Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What's Your Skill Level

Post Thanks / Like

Man it's lonesome down here in the bottom of this pit all alone.
    Washburn J28SCE Cumberland
    Washburn D10S
    Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday
    Friends Are Cherished Music Is Pleasure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Skill Level

Hey PAPPY, I'm right down with ya brother!! I know different ways of doing major/minor/seventh chords, strumming patterns, where a decent amount of notes are. I just lack the time I need to PRACTICE to get better!! So, like my golf game, I can keep IT in play, just way more strokes than I want. The GOOD thing is that I realize the reason that I'm not better is TIME.

Post Thanks / Like

im also so in the middle. I've been wanting to learn a metal scale

Post Thanks / Like

Hard question to answer.
    If you say you're good, people thing you're full of yourself.
    Say you suck and many people believe you.

You decide:
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=324570055
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandid=805504
    http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rty+ernie+band

Cheers,
    - JJ
    My Momma always said "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
    She was funny like that.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I'm taking lessons I started thinking maybe I could answer this differently. Although the lessons have had good results and I'm better than I was when I started the thread, I'm not sure where I am at on the road that I travel. Maybe a new category - Improved Beginner.

Maybe I will let down my macho image and pull over at a GAS station and find out where I am.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum

Maybe I will let down my macho image and pull over at a GAS station and find out where I am.

Post Thanks / Like

hey strum...glad you revived this thread....lots of new members here that i think will enjoy reading this thread (and adding to it).

i'll believe that macho bit when i see it!!

i agree that now that i am taking lessons i think my skill level is going to increase. i have a lesson tomorrow and i am going to talk to my instructor because i think he assumes i am better than i am. we have been working mainly on scales and improvisation (which i told him i wanted to learn) but i think i want to back up and also work on chord progressions and such in different keys so maybe i can lay down some rhtym tracks and then improvise leads over them.

I chose samba pa ti by santana as my first lead song to learn and it is definitely harder than i thought!!

so right now i am a learning beginner!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this has been an interesting read. No wonder I like it here so much- so much knowledge in one place is a rare find. And yes, I do think y'all are too hard on yourselves for the most part- I've listened to a lot of clips and have enjoyed them immensely.

I've only been doing this for several months, lessons for the last month (and already on my 2nd instructor ) but I think the potential is there. Scales are coming along nicely. I believe I have a good ear and good timing and that helps. I just have a couple of songs I'm learning (Melissa and the old standby, Heart of Gold) but they are getting better each time I practice. I think my biggest weakness is impatience with myself, wanting to be better than I am and realizing that it takes practice and time.

All of y'all are a lot more inspiration than you think you are to me and, I'm sure, to a lot of others here. Keep it up! :

pes_laul Guest

Lately I have been teaching my two friends how to play and I think I have become better while teaching them.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, maybe stretching it a bit, but I'd probably classify myself as an intermediate recreational player. Anything I play that sounds remotely good requires a lot of repetitive practice. Like anything in this world, you get out what you put into something. I truly love playing guitar (again), and I appreciate the support and inspiration that comes from a site like this one.

I've been writing a few riffs and jingles lately that I'd like to record as songs... nothing elaborate, but something I'd like to post anyway.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Algonquin; April 15th, 2008 at 03:23 AM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really not much of a guitar player. I just enjoy it. I feel that I reached my peak when I was in high school. Now I just play for fun. That is all that's important.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I'm somewhere around moderate/ok when it comes to rythm guitar and acoustic stuff. lead guitar i'm not very good but i can play lead without sounding bad....i just don't sound good either
    Last edited by Carlström; April 15th, 2008 at 02:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose im at the intermediate stage, I did a bit of playing years ago and returned last year. I havent the slightest idea how to read music (is it worth learning?) and read entirely from tab \ video instruction, to be honest I'd be lost without it. Im learning the pentatonic scale right now and find it very helpful when attempting a solo.
    Guitars: Fender Deluxe Telecaster, Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster, Simon & Patrick Acoustic

Amp(s): VOX AD50VT, Fender Deluxe

Effects: BOSS DD6, Carlsbro Wah

"The best amplifier is your guitar pick" - Mark Knopfler.

Post Thanks / Like

id think im intermediate on both bass and guitar... though im a ton better at baass (4 more years of playing that) i haven't picked up my bass at home for a couple months... weird. i can play alot of coheed and cambria songs on both bass and rythm guitar. the rhythm guitar inst that advanced but i think the bass is pretty tricky and took me a couple months of practice to get the hang of. i just learned about 5 or 6 metallica songs this month.i play bass in my high schools jazz band so that gives me some practice time to practice blues, latin, and rock.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been "playing" since 1975 with a LONG layoff through the career building years, newlywed years and kids in diapers phase....:

I am beginner - intermediate on the acoustic. Very modest fingerpicking skills, but like Guitar George...I know all the chords. I can sit in and figure something out with more accomplished players. Still can't sing and play at a level that goes much higher than a campfire party.

As for electric play, I am a n00b lead player (but practicing all the time and improving dramatically these days) and ok at rythym guitar. I know a ton of tunes. I am still feeling my way through the best use of effects and my amp too. But its fun and i play almost every day - very tolerant wife!:

Post Thanks / Like

I'd best describe myself as a "hack" of all trades. Nothing great, nothing fancy, just dabbles of styles from here and there. My attention deficit disorder keeps me from focusing on just one particular style which I find both a blessing and a curse.

I just try to play to the best of my abilities and work daily to improve my skill.

I set my sights high and I've got a long, long, LONG way to go before I'd ever call myself an accomplished musician.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    I think the beginner-to-intermediate shift happens when your focus becomes less about the mechanics of playing the instrument (how to hold the pick, how to finger a G chord, etc.) and more about what you play on it (learning songs, improvising over changes, etc.). At some point you spend more time thinking about playing music and less about playing guitar. IMHO.
    I have always wondered when one could consider oneself an intermediate.

I like your definition. I'd say I'm a beginner with a toe or two through the intermediate doorway.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Hm..my skill level? I know quite a few scales and chords, and have been in jam sessions without sounding horrendous.

My goal is to become as good of a soloist as I can be, I suppose, to the point where the girls fall at my feet...*wakes up from the daydream*.

I happen to think peoples' guitar skill is irrelevant so long as he/she enjoys it. Look at a community like this...while not everybody is a guitar virtuoso, we all love to talk about the instrument and all that goes along with it, and to me, that's a very good thing that should continue to be enjoyed by all.

Post Thanks / Like

I d say , i'm intermediate + , let say ,maybe versatile, playin all kind of music.
    The soul is much more important to me than the technic but i like to learn new licks and tricks to improve and to get out of my owne patterns and clichés..

Blazes
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456