Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What's Your Skill Level - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Your Skill Level

Post Thanks / Like

I can play "Louie Louie" in pretty much any key!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

About a month ago, my neighbor saw me doing some yard work outside and came over to talk to me. She asked me if I was learning to play the electric guitar .... guess my amp was louder than I thought

She went on to say that she has noticed my recent playing was better than when I first started......

So I guess my skill level is somewhere between not having the neighbors call the cops for disturbing the peace and having someone who does not play guitar being able to recognize that I am playing the guitar and not torturing my cats......

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, guess it's about time that I posted a serious answer to a legitimate question.

I'd say I'm a guitar player of intermediate skills, though fairly narrow in scope. My "thing" is classic rock and blues, and I do 90+% of my playing on electric guitars. As anyone who's read a few of my posts around here knows, I'm a "techie" by natural affinity, and enjoy fooling around with the hardware almost as much as playing with/through it.

I have no-zip-zilch formal training on guitar or music theory in general, and am essentially 100% self-taught, having picked up the guitar initially at the age of 15. At 56 years of age, I now regret this somewhat, because I realize how much it has limited my development as a guitarist over the years. On the plus side, God has blessed me with a pretty good ear, so I'm generally able to pick stuff up pretty quickly from hearing it. If I listen to and plunk away on something for awhile, I can usually pick it up pretty well, as long as it's not too fast/technically demanding.

I play almost exclusively for my own enjoyment. I've never played in a band or musical group, other than providing acoustic accompaniment for my old church youth group MANY moons ago. When I graduated from college in '73, got a job and finally had the money to buy my first electric guitar & amp (a used Fender Strat and Princeton Reverb, sold a couple of years later), I no longer had the spare time to devote to it, between work & other interests.

I continued to pick up my acoustic guitar occasionally until the early 80's and then pretty much got away from playing until the late 90's, when the itch to buy another Strat got the best of me. But things really took off about two years ago when I bought my Epiphone Elitist LP Standard and started playing on a nearly daily basis. Since then, I've acquired that list of stuff that you see in my forum signature below. GAS--wonderful for the soul, bad for the checking account! I've slowly but steadily improved the past two years, and can certainly play well enough to entertain and enjoy myself. My church (a pretty conservative Lutheran sect) has been talking about starting a new "contemporary" service that will employ guitars (acoustic and electric) as part of the music program, and I'm hoping to broaden my horizons by participating in that.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Yeah, I think you're right. We have some pretty good players here, but nobody seems to want to admit to it. We're pretty leery of "totem-polling" here at TheFret, I think.

If you've been to Robert's website, you know of his very considerable skills! But you might get a better idea of what some of the other guys can do by poking around in the Member Clips forum and listening to some of the posted clip links there. Listen & judge for yourself.
    Well, it's not uncommon for people to understate their ability unless you are Terrel Owens.

I found my way here through Robert's site and probably was checking out the site for about two weeks before venturing over here. So when Robert is modest, it sort of becomes the scale of measurement. Although people were being modest, I think we got some good background info, I enjoyed reading them, including reading yours DVM.

I did check out the clips, that is actually how I got the idea for the thread. I noticed FrankAxtell's clips, but I don't recall seeing his posts anywhere else.

I also noticed there are at least a few that have a in-depth tech knowledge (at least compared to me) and that certainly is a plus for a forum. I know nothing about acoustics and when I started communicating with Dreadman, I began swapping out saddles, adjusting truss rods - the little things that are needed on acoustics as the seasons change. I have another thread I want to start pertaining to set-ups and I will probably do that in a couple of hours.

Oh DVM, I like the clip. I have to get myself set-up to record so I can have a record of progress. Probably going to be coming to you guys for recommendations.
    Last edited by just strum; October 26th, 2007 at 04:35 PM.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Just for future reference:

DVM = Duh Voodoo Man

DMV = Dept. of Motor Vehicles

I'd just as soon not be confused with the latter. I spent a month there one afternoon....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Oh DMV, I like the clip. I have to get myself set-up to record so I can have a record of progress. Probably going to be coming to you guys for recommendations.
    Use 'search'. We've discussed quite a few options you might find useful. Do you want a stand alone recorder or to use your computer?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is an easy question for me. I SUCK! But I don't care, I enjoy it. I play to release tension and relax, and I love it.

By the way GG, I loved that story. Tell the neighbors to keep listening.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Just for future reference:

DVM = Duh Voodoo Man

DMV = Dept. of Motor Vehicles

I'd just as soon not be confused with the latter. I spent a month there one afternoon....
    Sorry, if the name isn't taken would you consider using it so my post doesn't have such an obvious error?

I'll resond to your answer - "I didn't think so"

I guess I will edit.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    I can play "twinkle twinkle little star" in pretty much any key!
    I can play Star-Spangled Banner and when I run it through my AD30VT, I guess I can do some Hendrix.ude:
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I guess I will edit.
    Aw, you didn't have to do that! Like I said, "for future reference". But thanks! :

Sorry for being so anal. See what a career in quality assurance does to a person?

P.S. If you want to do some home recording on the cheap, all you really need is a microphone, a PC with a mic input on the sound card, and THIS....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Aw, you didn't have to do that! Like I said, "for future reference". But thanks! :

Sorry for being so anal. See what a career in quality assurance does to a person?

P.S. If you want to do some home recording on the cheap, all you really need is a microphone, a PC with a mic input on the sound card, and THIS....
    I'm just as anal because once you pointed it out it would have bugged the ----- out of me knowing it was there.

I have Audacity on both my laptop and desktop. I need to get a better mic. It serves the purpose of monitoring progress, but some day I would like a decent set-up, but first I have to justify it by my level of talent and that leads us back to the subject and sorry to say I have a long way to go. However, despite the ruts and frustration, I still enjoy myself. Part of my desire is driven by the same thing as Shiner - escape from stress. Nothing is more of an escape and/or rewarding as getting into "the zone" and luckily that can happen at any level.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I'm the best, but I don't think I'm the worst. I started playing at 17 yrs. old, I'll be 53 next month. It's hard for me to "rate" myself. I love playing blues, so I guess I'm OK playing blues, because that's what I practice mostly, pentatonic scales and such. I'm not a fingerpicker, and wouldn't be much of a bach/rocker, or the next EVH. Does that make sense?
    I suppose I'd judge my own skill level as "intermediate" as far as what I enjoy playing, but less than that as a well rounded musician.
    Kinda like a good barbeque cook asked to prepare a quiche and broasted salmon off the cuff....
    I'm not being a smartas$, that's just the best way I can descibe it....
    When I'm playing blues and just let go and play, bending notes, slurs, deadening strings, crashing, banging, wringing all I can out of it, I get LOTS more feeling and emotion out of it, and that's when I feel I play best, not when I'm trying to "fit in", or going through the motions. It's a transcendental oneness thing....... (is that a word?)....oh well, hard to describe....
    It might be easier to check out the collab. tunes, members clips, videos, etc., and let each decide what they enjoy most.
    There's such a wealth of talent here, from jazz, rock, country, blues, etc., and live playing to polished studio recordings, that I'd be hard pressed to assess a skill level of one individual.
    One thing for sure, though. We have fun!!!!! That's why it's called "playing"!!
    Peace and love... ude:
    Oldguy
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    One thing for sure, though. We have fun!!!!! That's why it's called "playing"!!
    Peace and love... ude:
    Oldguy
    +1 oldguy! As a matter of fact, I'm heading out the door in a few minutes to do just that - Buck's Bar and Grill Halloween Bash! Sounds like its gonna be b@lls to the wall and all a$$es and elbows! FUN STUFF!

Sorry guys, no KISS costumes this year. I'm going as a Rock Star this year ::

See ya on the flipside!

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33

Trev

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33

Trev
    We are going to want pictures....again.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 35, and have been making an effort at playing since about age 15. At the height of lessons and practicing multiple hours per day, I would have placed my abilities solidly in the intermediate camp. I knew a few speedy lead runs, could solo in just about any key up and down the neck, and had enough rhythm prowess to fake my way through a song or two. My knowledge of theory was enough to know the names of the modes and how they relate to each other. I could play the music I heard in my head, and that was about good enough for me.

These days, my technical skills have eroded somewhat. I don't play as fast or as loud as I used to. I'd like to think that my rhythm playing has improved. I'd still put myself in the intermediate range, but with different priorities.

Robert, you are WAY underestimating your lead abilities! :
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

yes, if our benchmark players like Robert and others (you/we know who you are) are underestimating themselves then I'm in the negative.

Post Thanks / Like

It's kinda hard to grade myself but I found some old clips of my guitar playing years ago and I only can say I have improved some since then. I made some clips a while ago but this time I have some drums to play along with. Turned out that the drums has to be louder than me or I'll stray. Playing the guitar alone is no problem. Played with the neighbor who played drums and that was no problem. Drum machines do not have a tolerance.

I don't have very good ears and no imaginations hardly so I use the tabs but before the tabs came around I've read standard notations. Back in the late 60s and early 70s I played lead in a surf instrumental band (we were named The Brazen Men) til my stupid drummer died of alcohol poisoning.

Now I'm just a bedroom jammee with a drum machine. At least I'm having fun and I don't think my playing's too bad as some friends calls me and tells me to bring my guitar.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

As mentioned in a previous post, I had my first ever guitar lesson today. It was pretty cool. The local guitar teacher has me on a standby list if he has a cancellation or someone misses a class, so I have to jump in on short notice.

He's going to work on some theory, scales, leads/soloing with me which is just what I need. Ran through maj and min pentatonic scales in various positions on the fretboard, some cool little bends and worked a bit on tying them together. : I have some work ahead of me, but it's so much better having someone show me, in 3-D rather than trying to glean it from paper or a DVD.

My skill level may just ratchet up a notch! Look out world, Rawk Star in the making

My teacher is a guitar player/vocalist/songwriter for THIS band.

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast