you know of his very considerable skills! But you might get a better idea of what some of the other guys can do by poking around in the Member Clips forum and listening to some of the posted clip links there. Listen & judge for yourself.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    If you've been to Robert's website, you know of his very considerable skills!
    And since Robert labeled himself an "intermediate" I certainly wasn't rating my skills higher than that. You're VERY modest Robert.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I can play "twinkle twinkle little star" in pretty much any key!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast